View Single Post
RuHo
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say that the average citizen of the USSR during the 80's (or 60's-70's as well) had quite a different life than the average American (which means many millions) during the same periods. Does that mean that one was worse than the other? That part is subjective I guess....but I also know which one citizens of both countries would choose if given the choice. I'm also gonna go out on a limb and guess that those longing for the good old days of the USSR, are mostly older people who got left behind when the switch to capitalism was made and haven't adjusted since. In other words, what they're really longing for is a sense of order when the government was the only bully in town instead of several large criminal organizations who seem to run things today. Also they probably felt more "equal" back then because most people they knew were in exactly the same boat they were, (queing up for bread and cheese before it ran out) and you didn't have new millionaires driving through town in their diamond encrusted Lambos while thumbing their noses at all the suckers who didn't exploit the "new Russia".
I think you have a pretty warped picture on how things:
-were
-are

That's not really defending their bull shit now, or then, but that's how it is. About 20 per cent of russians live below the poverty line (which is a whopping 31 bucks a month for them), while those that really like capitalism, are busy sending their shit overeas... and you still cannot even for one second, fathom that someone other than an 85-year old stalinist might think he is worse off now than he was 20 years ago.

(these are of course rough estimates ...you can never trust a slav )