General [M]ayhem

General [M]ayhem (http://www.genmay.com/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.genmay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Distribution of wealth & real meaning of patriotism (http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=838486)

[H]ard|On 10-18-2011 02:04 PM

Distribution of wealth & real meaning of patriotism

Forget the protesters, that thread has run it's course. I'd like to address the few of you that steadily refuse to see the importance of a strong middle class and minimizing poverty.

When an individual hoards wealth well beyond what they need for several generations and refuses to give back to the society they live in - an unnatural event is happening that is allowed only by the structure of society, reminiscent of kingdoms and surfs.

In an "open" or truly free society with no laws that person would have been hunted down and robbed for resources by those who need them. Today the mega-rich hide behind the protection of the law. If we create legally enforced moral guidelines for the poor not to plunder the rich, it's not any less fair to create legally enforced moral guidelines for the rich to not plunder poor. This creates what we call a middle class.

Smartly over the years we have made a way to ensure people contribute to the country proportionately to their success instead of simply taking advantage of it: income taxes and various anti monopoly laws for instance. This system worked for a while but deregulation and lowered tax rates have undermined the concept. Combined with mindless military spending it has finally brought the country to its knees.

Some rich people like Bill Gates voluntarily donate hundreds of millions of dollars annually to various causes. Most rich people don't however. We may not achieve a perfect distribution of wealth based on your beneficial impact on society since it's a hard thing to measure, but we can make it "fair enough" to grow the middle class instead of shrinking it. So...

Stop defending those that hurt the country by absorbing massive amounts of money they don't actually deserve. It's a shitty stance to take even if you're one of the rich, and totally dellusional and mindless if you're one of the poor. Which you are.

[URL="http://www.uploderx.net/display.php?id=133936"][IMG]http://www.uploderx.net/dphrag/monop2162.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL="http://www.uploderx.net/display.php?id=133934"][IMG]http://www.uploderx.net/dphrag/slide1309.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL="http://www.uploderx.net/display.php?id=133935"][IMG]http://www.uploderx.net/dphrag/pttpintrovideo965.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[YOUTUBE]TvZP93XqyTw[/YOUTUBE]

[SIZE="5"]None of this is new - it's an old struggle to keep corruption down and people in power. And it's time for some maintanance.[/SIZE]

g|aSsJaw 10-18-2011 02:07 PM

How do you figure that they don't "actually deserve the money"?

pyramid 10-18-2011 02:10 PM

*serfs...

[H]ard|On 10-18-2011 02:16 PM

[QUOTE=pyramid;24897686]*serfs...[/QUOTE]

lol oops

why_ask_why 10-18-2011 02:18 PM

*smurfs

[H]ard|On 10-18-2011 02:20 PM

[QUOTE=g|aSsJaw;24897684]How do you figure that they don't "actually deserve the money"?[/QUOTE]

If someone made a formula to compute your benefit to society versus your income you could illustrate this. For now you just have to look at the discrepancy between a laborer who works his ass off and some suit making 18 million every quarter.

The laborer wants to get by, the suit wants another 18 million so he outsources the laborer's job.

That's not patriotic, that's not helping anybody - it's taking advantage of underdeveloped countries and bypassing our own laws (minimum wage, worker rights/benefits etc)

Those actions do not deserve huge monetary compensation, I'm sorry they just don't. Maybe you could tell me why they do? :confused:

g|aSsJaw 10-18-2011 02:30 PM

[QUOTE='[H]ard|On;24897694']If someone made a formula to compute your benefit to society versus your income you could illustrate this. For now you just have to look at the discrepancy between a laborer who works his ass off and some suit making 18 million every quarter.

The laborer wants to get by, the suit wants another 18 million so he outsources the laborer's job.

That's not patriotic, that's not helping anybody - it's taking advantage of underdeveloped countries and bypassing our own laws (minimum wage, worker rights/benefits etc)

[b]Those actions do not deserve huge monetary compensation, I'm sorry they just don't. Maybe you could tell me why they do? :confused:[/b][/QUOTE]

I wasn't trying to be argumentative, I just wanted you to clarify that statement a bit. I totally agree with you, I think the compensation these guys receive even when they've done a terrible job and get fired is ridiculous. I have nothing against the guys who give back, like Warren Buffet and Bill Gates, but sadly it seems that a majority of them are more concerned with getting more and more for themselves.

gribly 10-18-2011 02:37 PM

I agree [H]ard|On, and you just described Steve Jobs in a nutshell- which many don't even realize.

g|aSsJaw 10-18-2011 02:41 PM

[QUOTE=gribly;24897704]I agree [H]ard|On, and you just described Steve Jobs in a nutshell- which many don't even realize.[/QUOTE]

HOW DARE YOU SMEAR THE NAME OF STEVE JOBS

DreamWarrior 10-18-2011 02:43 PM

What I love most about the corporate suits is they tend never to look long term. In my opinion, they couldn't actually give a fuck less whether their solution helps or hurts the company long term, so long as they get their bonus for the short term gains.

I've seen so many really dumb fucking decisions made. I could see the long term costs were going to be higher than the short term savings. But, the fuck tard suit who made the decision gets short term results, a large bonus, and moves on to the next place to work his magic again, getting yet another bonus. In fact, some of these assholes just work up a cookie cutter solution that they tow around with them. Implementing it at any company fortunate (or unfortunate) enough to come across them and buy into their bullshit. Of course, years down the road the shit hits the fan, that asshole's solution is losing the company tons of money. Of course, he's gone, received his bonus, probably fucked some other company up the same way even though the solution has failed miserably. Worse, the poor schmucks left to deal with the consequences are being paid much less to clean up the mess. It's insufferable.

[H]ard|On 10-18-2011 02:53 PM

[QUOTE=g|aSsJaw;24897699]I wasn't trying to be argumentative, I just wanted you to clarify that statement a bit. I totally agree with you, I think the compensation these guys receive even when they've done a terrible job and get fired is ridiculous. I have nothing against the guys who give back, like Warren Buffet and Bill Gates, but sadly it seems that a majority of them are more concerned with getting more and more for themselves.[/QUOTE]

:cool:

I like the responses so far.

It's important to keep in mind that these mega-rich people didn't get rich by themselves. They did it with the [B]help of millions that bought their products or used their services! [/b] :rolleyes: :wtf:

If you were the only person on this planet, you wouldn't be very well off. You would pick some berries, maybe eat a dead carcass. You certainly wouldn't have someone else driving you, cleaning your house, and making sure you aren't sick. We all like eating food, that someone else grew and prepared. We all like shitting indoors so we need plumbers. To ignore all of this and screw everybody around you as hard as possible is illogical, unethical and ought to be illegal :(

DreamWarrior 10-18-2011 03:04 PM

[QUOTE='[H]ard|On;24897717']To ignore all of this and screw everybody around you as hard as possible is illogical, unethical and ought to be illegal :([/QUOTE]
Honestly, I think these fucks are so self-consumed that they don't even think of it as screwing anyone. I don't even know if they realize the long term ramifications of what they do. And, when you look at the type of personality it takes to get that filthy rich, it's really not surprising.

cc88 10-18-2011 03:18 PM

fuck all will happen with all these bullshit talks about wealth distribution

its funny cause up here in canuck-land, people are protesting, but in about a month when the climate turns mega cold, those fortunate enough to "protest"(unemployed/hipsters living off mommy; bums) will go running back indoors and watch mtv

joemama 10-18-2011 03:38 PM

Someone (I can't recall who) once said that if all the excess wealth in America were to be distributed evenly...within 10 years most of the once rich would be wealthy again, and the majority of once poor would be back where they started. I think there is a lot of truth in that..;)

g|aSsJaw 10-18-2011 03:47 PM

[QUOTE=joemama;24897755]Someone (I can't recall who) once said that if all the excess wealth in America were to be distributed evenly...within 10 years most of the once rich would be wealthy again, and the majority of once poor would be back where they started. I think there is a lot of truth in that..;)[/QUOTE]

I can kind of see that being true. Look at the Lotto winners who lose everything :lol: