View Single Post
Arjuna

Fucking solid man - I've been waiting for someone to throw up a "contraception FAQ" of sorts. Job well done.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade but I have some additional info/discrepancies (I work with all this stuff on a daily basis), so in the interest of getting all the information out there, here we go:

Norplant: Norplant has been discontinued in many countries due claims that its effectiveness rapidly decreases in the later years of its "effective period" - so women are expecting it to last 6-7 years but it actually staying effective for only 4-5. Doesn't happen in all women, but enough. There can also be scarring issues when removing the implants.

Pill: some studies have found that "typical use" ARP is closer to 9-10%. FDA still publishes the 5% number on both the progestin-only and combo pills. The better you are at taking it (same time, every day, no missing days) the better. Perfect use puts it at about 0.1-0.5%, depending on the pill.

A note while we're here: Ortho Evra (the patch) and the Nuva Ring (the ring) went on the market two years ago. Both work the exact same as combo birth contol pills, with the advantage of not having to remember to take one every day. Thus, the perfect use ARP is no different than BC pills, but its typical use ARP should be lower than BC pill typical use because there is less to screw up. Anyway, if you are on the patch, you wear one every week for three weeks and then take a week off. Ring: one ring lasts for all three weeks then you take it out for a week and put a new one in (insertion into the vagina...it sits by the cervix and just hangs out).

Male condoms: I've never seen any literature stating that spermidical condoms and nonspermicidal condoms have any difference in effectiveness. In fact, there is new stuff coming out about nonoxynol-9 irritating vaginal/anal lining, making blood-blood contact more likely and thus STD transmission more probable, should the condom break. There isn't much spermicide on the condom (and spermicide is not very effective even in high amounts - 26% ARP on its own), so if there is a failure it isn't going to make a dent in the swimmer count. Good lubrication to prevent breakage in the first place will go much further than using a spermicidal condom. Failure rates for both run about 14%, typical use.

Also, there are male condom options for those allergic to latex: polyurethane condoms are sold just about everywhere, but they are associated with a slightly higher breakage rate. They are believed to stop as much STD transmission as latex condoms when they do work properly. There are also lambskin condoms, which have pores too large to block viruses (i.e. HIV), so they are solely contraceptive barriers. Not sure on their breakage/failure rates.

Female condom: a note on loss of spontaneity - female condoms (and cervical caps) can be put into place up to 12 hours before sex and are effective. So you can conceivably put it in before going out for the night. Not being a female, I have no idea if there are comfort issues involved. Cervical caps are also often reusable.

Morning after pill: Most effective within 72 hours, like you said (86% effective at the 72nd hour in preventing pregnancy, around 95% when taken immediately). It is now prescribed for up to 120 hours (5 days), effectiveness probably around 70-75% and dropping rapidly by that fifth day.

IUDs can also be inserted in a morning-after situation (effective up to 7 days for preventing pregnancy following unprotected sex) and are 99.9% effective in this task.

Planned Parenthood is real good about getting people access to emergency contraception.

Anyways, good stuff man, I like the thread. Sticky if possible.

Last edited by Arjuna; 10-15-2004 at 12:18 PM..