View Single Post
someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagent View Post
Interesting. I never gave greyhounds a thought, thought they were a rare kind of dog. But reading about them, they sound just up my alley. Seems like they're meant to be generally indoor dogs that only need short bouts of intense exercise. In fact, their mode of exercise and activity seems exactly the same as me... lol. Powerlifting, sprints, conditioning workouts.

http://www.goldengreyhounds.com/adopt/index.htm

"Greyhounds live up to their nickname as “the world’s fastest/greatest couch-potato”. They spend their day sleeping and enjoy curling up on their bed or lying beside you much of the day. They actually require less exercise than most dogs. With little body fat, and a poor tolerance for outdoor temperature extremes, each hound is placed with the understanding that they will be cared for as an indoor-only companions. "

and from wikipedia:

"Contrary to popular belief, adult Greyhounds do not need extended periods of daily exercise, as they are bred for sprinting rather than endurance."

"Occasionally, a greyhound may bark, however greyhounds are generally not barkers"

And from http://animal.discovery.com/breed-se...greyhound.html

"The greyhound needs daily exercise, but it is a sprinter, not an endurance runner. Its needs can thus be met with a chance to run, or by a longer walk on leash. It loves to run and chase outdoors, and can easily run into danger at great speed unless exercised in a safe area. It is not generally amenable to living outdoors. Greyhounds relish creature comforts and must have soft bedding and warmth. The coat is extremely easy to care for, needing only occasional brushing to remove dead hair."

I think I'm going to keep an eye out for greyhounds!

Thats all truth. My retired racer NEVER barked, except when one of the cats poked their nose into his food dish when he was eating. And it was just one bark, the cat backed off, and that was it.

They really are tremendous pets. There should be a shelter for retired racers near SF, we've got a couple around Boston. And ignore the "get a dog walker" BS. You may, depending on age, need one, but i doubt it. Just see how the dog acclimates to the home, and if he gets destructive, get a walker for mid day, but 3 days a week? I don't see it being an issue. The dog would probably be more upset someone interrupted his nap. We used to leave the radio on for our greyhound when we first got him, he had a little separation anxiety. but once he learned our routines he didn't need it.

And its important enough to repeat: only let them off the leash in COMPLETELY FENCED IN AREAS. They have a terrible sense of direction, and they are sight hounds, he very well may see a squirrel/rabbit/small animal and fucking GO. They won't do it on the leash, as they've been trained far too well. Most of them havent the slightest idea what to do with them once they get it, but they love that fucking chase. Jet never gave a shit about cats, but when we let him off the leash in the backyard and one of the neighbors chickens had gotten back there, ZOOM, he was off after it. (yes, chickens, and i live in a lovely suburban area, my neighbor was just weird. or liked eggs and fresh chicken. one of the two)

And contrary to popular belief, most racing dogs arent abused. the owners treated them like royalty, so they'd win. And they arent generally hostile dogs. The muzzles they wear when they race are for AFTER the race, when they're still hopped up with adrenline, they may nip at each other, and since they all have really thin skin, a little nip could leave a big cut and take em out of some races. And racing itself isnt abuse, cause, as you'll see, greyhounds fucking LOVE to run.

If you get one, ENJOY! they are awesome pets. I'm actually looking to get another racer as soon as I fence in my back yard. I havent had one for a few years after Jet died, but in a heartbeat, i'd get another one.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Shooting:
Nikon D300, Rolleiflex 2.8F, Nikon F100, Olympus OM-1, Pentax 645