View Single Post
kindred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano
Nothing.

Ever.

Including japan.

I love how people criticize the use of nuclear weapons in Japan and have absolutely no clue about the existing political and global ramifications at the time as well as the impact and results which carry on to this day. So you want to play the whatif game? What if the bombs had never been dropped?

Here are the very real Possibilities:

Japan and US war carries on to the bitter end, as Japanese stubborness and pride refuses to back down and refuses to accept the American invasion force on its homeland. An extra couple million deaths.

Japan is subdued but not defeated. Japan harbors bitter resentment, rebuilds and has its revenge similar to Germany after WWI. Several hundred million deaths.

Japan never denounces violence, and to this day remains an imperialistic nation that either has or plans to expand its territory and influence. A larger aggressive japanese empire.

Russia doesnt believe the US is serious about nuclear retaliation or is desicive enough to follow through on threats. They are more aggressive in expanding their influence and testing our limits. MAD may not be an effective deterrent as they decide the factors are in their favor to strike first. Global annihilation.

The current stigma over Nuclear weapons is not there. Having never viewed the consequences and horrors involved, the world still views the use of nukes as a viable strategic option. Bans on nuclear proliferation are not as strongly enforced. The likelihood of their use are greatly increased. Global annihiliation or a few countries obliterated.
Lord, Grant me the patience to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.