General [M]ayhem

General [M]ayhem (http://www.genmay.com/index.php)
-   Automotive [M]ayhem (http://www.genmay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Beginners Bike Guide (http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=522054)

Trachei 09-06-2005 09:36 AM

[QUOTE=Social Misfit]Would a brand new Yamaha R6 be too much for me? I'm 6'3, 260lbs. Reason being is tomorrow i'm going to a Yamaha shop that just opened up in town to see if the owner might hire me, since he knows my dad. Last time I was there for their grand opening they had a 2005 R1 in jewel blue and I fell in love, but I probably don't need nearly 1000CC's of motor under me for my first bike, and the fact that it was $11,000 kind of throws me off. But the R6 seems to be a bit more in my range. Whats the motobike gods opinions?[/QUOTE]

with you being 260lbs, you will get tired of the R6 kind of early. What you should do is get a 500cc to learn on, ride that for a few months (yes you might look a little dorky since you are so big) and maybe have a trusting friend with an R6 let you ride that. Either way, you are a big dude and even if you get an R6 you'll have to do some suspension mods to counteract your weight.

TI Cruiser 09-07-2005 06:53 AM

what would be a good recommended starter yamaha sportbike, aka what is their entry level offering...

k1114 09-07-2005 10:16 AM

Suppose i'll chime in. Bought a Honda Rebel 250 (233 is the actual CC IIRC) and i'm loving it, although i'm still honestly scared shitless of it. Definately has its speed limitations but I view that as a good thing. Got a helmet (3/4 with a full visor) and I always ride in long pants and all that, although I need to get a good jacket and gloves. It's getting a bit colder here in the mornings and I would feel a lot better if I was in "full" gear when I rode.

ArpaWocky 09-08-2005 07:18 AM

[QUOTE=Berticus]anyone have any gear recommendations for non-leather armor or helmets? streetbike style[/QUOTE]
Any textile type jackets work pretty good. Most come with a liner for colder weather, and look pretty sporty. I have an alpinestars venom airflow jacket, and I still sweat my ass off in it, but its 90+ here. As for helmets, check out the new scorpion exo series. They've gotten awesome reviews as being shoei/arai quality but much cheaper.

ArpaWocky 09-08-2005 07:18 AM

[QUOTE=TI Cruiser]what would be a good recommended starter yamaha sportbike, aka what is their entry level offering...[/QUOTE]
YZF 600R, or the FZ6 depending on what style you like.

TwinTurboGirl 09-09-2005 12:42 PM

I just bought a 90 yamaha FZR600 as my first bike. They're good bikes except that I can't touch the ground (the shock is out) so i'm just going to go ahead and sell it and buy this 92 FZR600 I found.

k1114 09-09-2005 06:40 PM

[QUOTE=ArpaWocky]Any textile type jackets work pretty good. Most come with a liner for colder weather, and look pretty sporty. I have an alpinestars venom airflow jacket, and I still sweat my ass off in it, but its 90+ here. As for helmets, check out the new scorpion exo series. They've gotten awesome reviews as being shoei/arai quality but much cheaper.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting this, I did some reading on the Scorpion Exo seires and I went in and bought one today :) Got a matte black exo 700 locally, was pretty much the same price as online. It's definately strange going from a cheap 3/4 to a full, but I feel a lot more protected now.

SoulChaser 09-13-2005 06:01 AM

passed my MSF aka MREP this weekend which means my license is in the mail :D

I did find the class very informative and the riding exercises were fun

Now I need to find a bike for next spring, I rode a Honda Nighthawk 250 for the weekend

Lebowski 09-13-2005 09:09 AM

If anyone in Dallas tx is looking for a good starter bike PM me. I've got an 89 gs500 That I want to sell.

This is a fun bike. Will have new fork seals and front brakes in about a week.

ReTECH 09-14-2005 12:03 AM

[QUOTE=Berticus]anyone have any gear recommendations for non-leather armor or helmets? streetbike style[/QUOTE]
I got a 4 season textile Joe Rocket for $100 from [url]www.newenough.com[/url] going on 2 years ago. I know some people say JR is cheaply made & falls apart, but that hasn't been my experience. Couple of frayed seams here & there, but no worse than my buddy's brand new (less than 3 month old) AlpineStar ~$400 leather.

Same friend bought the Scorpion exo400 helmet locally, he loves it. He accidentally dropped it (from only a foot or so), & the wind spoiler on the back came loose & flew off... Scorpion repaired it at no charge, & even paid for one way of the shipping costs. Reccomended.

[url]www.newenough.com[/url] gets some great sales going, but I would definitely suggest trying on at least the brand, if not the exact model, in a local store to feel the fit / size.

Note: They only deal in new merchendise. Closeouts, discontinued, prior year models, that sort of thing. The name is a remnant of ther prior work with used & "returned" items.

im2smrt4u 09-14-2005 12:23 AM

[QUOTE=ReTECH]I got a 4 season textile Joe Rocket for $100 from [url]www.newenough.com[/url] going on 2 years ago. I know some people say JR is cheaply made & falls apart, but that hasn't been my experience. Couple of frayed seams here & there, but no worse than my buddy's brand new (less than 3 month old) AlpineStar ~$400 leather.

Same friend bought the Scorpion exo400 helmet locally, he loves it. He accidentally dropped it (from only a foot or so), & the wind spoiler on the back came loose & flew off... Scorpion repaired it at no charge, & even paid for one way of the shipping costs. Reccomended.

[url]www.newenough.com[/url] gets some great sales going, but I would definitely suggest trying on at least the brand, if not the exact model, in a local store to feel the fit / size.

Note: They only deal in new merchendise. Closeouts, discontinued, prior year models, that sort of thing. The name is a remnant of ther prior work with used & "returned" items.[/QUOTE]
Much :heart: for NewEnough. I got my mesh jacket there, and it is a lifesaver riding around town in 100 degree heat, especially with a windshield.

z32tt 09-16-2005 06:18 AM

attn bike riders: God bless the fallen and have mercy on those to fall.

k1114 09-20-2005 03:16 PM

How much should a 600 mile service cost? IIRC it's just an oil change and making sure nothing came loose...

pr0naLd 09-20-2005 03:20 PM

hi, i'm looking to buy a bike at the beginning of next year, would a ducati monster be a good beginner bike? cause i can find one cheap

onewheeldoin200 09-20-2005 04:03 PM

[QUOTE=k1114]How much should a 600 mile service cost? IIRC it's just an oil change and making sure nothing came loose...[/QUOTE]

I'm working off memory here (I did all my own work on my bike b/c it was past warranty)....but I seem to recall it being about $165 Canadian.

[QUOTE=pr0naLd]hi, i'm looking to buy a bike at the beginning of next year, would a ducati monster be a good beginner bike? cause i can find one cheap[/QUOTE]

There are a number of reasons why a Monster is NOT a good bike, and most have to do with cost. Read my first post in this thread.