Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukkakeboy View Post
New Speak

read the book, I am pretty sure its News Speak

I could be wrong. I only read it 3 times and it just takes a minor cognitive dissonance to read it wrong after the first misread.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Bukkakeboy

*checking*

also, Since you prolly got search, could you be so kind as to help me find the "omg glen beck speaker of truth" thread we had way back when?
I just seem to remember mobius or someone making a thread (before the show had aired ofc) about how awesome that program was gonna be. And I wanted to reminisce back to those good old days of naivetÍ.

couldnt find book btw, must've lent it out to someone (which is a mixed blessing. I love lending ppl good books, but I always never get them back :\ )

this is the internet... and someone is WRONG on it

-Tongboy

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

I remember a glen beck thread, cant recall who started it. cant see moby starting it except to make fun of him.

Glen Beck is the Joe Pitts of the "real world"

Bukkakeboy

Hm yeah, I might be wrong, I just have a memory of thinking "wow, he switched fast!" or something (so it wasn't your typical right winger who made it)

this is the internet... and someone is WRONG on it

-Tongboy

2[H]4U

History is not fact, it is merely the author's point of view.

Frenetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
This I somewhat disagree with. Most of the changes I have seen in what is taught compared to 40 years ago is purely ideological re imaging. Straight Orwellian News Speak.

Okay, I see where you're coming from with this, but now you're bringing in other outside factors messing with history. My earlier point was that historians have standards of what counts as credible history, just like lawyers with evidence, or chemists with new findings. When you start bringing in things like touchy school boards or jingoistic governments, then yeah, it can get corrupted, like anything else. This is a rough example, but look at how evolution can be discussed between a stupid atheist and a stupid Christian. Both of them has an agenda on how evolution is to be viewed, but both could be willing to twist facts on a subject they only have an undeveloped understanding about. The evolutionist himself could see both their views as wrong, as his own evidence doesn't support either side.

I know it's different with every school district, but my own mom hasn't had that much trouble teaching history the way she was trained to do so. At most, she's noticed that certain things get glossed over in the school books, like the holocaust, the rape of nanking, or how much violence was actually involved in civil rights (it wasn't all just MLK speeches and marches). It's not so much an ideological point as it is that most schools don't want calls from parents complaining about teachers exposing students to violent imagery or some such garbage. That's really underestimating teens in my opinion, but that's the kind of mentality that's been bred into the school system.

Edit: Also, it's called "newspeak."

Last edited by Frenetic; 03-23-2010 at 10:32 AM..

elysian

hi, you spelt existence wrong.

lolol

3b27e5e4cbb6ec753a14c8e4985f18d5