View Single Post
korsairr

innotek VirtualBox

innotek VirtualBox
http://www.virtualbox.org/

I've been using the free open source version on my windows host for several months now. i have yet to experience any bugs or crashes running windows xp and several distro's of gnu/linux as virtual machines. i mainly use it for programing and testing software before i install it on my my non virtual machines. the best part is its is much lighter and more responsive that vmware which i've been using for years.

it does everything i want such as usb pass through, snapshots and saved states, cd/dvd drive and image mounting, very light networking options and it changes the screen resolution of the guest os based on the resolution of the virtualbox window. lol i feel like a commercial but i love this program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VirtualBox
VirtualBox by innotek is a commercial and proprietary (with a limited GPL version) x86 virtualizer for Linux, Mac OS X (beta version for 10.4 Tiger), OS/2 Warp (experimental OSE builds)[1], and Windows 32-bit and 64-bit hosts supporting FreeBSD, Linux, OpenBSD, OS/2 Warp and Windows as guest operating systems.[2] After several years of development, VirtualBox OSE (Open source edition), a limited, open-source version, was released under the GNU General Public License (GPL) in January 2007.

Compared with the other established commercial virtualization software such as VMware Workstation and Microsoft Virtual PC, VirtualBox lacks some features, but in turn provides others. Such unique features are running virtual machines remotely over the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP), iSCSI support and USB support with remote devices over RDP.

VirtualBox supports Intel's hardware virtualization VT-x and has experimental support for AMD's AMD-V, but doesn't use either of them by default.[3]

According to a 2007 survey by DesktopLinux.com, VirtualBox is the third most popular software package for running Windows programs on Linux desktops.[4]