View Single Post
Doombabies
I desire a punk rock My Little Pony GODDAMMIT!!!

I'm not sure if this has been brought up in this thread yet, but I remember hearing/reading some theories on why pot remains illegal. It was largely illegalized because it threatened the cotton and tobacco industries (which were the largest national industries at the time) because pot was a non-addictive smoking substance that was more stable and easier to grow than tobacco, and the cotton industry because hemp is easier and cheaper to manufacture than cotton, and does not require the intense and environmentally harmful chemical bleaching processes (same with paper).

Now that we know the effects of the chemical bleaching processes necessary in cotton and tree-pulp paper on the environment, would it not be an environmentally sound argument to legalize the growth of marijuana for (at least, it's a start) hemp purposes?

I owe Dyno and TheMorlock a batch of cookies

Last edited by Doombabies; 07-28-2005 at 09:49 AM..