General [M]ayhem

General [M]ayhem (http://www.genmay.com/index.php)
-   Bone Closet (http://www.genmay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Dreams and knowing you're in one. (http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=776415)

kerber 02-28-2008 07:27 PM

Dreams and knowing you're in one.

I am a very vivid dreamer. I remember several dreams each week, and not uncommonly in a single night. Sometimes they are mundane, but often they are stressful, scary, or panicky. I'm told I grind my teeth and sometimes thrash around. In particularly intense dreams, I wake up with a headache or exhausted the next day (the alarm jolts of out of mid-dream frequently).

My boyfriend and other people have told me that they know when they are dreaming, and can control it to some extent (sometimes even waking themselves up) because of that. I have tried their advice, but whenever I'm in a dream, I am completely and totally immersed, it's the only life I know, etc. Even glaringly obvious impossibilities seem to make sense while I'm dreaming it. I'm very gullible, so maybe I automatically believe any scenario I think I'm in?

Anyway, does anyone else have trouble realizing they're in a dream? Or does anyone know a way to lighten dreams up? (While interesting, some nights I could do without them) What do you normally dream about?

Tell me your dreams Gen[M]ay!

lonesomeone 02-28-2008 07:41 PM

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream[/url]

What you are talking about are lucid dreams . I've only had two lucid dreams . One was a nightmare where i held my breath so i awoke irl , the other a sexy dream where i woke up before the pay off . Still pissed about the latter . :D

Fisheh 02-28-2008 10:47 PM

The easiest way to spot a dream is to look to some outside influence -- looking at a wrist watch / paper (the numbers will be blurry / nonreadable) or flicking a light switch (nothing will change), etc...

Lucid dreamers create habits like these to help them realize dreams. If you are in the habit of checking your watch (especially digital ones), then this habit can easily (and even unconciously) make you aware of a dream.

The absolute most important thing to controlling your dreams, however, is recording your dreams and realizing their trends. Keep a dream journal by your bed, and when you wake up immediately focus on a singular object, as this will help clear your mind. Personally I'm too lazy / don't get enough sleep to begin with to record the mid-night dreams, but if I have one within an hour of two of when I would normally wake up I will jot them down. You being to see how fucked up you really are. Most of my dreams (not even nightmares) involve a strange, post-apocalyptic wasteland where a bunch of weird shit goes down.

I find dreams to be ridiculously interesting -- if you've got any specific questions I could give them a shot. Or also this would be a cool post to keep tabs of interesting/recent dreams. Hopefully I'll have some good ones for you in the morning ;)

theNoid 02-28-2008 11:02 PM

I used to dream like a motherfucker, now ... not so much. :( I just want to fly every now and then you know? :lol:

acey 02-29-2008 02:06 AM

I used to wake up immediately when I became "aware" that I was dreaming in there. Once in a while I would have a lucid dream but it would never be any sort of "deep sleep". There were only two instances where I realized I was dreaming and could not get out. Both were scary dreams where I couldn't breath at all and felt like suffocating.

Nowadays I would be lucky if I even had a dream, or remember it.

w00t1337 02-29-2008 02:21 AM

When I lucid dream, I become aware, and stay in the dream, and do some really fucked up shit by choice.

It's like playing a video game.

Normally, I wake up when I feel like it back to reality or some outside force snaps me back like an alarm clock.

dirty sanchez 02-29-2008 06:43 AM

this thread has gotten me thinking, and i wonder if i've had lucid dreams before, or if perhaps i've just had dreams, and later when I woke up I thought I had been in control. For example, sometimes i'll have dreams where I 'see' myself being somewhere, and its almost like i know I'm in the dream, and shit is going down, then suddenly i'll control myself and start doing thigns i 'want'. However, my doubt is in whether I have actually been in control and done what I wanted, or if I did what I dreamt, and when I woke up I thought I had been in control, but really wasnt. :lol: dunno if that makes sense

The Internet 02-29-2008 07:34 AM

[QUOTE=theNoid;22351654]I used to dream like a motherfucker, now ... not so much. :( I just want to fly every now and then you know? :lol:[/QUOTE]

I miss my flying dreams. :(

Foolioq 02-29-2008 10:07 AM

A[M] had a big thing about this. Why don't you ask there?

sir tex 02-29-2008 10:13 AM

[QUOTE=theNoid;22351654]I used to dream like a motherfucker, now ... not so much. :( I just want to fly every now and then you know? :lol:[/QUOTE]

same :(

i want my flying back :(

imsoocool2 02-29-2008 12:13 PM

I dream every night. Pretty weird dreams too. It's either me in the past doing things differently, or me in the present in extremely bizare situations :lol:

chin311 02-29-2008 01:47 PM

ive been having SUPER VIVID "LUCID" dreams so often since i quit smoking mary j.

at the start it was every night and when i woke up it felt faker than the dream.

weird stuff.

but now i miss it. they were fun, in a weird twisted way

Axed 02-29-2008 05:36 PM

I found this site awhile ago so i'll share

[url]http://www.dreamviews.com/whatislucid.php[/url]

slappy mcgee 02-29-2008 05:39 PM

I've been waking up at least two times per night over the past week because of such intense dreams :(

xyphoid 02-29-2008 06:38 PM

I usually have one day per week where I remember my dreams and it's usually multiple dreams in one night. They're always stressful and involve conflict, usually with my father who I dont agree with very often. The weirdest dreams I had which I tell all my friends about is one where I was dating a girl (her body was of my ex) but she had 3 vaginas (no lie) shaped like venus flytraps. I figured that the extra vaginas represented my other 2 friends I was interested at the time and uh tthe venus flytraps part came from randomly thinking about it earlier in the week.

The times I remember waking up because of my dream were pretty terrible. I was dreaming I was face to face with a humongous spider and I woke up screaming "spider, spider!" what a lamo.

the other one was after a leg surgery I had, someone turned on the light outside my door and in my dream I perceived that light to be a laser attached to someone's gun and was aiming it at me. I jerked my right leg real bad, the one i had surgery on, and omg it hurt so bad I think I shed a tear. Then i reached for my oxycodon and everything was just dandy.