General [M]ayhem

General [M]ayhem (http://www.genmay.com/index.php)
-   Gaming (http://www.genmay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Revisiting Aion - Private Server (http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=832149)

Mandres 09-30-2010 01:17 PM

Revisiting Aion - Private Server

I played Aion way back through the open beta and release and enjoyed it a lot. It had almost all of the features I like in MMOs, and a super high level of polish. Eventually, I ran into the same wall of grind that most people did in the mid 30s and quit.

Recently, I've been looking for a game and decided to try Aion on one of the popular private servers. I have to say, it's fucking awesome and I'm having a blast. They fixed the leveling curve and the drop rates so it's actually possible for a normal person to level up and enjoy the pvp which was always the biggest draw for me. The server is always busy (a lot more so than the retail server I used to play on) and of course it's completely free.

Who wants to play? The biggest problem I have is that there aren't as many Americans as Europeans and I'd like to start a legion with others who play at the same times I do. Anyone interested?

Wookey 09-30-2010 01:43 PM

I still have the game installed. I enjoyed the game up to certain points when you have to grind hardcore for equipment and levels to go anywhere next.

I'll give it a shot again.

Mandres 09-30-2010 01:49 PM

the website for the server is [url]www.infiniteaion.com[/url] . Since you already have the game installed you'll just need to update it through the NCSoft launcher, and then download the IA launcher to connect to the server. Anyone who doesn't have the game installed can download it for free by using the NCsoft launcher. Instructions are on the IA site. If we can get 5-6 (or more) genmayers into this we could put together a nice team!

GhEttOrAiD 09-30-2010 05:58 PM

yeah my friend spent three weeks grinding his last level... THREE WEEKS.

Then of course went back to WoW.

I had fun with it, it was definitely more exciting than WoW, having that uncertainty where a dude 10 levels ahead of you could just swoop in and destroy you... there was just more tension at all times. I know I yelled a lot more at that game than I do WoW.

I leveled my first WoW toon on a PVP server, and it was not the same, Aion definitely had a different feel to it.

avnos 10-01-2010 08:19 AM

the problem with private servers is that there are so many bugs / non working features compared to real servers. infinite aion drop rate for instances is WORSE than real servers. Yes the white/green drop rate is higher up until lvl 30 but after that it goes back to normal just about. No working abyss on that server, and I havent played there for like 3-4 weeks but they might have their version of 2.0 out now... Which probably didn't address many pvp based issues.

It was fun while I played but was very tedious trying to find a group as a templar cuz all my taunts were broken.

Reverend Sin 10-01-2010 02:02 PM

I'm downloading it now, gonna be a few hours at 1.4mb/s but I'll post character info etc here when I get all set up.

Mandres 10-01-2010 02:15 PM

[QUOTE=avnos;24527617]the problem with private servers is that there are so many bugs / non working features compared to real servers. infinite aion drop rate for instances is WORSE than real servers. Yes the white/green drop rate is higher up until lvl 30 but after that it goes back to normal just about. No working abyss on that server, and I havent played there for like 3-4 weeks but they might have their version of 2.0 out now... Which probably didn't address many pvp based issues.

It was fun while I played but was very tedious trying to find a group as a templar cuz all my taunts were broken.[/QUOTE]

It's not perfect, but it's more than close enough to still be fun.

Abyss is 100% implemented, including fort sieges. On Lumiel (the server I play on) the drop rate is 5x retail for normal mobs and 2x for bosses. 2.0 is partially implemented (most of the quests in the new areas are not, but they're working on it). Are you sure you played on Infinite aion? I've been there for a few months and the Abyss has been working the whole time I've been playing.

There are a few annoying skill bugs still. I'm not sure if taunt is working or not yet (this is a weird one, b/c the Spiritmaster's pet taunt works fine) but most Templars use +enmity gear and can tank without too many problems.

Yes, it's still in "beta" and it's not 100% retail-like yet but it is completely playable and every major feature of the game is in and working properly. There are competitive legions who play hardcore, and thousands of players on each server at any given time. and ... you know ... free.

Even if retail was free too I wouldn't play there because of the brutal leveling curve. On IA it's totally possible to hit the max lvl in 2 weeks if you want to. you're much better off taking your time and working on gathering decent gear though.

hider 10-01-2010 02:53 PM

no Mac client :(

Wookey 10-01-2010 05:28 PM

Made a Priest going for Chanter.

Name: Mosaic
Server: Lumiel(East)

One thing I do like is that when you skill up you don't need to buy books for new spells, they are already in your skill log. That saves a ton of money right there. I'm also noticing a lot more drop as well. I don't know how the crafting is going to work, if it's available or not. I did crash once, but I knew that would be inevitable.

Reverend Sin 10-01-2010 05:40 PM

What's a good class for PVP? I like the idea of Assassin, but seem to recall someone saying they sucked balls in PVP on the Live servers.

Reverend Sin 10-01-2010 06:11 PM

Made a Scout

Name: Defysanity

Wookie I added you, but we can't /w until after level 10.

Mandres 10-01-2010 06:57 PM

Cool, be sure you guys pick Lumiel for your server. Siel has a lower drop/xp rate and no auto-learn skills.

You also don't need to do the bs quests to unlock stigma slots on Lumiel. They're all available right from the start.

-edit: there really isn't any bad class for pvp. They all bring good skills to a group. Clerics are incredibly tough at end-game and always wanted for instances/groups so that might be a good choice for a first char.

Reverend Sin 10-01-2010 07:27 PM

[QUOTE=Mandres;24528388]Cool, be sure you guys pick Lumiel for your server. Siel has a lower drop/xp rate and no auto-learn skills.

You also don't need to do the bs quests to unlock stigma slots on Lumiel. They're all available right from the start.

-edit: there really isn't any bad class for pvp. They all bring good skills to a group. Clerics are incredibly tough at end-game and always wanted for instances/groups so that might be a good choice for a first char.[/QUOTE]

What's your character name?

Wookey 10-01-2010 07:30 PM

[QUOTE=Reverend Sin;24528308]Made a Scout

Name: Defysanity

Wookie I added you, but we can't /w until after level 10.[/QUOTE]

:cool:

I love the random cut scenes when you complete a mission. I finished the quest after you become a Daeva and I got the "You are now a weaponsmith expert, your weapons will be strong and powerful, just like the Aylos people" :lol:

[NiKe] 10-01-2010 07:33 PM

Im in, are you guys asmo or elmo?