General [M]ayhem

General [M]ayhem (http://www.genmay.com/index.php)
-   General [M]ayhem (http://www.genmay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Might do a last run of nixie clocks. (http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=840991)

gee 06-21-2012 05:38 PM

Might do a last run of nixie clocks.

I dunno if anyone remembers these things from 5 years back:

[IMG]http://keekles.org/~bryan/nixie-clock/alldone.jpg[/IMG]

(apologies to darkhelmet for stealing his picture/bandwidth)

I came across the box of leftover nixie tubes in my basement earlier, I've got enough of them left over to do about 10 clocks - I have ~50 tubes but they might not all work. I haven't priced any parts yet, but already having half of what I need yet electronics components being more expensive nowdays, I figure they'll cost about ~$80 CAD each if I sell them as kits. I'll do assembly for an extra $20.

Design will be exactly the same as the last time. 4 digits, selectable 12/24 hour mode, no seconds, no alarm, dangerously exposed high voltage, etc. If there's enough interest I'll count parts, test my tubes, price parts, come up with a firm price and get this on the go.

So, anyone interested?

[H]ard|On 06-21-2012 05:58 PM

Is there a commonly sold enclosure from Frys or something that will fit over the base if I drill some holes?

How long do these tubes last?

asa 06-21-2012 06:07 PM

I'm definitely interested if you'll answer Erection's second question, don't so much care about the first

gee 06-21-2012 06:26 PM

I don't know of any perfectly suitable enclosures, but I haven't really gone hunting for one. The base of the clock is 4" x 1.5" square, and about 0.8" from the bottom of the bottom PCB to the top of the top PCB, so anything equivalent to that should be fine.

One of my friends milled a base for one of these clocks out of a piece of hardwood, and it looks excellent, though I don't have any pics.

Nixie tubes have a very long lifetime, perhaps decades, if they're properly made - they don't have an inherent wearout mechaism. I have a clock on my desk at work that's been pretty much continuously powered since 2006 and it's working fine. Other than that, I'd say google around for an estimated lifetime - the tubes used on this clock are Soviet IN-14s.

Glory Hallelujah 06-21-2012 06:29 PM

Those are really cool and that looks much cheaper than the other ones I've looked at online.

I'm also very interested pending answer to how long they last. Also, where about are you located? $CAD so shipping shouldn't be much for me :cool:

Code: [M]ayhem 06-21-2012 06:40 PM

[b]Why don't you take 3 fingers and 50 of those nixie tubes and shove them up your ass you stupid retarded fuckstick :tard:[/b]

Nomad 06-21-2012 06:41 PM

i'd take one too. wanted one last time but couldn't afford it.

gee 06-21-2012 06:49 PM

[QUOTE=Glory Hallelujah;25043394]Those are really cool and that looks much cheaper than the other ones I've looked at online.

I'm also very interested pending answer to how long they last. Also, where about are you located? $CAD so shipping shouldn't be much for me :cool:[/QUOTE]
Lifetime... I've done plenty of hunting but can't find a lifetime spec for the IN-14. According to the wikipedia article on nixies, later tubes have upwards of 200,000 hours of lifetime, and these were some of the last tubes made by the soviets, so I'm hoping it's closer to that number.

Halifax. I make these things for fun, and make pretty much no money selling them - last time I made just under $5 for each unassembled clock kit. I could probably start a bit of a business selling these things for a fair bit more money, but I'm busy enough as it is and there's enough people out there doing that already.

Code: [M]ayhem 06-21-2012 07:06 PM

[b]Eat a bag of shit you stupid noob fuck nobody cares :tard:[/b]

asa 06-21-2012 07:47 PM

what abouts is involved in us putting them together? will it be along the lines of Ikea furniture, where you insert slot A into tab B? or do you actually have to think at it

i'm good at soldering work, but i have issues doing electrical

Xcric 06-21-2012 07:49 PM

exposure to high voltage you say?

asa 06-21-2012 07:50 PM

[QUOTE=Xcric;25043442]exposure to high voltage you say?[/QUOTE]

danger, danger? high voltage?

Forever Domon 06-21-2012 08:06 PM

If i didnt think code mayhem would come to my house and take a shit on my porch, id make cool wooden enclosures for them and ship em out.

Glory Hallelujah 06-21-2012 10:09 PM

I'll take one. Sent you a PM :cool:

Xcric 06-21-2012 10:13 PM

[QUOTE=asa;25043443]danger, danger? high voltage?[/QUOTE]

to shreds you say