General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
great logic. clearly it was MS and Loonix advancing smart phones to such a wonderful level oh wait.... Apple comes out with its first phone and destroys that retarded market.

The majority of stuff Apple released under Jobs has been pretty revolutionary to computing as a whole. You can't deny that if you have even scratched the surface of computer history for the last 33 years

The majority of stuff released under Jobs was marketing schlock

"Early years

The first smartphone was called Simon; it was designed by IBM in 1992 and shown as a concept product[7] that year at COMDEX, the computer industry trade show held in Las Vegas, Nevada. It was released to the public in 1993 and sold by BellSouth. Besides being a mobile phone, it also contained a calendar, address book, world clock, calculator, note pad, e-mail, send and receive fax, and games. It had no physical buttons to dial with. Instead customers used a touch-screen to select phone numbers with a finger or create facsimiles and memos with an optional stylus. Text was entered with a unique on-screen "predictive" keyboard. By today's standards, the Simon would be a fairly low-end product; however, its feature set at the time was incredibly advanced."

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

gee
MY TITLE ISNT LONG ENOUGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
The majority of stuff released under Jobs was marketing schlock

"Early years

The first smartphone was called Simon; it was designed by IBM in 1992 and shown as a concept product[7] that year at COMDEX, the computer industry trade show held in Las Vegas, Nevada. It was released to the public in 1993 and sold by BellSouth. Besides being a mobile phone, it also contained a calendar, address book, world clock, calculator, note pad, e-mail, send and receive fax, and games. It had no physical buttons to dial with. Instead customers used a touch-screen to select phone numbers with a finger or create facsimiles and memos with an optional stylus. Text was entered with a unique on-screen "predictive" keyboard. By today's standards, the Simon would be a fairly low-end product; however, its feature set at the time was incredibly advanced."
IBM basically invented everything I'd say IBM patented the fuck out of the Simon and Apple is paying them a good bit of coin right now in license fees.

Research is only one half of creating a modern product. Having a concept is one thing. Turning that concept into a product with a good user interface and software runtime, wireless backend capable of moving enough data, etc. took years of work - if Apple released the iPhone as we know it 10 years ago it would be a flop. And it's been tried many times already, with Palm's smartphone, etc.

Everyone builds off each other, it's the way the world works, and laughing at apple because someone had a smartphone before them is just ignorant.

DigitalChaos

HAY GUYS
I heard XEROX invented the GUI. Macintosh was just a copy of it and Microsoft was a copy of Macintosh. All hail XEROX!

hurp de durp

TheMorlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
IBM basically invented everything I'd say IBM patented the fuck out of the Simon and Apple is paying them a good bit of coin right now in license fees.

Research is only one half of creating a modern product. Having a concept is one thing. Turning that concept into a product with a good user interface and software runtime, wireless backend capable of moving enough data, etc. took years of work - if Apple released the iPhone as we know it 10 years ago it would be a flop. And it's been tried many times already, with Palm's smartphone, etc.

Everyone builds off each other, it's the way the world works, and laughing at apple because someone had a smartphone before them is just ignorant.

No, claiming that Apple was Visionary and creative beyond all gods and not just good at marketing is ignorant.

Getting somone to pay 10 bucks for an everyday piece of rock is the same kind of creativity that Jobs has. Creativity in marketing.

Jobs needs to get off the all apple diet and start bathing again.

DigitalChaos

MS was the king of marketing you dipshit.
copy a product, cut some corners to make it cheap, invest in shitloads of marketing... boom

maybe you forgot the phrase "IBM Compatible"

TheMorlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
MS was the king of marketing you dipshit.
copy a product, cut some corners to make it cheap, invest in shitloads of marketing... boom

maybe you forgot the phrase "IBM Compatible"

What the fuck are you talking about? The original IBM PC's came with MSDOS..

MS didn't copy anything. They stole it and leased it to IBM.

möbiustrip

I'll take this opportunity to remark that The Pirates of Silicon Valley is forty thousand kinds of hilarious.

DigitalChaos

pirates of silicon valley is fucking awesome

TheMorlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by möbiustrip View Post
I'll take this opportunity to remark that The Pirates of Silicon Valley is forty thousand kinds of hilarious.

Havent seen it.

gee
MY TITLE ISNT LONG ENOUGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
No, claiming that Apple was Visionary and creative beyond all gods and not just good at marketing is ignorant.
Apple isn't all that visionary. If anything, they're practical - their strength is at taking someone else's concept, making it shiny/fashionable *but* also making it work well and easy to use.

The iPod was ridiculously late to the party compared to the Diamond player, Creative players, etc... yet it completely dominates the market now. Why? Marketing is part of it, but the thing also has a great user interface on the player, plus iTunes which makes ripping CDs and buying music ridiculously easy and painless. Everything just plain works, even for people who are less computer inclined than the rest of us.

I'm running a rockboxed Sansa and use dbpoweramp for everything. It's great, but it's not for everyone - when I hear my young niece is looking for a MP3 player, I always say iPod for that very reason.

Bukkakeboy

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

this is the internet... and someone is WRONG on it

-Tongboy

eem
pwned

apple could be so much more than it was if steve jobs just stopped being greedy, controlling and elitist

chronage

I love Windows 7 x64 and just picked up a C2D Mac Mini with OSX 10.6. Gotta say, after a few hrs of playing with the Mac, it could never take the place of a PC in my world. Minus a few cool Mac-only applications, I just dont see the point.

One cool thing, though, is that software is easier to pirate on Macs