General [M]ayhem

General [M]ayhem (http://www.genmay.com/index.php)
-   Bone Closet (http://www.genmay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Anybody here that has been dealing with restless leg syndrome? (http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=829507)

acdcking12 06-07-2010 11:26 AM

Anybody here that has been dealing with restless leg syndrome?

I have been dealing with it over three years now, and as I get closer to 40, (38 now),it has been getting worse.

But what I have read about it, there doesnt seem to be many treatment options.

Anything anybody here has tried before that seems to work for you?

Typhoon43 06-07-2010 11:33 AM

How restless are they? I ask this because I constantly shake my legs whenever I sit in a chair.

acdcking12 06-07-2010 11:37 AM

I shake them when I am sitting only because I tend to be nervous. But in the evenings, I cant sit down sometimes because they feel that they need to move.

So I tend to walk around the house a lot. laugh

Zildjian 06-07-2010 01:40 PM

I always thought RLS was a con. Granted this is based on zero scientific info but it seems like you might just have loads of nervous energy and need to get rid of some of it. Do you exercise regularly?

theNoid 06-07-2010 02:46 PM

[QUOTE=typhoon43;24383808]How restless are they? I ask this because I constantly shake my legs whenever I sit in a chair.[/QUOTE]

I swear to God I do this nonstop.. but its the worst when I'm sitting down and eating. I cannot for the life of me stop wiggling/bouncing my legs when eating. Outside of that, I never am restless.. the couch, the bed .. I'm find everywhere other than sitting in a chair eating.

hipnotyk 06-07-2010 03:50 PM

i think i might have it. when im sitting on a couch watching tv my legs will feel this itch to move, it gets really irritating. I assumed its because I run almost every day and it acts up when I'm not regular with my exercise.

Gibonius 06-07-2010 04:19 PM

I've heard people describe it more like worms crawling under your skin than "I gotta move my legs and I dunno why." From what I gather, exercise helps keep in under control. My mom has dealt with it and she's not a hypochondriac by any means.

xagent 06-07-2010 06:58 PM

No

I shake my legs constantly while seated. Sometimes I do this subconsciously without even noticing it... it could be while I'm working, as I'm watching TV, eating, you name it. It's not only when I'm nervous or full of energy. I could be completely occupied or tired.

I exercise regularly, weight training including lower body (squats, deads, cleans, leg press,salves) and ton of hiking and biking and snowboarding. I still get this.

it's basically resting my legs on my toes, and shaking fastly my legs/knees up and down. sometimes i do it with 1 leg, sometimes both.

Have never experienced any itching, pins and needles, pain, electrical feelings, numbness. So is what I'm facing RLS? Iam just going by what wikipedia and webmd say.

ApathyEcstasy 06-07-2010 08:22 PM

I was told by someone that calcium-magnesium supplements help reduce/eliminate restless leg syndrome. It could just be a placebo effect, but I tried it and it worked for me. I've been dealing with restless legs for my entire life.

MrUnexpected 06-09-2010 07:36 PM

get a different couch.

i had the "textbook" signs of rls. then i got a new couch, problem solved.

try different sitting postures, chairs, etc. most "comfy" seating is actually pretty crappy for you, posture and health wise. athough my new couches are actually MORE soft and comfy...

but yea, from what ive read its pretty much just a made-up disorder.

Nib 06-10-2010 06:00 PM

Only in opiate withdrawal do I get them, and man I used to laugh when I saw the commercials for RLS drugs on T.V, but that is probably by far the worst W/D symptom.

Can't sleep at night cause you just have to constantly kick and punch your fucking legs cause they won't stop moving. I feel for anyone who has that normally, but good luck getting a doc to prescribe it for that. Not like you would want an opiate addiction anyway unless the RLS was really just destroying your life.

Good luck cause that shit fucking sucks.

Heres a page about RLS and treatments [url]http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/restless-leg-syndrome-treatment[/url]

chuckybob 06-10-2010 07:44 PM

i do the exact same thing for 6-7 hours/day. dont fucking sweat it, its good exercise.

mainbrotha 06-10-2010 09:03 PM

[QUOTE=Zildjian;24384051]I always thought RLS was a con[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way. I always shake my leg, and I don't feel like it's a "disease" or a "syndrome", I feel like it's a bad habit. I'm interning right now with my town's prosecutor's office and I sit at the prosecution table in a court room. I know the judge probably can't see my leg shaking, but the more I think about whether or not the judge can see it, the more I consciously try and stop it. I really think it's just a nervous/anxious habit people need to work through, much like my own habit of cracking my knuckles.

Chilly 06-10-2010 11:42 PM

[QUOTE=mainbrotha;24389094]I feel the same way. I always shake my leg, and I don't feel like it's a "disease" or a "syndrome", I feel like it's a bad habit. I'm interning right now with my town's prosecutor's office and I sit at the prosecution table in a court room. I know the judge probably can't see my leg shaking, but the more I think about whether or not the judge can see it, the more I consciously try and stop it. I really think it's just a nervous/anxious habit people need to work through, much like my own habit of cracking my knuckles.[/QUOTE]

QFT, I usually idly bounce my leg or jiggle a foot depending on how I'm sitting. If I catch myself doing it I can stop, but it doesn't bother me (or to my knowledge has affected my life negatively) so I don't care too much.

Edit:
[quote=WebMD]People with RLS have strange sensations in their legs (and sometimes arms) and an irresistible urge to move their legs to relieve the sensations. The sensations are difficult to describe: they are not painful, but an uncomfortable, "itchy," "pins and needles," or "creepy crawly" feeling deep in the legs. The sensations are usually worse at rest, especially when lying in bed. The sensations lead to walking discomfort, sleep deprivation, and stress.[/quote]

This isn't me, I just fidget I guess.

T-Unit 06-11-2010 12:11 PM

That thing from WebMD describes me perfectly from a few years ago, I couldn't get my legs to lay still in bed for more than 15 seconds. The only way I could fall asleep is if I locked them in a certain way, although I may have just been causing myself to pass out due to me knees being locked.

This used to happen every night for about 2 years, now I get it maybe once or twice a month.