View Single Post
onewheeldoin200
Your girlfriend likes my crotch rocket better

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonhuman
Montreal (or perhaps maybe Boston, depends on what college I go to)

To be honest, even though I live right near Boston, I haven't really looked at city streets during winter much. I thought that they don't hold snow or ice for long due to the traffic, though.

edit: Also heard that carbed bikes are a PITA to start in the cold. True?
Montreal often sees what...-20 or -30C in the winter? I don't think I'd advise riding a street bike in cold like that. And yes, carbs can be pretty hit and miss in cold weather. If you can get them started you also have to wait for them to get good and warm (at least 5 mins idling depending on how cold it is), or else they can stutter and lose power, which can be less than safe at a busy intersection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignited
I'm a pretty small guy. I'm a good height (5'10"), but I'm barely pushing 140 lbs. Anyways, I'm on the market for a bike and I've had my eye on the Suzuki SV650S. I am absolutely enamored with this bike, but after doing some research, I'm worried that I'll have a difficult time handling it. Basically, I'm worried that it will be too heavy for me.

Can somebody weigh in on this and give their opinion? I don't mean to sound stubborn, but I REALLY have my heart set on this bike and I really want to get it, but if I simply won't be able to handle it then I need to know.
How about this as a compromise: buy a mid 80's standard bike as a beater for your first summer, then next year go back and get that SV. Standards have lower seat heights, and a bike from the 80's is probably a little under the weather anyways, so if you DO drop it it won't be a big deal.

You will cry if/when you drop that beautiful new SV, and it's easy to do for a beginner on a bike where only your toes touch the ground

Anyways, the SV is about as light a bike as you can get that's over 500cc. If it starts to tip you should be able to catch it if you're on the ball....but I still recommend learning on a bike with a low seat, so that you can have both feet firmly planted for leverage, and lighter weight ( a 250 would be ideal for your first few times on a bike...take an MSF course! They'll usually provide 250's for you to use.) If you were to take an MSF course and get at least a little bit of riding time I'd be less inclined to steer you away from the SV, but for an absolute beginner there's no question that it's a lot of bike to handle (more in terms of power than weight, really).

Passion > Precision

Last edited by onewheeldoin200; 04-20-2005 at 10:08 AM..