View Single Post
kindred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano
Actually, its through reading that i have discovered that the generally accepted "choices" were not the limits, and that the bombs ( at least 1 of them, and at most both of them ) were not necessary.

You dont know if it was necessary or not. The bombs were used, Japan rejected all violence and became a peaceful country. Communism fell apart. Why do you reject the necessity of something that happened when it obviously led to the current status quo? Realistically speaking, how could the status quo have evolved any better than it actually has?

Quote:
Japan surrenders regardless. In this scenario ( based on the timing of the bombings ) the Soviet union would have entered the pacific theater, entitling them to spoils of war. The ramifications of this are a stronger communist presence in southeast asia. That is the reason the bombs were dropped, not because we needed japan to surrender, but that we needed them to surrender FAST, and it acted as a catalyst for the cold war arms race.

Japan may or may not have surrendered. Theres a saying from Sun Tzu's art of war "Death is lighter than a feather, duty, heavier than a mountain." I believe every last man, woman, and child would have fought to the death rather than surrender and face humiliation and defeat. Indeed I've watched documentaries of Japanese taking the lives of family members rather than fall into the hands of Americans. If they had not been utterly and completely broken in both spirit and physically, Japan would not have evolved as it did today.

Quote:
Had the bomb never been dropped, its quite possible the arms race never would have happened.

If you believe that the face off between the US and the Soviet Union would never have happened, you are quite deluded in your understanding of Stalin and events at that time. That paranoid fuck trusted nobody, and only his fear of us, kept him in check. Diplomacy doesnt work with people like Stalin, only fear and the threat of violence.
Lord, Grant me the patience to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.