General [M]ayhem

General [M]ayhem (http://www.genmay.com/index.php)
-   Automotive [M]ayhem (http://www.genmay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Beginners Bike Guide (http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=522054)

im2smrt4u 08-20-2005 03:43 PM

[QUOTE=Edo]To all in SoCal, do you guys pretty much ride yoru bike year round or does it get too unbarably cold for some months?[/QUOTE]
Well, sometimes it gets below freezing around here. :lol:

Edo 08-20-2005 11:56 PM

Well actually talked with someone and gave me serious answers around dec-feb or the rainy periods.

Exhibit 08-21-2005 11:03 AM

Went dirtbiking at a friends house last night. I was on a 150 for most of the night (Friend is rich and loves dirtbikes :lol: ), then at the end went on his 250 while he tried out his new 450. He asked if I wanted to try, but fuck I thought I was going to kill myself.

im2smrt4u 08-21-2005 05:55 PM

:pics:
[url]http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?p=15875862[/url]

JaMMin2525 08-21-2005 11:54 PM

[QUOTE=Edo]To all in SoCal, do you guys pretty much ride yoru bike year round or does it get too unbarably cold for some months?[/QUOTE]

haha no dude its nice year around. It might be a little cold during January - Febuary for us beach bums, but as long as u wear all your protective equipement u will be perfectly comfortable. Only thing that stops us is the rain. Now summer thats where i find it more difficult, its so hot u cant wear your protective gear especially with our freeways and surface streets so jammed u dont get any airflow (405, 605 pch) Have fun!

Edo 08-21-2005 11:56 PM

[QUOTE=JaMMin2525]haha no dude its nice year around. It might be a little cold during January - Febuary for us beach bums, but as long as u wear all your protective equipement u will be perfectly comfortable. Only thing that stops us is the rain. Now summer thats where i find it more difficult, its so hot u cant wear your protective gear especially with our freeways and surface streets so jammed u dont get any airflow (405, 605 pch) Have fun![/QUOTE]

thanks for the heads up. Im sure if it was in the valley itd be fine, but coast might be a bit chilly, I was considering if I should aim to go try to get everything around the new years or just wait till spring, thanks for the heads up.

JaMMin2525 08-22-2005 12:04 AM

well i know for a fact around here (long beach), the bikes go down in price in the winter. If i were you i would get it during the winter when the prices are cheaper, u might not get to ride it as much as you would during the spring but i think saving a couple hundred bucks makes it worth while. Plus u would have time to polish mod ect. I rode my bike all this past winter when i sold my car in december and the only time i didnt ride was when it rained. As long as i wore my leath. jacket, full helmet, gloves and pants i was completly comfortable.

SoulChaser 08-22-2005 12:45 PM

So my dad finally unleashed me into the streets, Sunday we went for a ride, he has a 2004 Kawasaki Concurs and I was riding my aunts 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic. This was my first time on a road bike and my first time on the streets. We rode for about 2 hours did just over 80 miles I think.

It was a blast, the feeling of cutting through the air and lanes seem so wide when your are on a bike. It was great and sealed the deal I am going for my MSF training and getting my liscence soon, hopefully one weekend this september.

karax 08-22-2005 07:48 PM

Question: how bad is upshifting without the clutch? I did it by accident today when my hand slipped off the clutch but my foot kept going up.

I was surprised how it worked fine and didnt grind at all.

onewheeldoin200 08-22-2005 08:26 PM

[QUOTE=karax]Question: how bad is upshifting without the clutch? I did it by accident today when my hand slipped off the clutch but my foot kept going up.

I was surprised how it worked fine and didnt grind at all.[/QUOTE]

Actually if done right it's barely hard on the tranny at all, and it saves your clutch.

karax 08-22-2005 08:54 PM

[QUOTE=onewheeldoin200]Actually if done right it's barely hard on the tranny at all, and it saves your clutch.[/QUOTE]

Well then, I must learn and practice this more.

Thanks.

McKnight 08-23-2005 08:58 AM

[QUOTE=karax]Well then, I must learn and practice this more.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

If you want to make a quick and smooth launch, you can do that. But unless youre under some hard acceleration, dont do it. Just a track trick.

karax 08-23-2005 02:17 PM

welll it doesnt matter anyway... today was my last day with my bike. Im going off to school tomorrow and I cant bring it with me, and by the time I'll be back it will be winter.

So I have to wait until like march if Im lucky, or may to ride again :(

WickedAngel 08-24-2005 02:32 PM

I've been thinking about buying a bike for a while now.

I'm 6'1, 185.

I love the looks of the YZFR6/Kawasaki ZX6R but I've been told that those are way too much power to start on.

I don't need ridiculous power, but I want something that looks damned sleek.

Are there any modern-style beginner bikes that look sporty, or am I going to have to take it back to the 80's?

IceMan713 08-24-2005 03:12 PM

[QUOTE=WickedAngel]I've been thinking about buying a bike for a while now.

I'm 6'1, 185.

I love the looks of the YZFR6/Kawasaki ZX6R but I've been told that those are way too much power to start on.

I don't need ridiculous power, but I want something that looks damned sleek.

Are there any modern-style beginner bikes that look sporty, or am I going to have to take it back to the 80's?[/QUOTE]
sv650 faired if you can find one

umm...ninja ex500, they look all right...