General [M]ayhem

General [M]ayhem (http://www.genmay.com/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.genmay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   vegetarians - why? (http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=826294)

SKYY 02-12-2010 05:37 PM

vegetarians - why?

If you're vegetarian, what are your reasons, if you have reasons? How do you respond to people who scoff at your meatless ideals?

I'm vegetarian, and I don't eat dead animal parts because I can't help but think about where the meat comes from. When I look at a hamburger patty, I imagine my own muscle tissues being cut out, ground up, and grilled to perfection. I realize that I'm thinking way too much about what meat is, but that's my reason for not eating it.

I have a hard time convincing people about my reasons for not eating meat. I end up telling them that I just don't like the thought of eating dead animals. Most people find my reasons are quite unsatisfying.

I usually end up embarassed for not eating meat, but I guess that's just life.

Forever Domon 02-12-2010 05:47 PM

How do you explain that we have canine teeth?

tegandje 02-12-2010 06:07 PM

our brain = from eatin the proteinsss

I moved away from eating as much meat though. I mostly eat alot of fruit. I'm just a lean eater now I guess. I don't want to be big anymore. I guess I just like eating healthy and fruits are wonderful. Meats are delicious to me though. I eat anything and everything.

It's nothing to be embarrassed about really. Tell them you want to avoid certain cancers and that's probably a good enough reason. My grandfather died b/c of stomach cancer. I'm sure that there were a few more of the old fuckers in my line that died of cancer, so I'll probably not eat as much meat/fish b/c of that fact alone.

SKYY 02-12-2010 06:07 PM

[QUOTE=domonbaylespam;24182639]How do you explain that we have canine teeth?[/QUOTE]
OK, we humans have canines and are biologically meant to eat meat, but some humans don't eat meat for psychological reasons. I hope I didn't really need to make a point of that.

:ninja: 02-12-2010 10:53 PM

[QUOTE=andje;24182656]our brain = from eatin the proteinsss
[/QUOTE]

TSRH.

The increase in brain capacity and size correlates with the advent of cooking meat. The only reason vegetarians are able to consciencelessly think, "oh eating animals is so bad!" is because the eating of animals enhanced our evolution.

Kind of ironic, if you think about it.

2[H]4U 02-12-2010 11:36 PM

[QUOTE=:ninja:;24183155]TSRH.

The increase in brain capacity and size correlates with the advent of cooking meat. The only reason vegetarians are able to consciencelessly think, "oh eating animals is so bad!" is because the eating of animals enhanced our evolution.

Kind of ironic, if you think about it.[/QUOTE]

Do you have any proof about that first sentence you made? Not saying you're wrong I'm just a little intrigued and I want to read up on it.

Cannondale 02-13-2010 02:17 AM

Hradcore veggie here, going on vegan. here is my contribution.

Yes, humans have evolved to eat meat. We have canine teeth and the necessary enzymes in our digestive system. That doesn't mean we can't survive without meat.

I'm a vegetarian going on vegan purely for ethical reasons. I disagree with how animals are intensely reared and slaughtered and how we humans can go to the shops and buy a pack of mince and we don't have to put any thought into where it came from and the cruelty that is behind it.

A lot of people simply do not know where their meat comes from or even what an abbatoir is. This really sickens me. They do not know about battery farmed chcikens or the cruelty involved with their glass of milk.

Our demand for meat and dairy is so high that simple methods of low intensity farming are impossible so we have to resort to huge, high intensity farms that rear the animal as quickly as possible and get it on our plate. If people could be bothered to do some research and open their minds on the subject a lot more people would convert. Due to human laziness and how people are obsessed with what other people think of them all the time, this won't happen.

I don't rattle on about my diet choice. If I'm in a restaurant I don't declare 'i'm veggie -bare with me a second'. I simply order and 90% of people won't notice I chose the veggie option. If they do notice, I simply say I'm a veggie and again, 90% of people will leave it at that.

You can normally tell the ones who will keep pressuring you to give them an answer as to why you don't eat meat. They're usually blokes of the macho man variety and very close minded. Don't waste your time on them.

Be proud to be veggie.

Forever Domon 02-13-2010 02:23 AM

[QUOTE=Cannondale;24183364]Hradcore veggie here, going on vegan. here is my contribution.

Yes, humans have evolved to eat meat. We have canine teeth and the necessary enzymes in our digestive system. That doesn't mean we can't survive without meat.

I'm a vegetarian going on vegan purely for ethical reasons. I disagree with how animals are intensely reared and slaughtered and how we humans can go to the shops and buy a pack of mince and we don't have to put any thought into where it came from and the cruelty that is behind it.

A lot of people simply do not know where their meat comes from or even what an abbatoir is. This really sickens me. They do not know about battery farmed chcikens or the cruelty involved with their glass of milk.

Our demand for meat and dairy is so high that simple methods of low intensity farming are impossible so we have to resort to huge, high intensity farms that rear the animal as quickly as possible and get it on our plate. If people could be bothered to do some research and open their minds on the subject a lot more people would convert. Due to human laziness and how people are obsessed with what other people think of them all the time, this won't happen.

I don't rattle on about my diet choice. If I'm in a restaurant I don't declare 'i'm veggie -bare with me a second'. I simply order and 90% of people won't notice I chose the veggie option. If they do notice, I simply say I'm a veggie and again, 90% of people will leave it at that.

You can normally tell the ones who will keep pressuring you to give them an answer as to why you don't eat meat. They're usually blokes of the macho man variety and very close minded. Don't waste your time on them.

Be proud to be veggie.[/QUOTE]
That sounds good cannondale. I agree that the way that animals are treated on the "farms" using the word very loosely is horrible, its very a valid reason, and a choice that can be respected.

The reason for that, is because like you said you dont make a big deal of it, or try to condemn other people who do eat meat, or constantly bring it up. Thats what bothers me about some vegans and vegetarians, is the holier than thou attitude.

The same thing can be applied to many things though, religion, politics, etc. I believe in some things that some people think are stupid (God for one), but I dont need to force those beliefs on anyone else, im content just knowing for myself, and letting everyone else make their own choices the same as you.

In short, good explanation and reasoning.

Cannondale 02-13-2010 02:28 AM

Cheers.

Yes, I did forget to mention that there are a lot of us veggies who think they are better than anyone else. But as you say, so do all groups of people. I just keep it to myself and nobody suspects a thing.

SKYY 02-13-2010 07:19 AM

I've never openly told the world I'm vegetarian. In fact, I prefer to keep it to myself, just to avoid those painful confrontations. It's just hard when you go to a company dinner where the choices are A) steak B) chicken and C) pork, and of the two vegetables offered, the green beans were cooked with bacon. So you end up with a $30 dinner that you don't even touch except for the corn, and it makes for an awkward social moment when everyone around you asks you why you aren't eating, and when you tell them you don't eat meats, they start to question you about it. I just wish people didn't give a shit about something as dumb as why I don't eat meats, and I wish I had a simple one line answer that would get them to shut up and move on in a conversation. That's all. :)

_mike_ 02-13-2010 08:31 AM

"i don't eat meat." that one works for me.

i don't care what anyone else eats, or what they think i should eat. i generally don't go places that don't offer a meatless dish.

MooK 02-13-2010 08:57 AM

[QUOTE=_mike_;24183515]"i don't eat meat." that one works for me.

i don't care what anyone else eats, or what they think i should eat. i generally don't go places that don't offer a meatless dish.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Who cares what you eat? Eat whatever the hell you want, your reasons are your own. I'm kind of getting sick of the labels people impose on each other because of what they want to eat. I'm also getting sick of people who try to convince other people to eat the way they do.

As long as you have manners (table manners!)

Personally, I was, in a sense, brought up not to eat meat. When I got older, I chose to continue that route on my own. It doesn't help that the smell of cooking meat (especially pork) makes me uneasy. But those two lines are all I say, and that shuts everyone up. If they are genuinely curious about my diet, I will indulge them. If they're going to be jerks about it, I ignore them or excuse myself.

Despair 02-13-2010 09:12 AM

I love meat. I canít imagine not ever eating it again. It is just way too delicious to give it up.

I do understand why people choose not to eat meat for their health, but not because it has a face, or feelings, or it is cruel in the way they are handled.

It is a cowÖnot Bessie. It is a chicken, not Foghorn Leghorn. It is a pig, not Porky Pig. The animals are here because we are supposed to consume them.

I donít admonish people who choose not to eat meat, but because you feel bad for the animal doesnít makes sense to me. This is just my opinion only. Eat whatever you want and donít bother with what people think. I am sure that veggies can look at me in disgust because I am smearing bacon grease on my biscuit as I devour another slice of ham and they wonder how can I eat that stuff. Doesnít bother me in the least. I will continue to eat whatever I like.

illig 02-13-2010 09:24 AM

why do you need to defend yourself? tell the small minded people questioning you to STFU

due to my GFs chosen profession (dog training), we sometimes hang out with animal nuts... when they scoff at me for eating my pork sausage or wearing a leather jacket, i tell them to STFU, and continue consuming and wearing delicious animal byproducts.

Cannondale 02-13-2010 10:05 AM

[QUOTE=Despair;24183577]The animals are here because we are supposed to consume them.[/QUOTE]

You're a Christian aren't you?