General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
wwilliam54
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh scud View Post
I'm sure 5-10 people with guns could have killed more than 13 people in a crowded subway

If they were the same dumbfucks.....
they would end up shooting themselves on accident before they got to the subway
__________________
2004 Grand Marquis- Just a big bucket o' steel.
1997 Geo- Three Cylinders of Fury, 5 Gears of slow (R.I.P)
Old 01-19-2011, 08:18 AM wwilliam54 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#61  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

tanner9072
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Of course it makes it easier. You don't have to stop and reload or change magazines as soon if you're shooting at the same rate. This guy got stopped when he had to stop shooting and change magazines, if he had had to do that after ten bullets instead of 30, you're seriously trying to say that fewer people wouldn't have been killed?

if he had actually known how to use a gun in the first place, then it wouldnt have mattered if he used extended magazines or not because he would have been able to reload in less than a few seconds (i guess this plays into your 'serious criminal' argument but oh well). That's why earlier i employed my sarcasm about the banning of shooting ranges, because they give the opportunity for people to improve their abilities at handling a gun.


Quote:
I don't believe banning any of this stuff would actually discourage shootings, it would just help mitigate the casualties to some degree. And again, why does anyone who isn't trying to kill a bunch of people actually need these things? No one seems to have any kind of answer to that. What is the benefit to outweigh the obvious danger?
i guess the real problem gets down to how different states define an extended magazine. some say it is anything more than 10 bullets, some say anything more than 15. it's all up to the state.

one legitimate reason for an extended magazine would be that the grips on some pistols are smaller than a person's hand. my brother has a springfield xd 9mm with an extended mag solely for the purpose of being able to grip his pistol. even though the magazine is 'extended' (by about 3 or 4 extra rounds i think), you can't even see it protruding from the bottom of his palm.

also, a standard glock (the type of pistol that loughner used) magazine holds 17 rounds. so in some states that would be considered 'extended' even though it doesnt protrude from the bottom of the palm/grip.

so this poses a new question: should the definition of an 'extended' magazine be redefined by legal standards? instead of the capacity of bullets, should it be determined whether or not the magazine protrudes beyond the palm/grip of the shooter?
Old 01-19-2011, 08:32 AM tanner9072 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#62  

CommiePunk
my rectum bleeds everyday
 
CommiePunk's Avatar
 
nothing should change, this isn't some crazy epidemic. this is a rare occurance, and no legislation is going to change it from happening again.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:24 PM CommiePunk is offline  
Reply With Quote
#63  

Rancidpunk666
 
Rancidpunk666's Avatar
 
lol jcviggen is a bitch.
__________________
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Senator Date Rape
.......v
Grandpa Motors (GM) pussrods and leafsprings
Old 04-26-2011, 05:47 AM Rancidpunk666 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#64  

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
He's for the most part, absolutely right though. Sorry you can't deal with that. If you want to play with guns and want to be within law to do so, that's just fine.

However all in all, I do want to wish you good luck in your attempt at overthrowing your tyranny of a government with your right to bear arms. You probably won't even see that government top dollar paid apache helicopter when it's already turned you into a confetti of flesh, but I'm sure the founding fathers will appreciate your efforts.
__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 04-26-2011, 07:32 AM Straw Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
#65  

?psalus
Apsalus
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh scud View Post
This statement is only true if you allow people to own guns. America is probably too far down the hole to turn around now, but we have countries like Japan that are much safer because people just don't have guns.
Comparing American society to Japanese society is probably the worst comparison you can make regarding gun ownership. Japanese culture is completely different from American culture. Cooperation is key here. Nobody steps on anyone else's toes and if there is some sort of accident, the offending party might even kill themselves if they feel that they cannot compensate the victim. Violent crime is reserved to a minuscule percentage of the population that isn't quite right in the head to begin with and guns or not, they are going to cause damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh scud View Post
I think we need to move toward having less guns around. We obviously can't take away everybody's guns, but the idea that everybody should arm themselves is just stupid.
How would you decide who gets their guns taken away? And good luck reducing the number or guns in illegal circulation. Taking guns away from law-abiding citizens in America will not do anything to help them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh scud View Post
Being required to carry a weapon is not my idea of feeling safe in a modern society.
The more people there are, the more potential for bad apples. There is nothing you can do about it. It doesn't matter what tools crazies use, as I mentioned above. If it isn't guns, it's knives. If it isn't knives, it's claw hammers. If it isn't claw hammers... see where I'm going with this?

-e- Fucking merged boards. I knew this smelled like a pit thread.

Last edited by Apsalus; 04-26-2011 at 07:58 AM..
Old 04-26-2011, 07:51 AM ?psalus is offline  
Reply With Quote
#66  

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?
 
joemama's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post
He's for the most part, absolutely right though. Sorry you can't deal with that. If you want to play with guns and want to be within law to do so, that's just fine.

However all in all, I do want to wish you good luck in your attempt at overthrowing your tyranny of a government with your right to bear arms. You probably won't even see that government top dollar paid apache helicopter when it's already turned you into a confetti of flesh, but I'm sure the founding fathers will appreciate your efforts.
Euopeans have a distorted view of America...some kind of wild west where everyone has a six shooter strapped to their hip and justice is served right on the streets. I live in the real west (in a state where many people own guns, and concealed carry is legal), and also in a metro area of 6+ million people...I'm over 30 and have never personally seen a gun fired outside of a firing range or hunting trip (or tv show/movie). I imagine that's pretty much the same as most Europeans.
__________________
Rapid-fire double bass of the GenMay dru[M]mers collective

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v
Old 04-26-2011, 12:10 PM joemama is offline  
Reply With Quote
#67  

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
Euopeans have a distorted view of America...some kind of wild west where everyone has a six shooter strapped to their hip and justice is served right on the streets. I live in the real west (in a state where many people own guns, and concealed carry is legal), and also in a metro area of 6+ million people...I'm over 30 and have never personally seen a gun fired outside of a firing range or hunting trip (or tv show/movie). I imagine that's pretty much the same as most Europeans.
Well, as I understand this place is one of the most gun-ridden countries in Europe. I'm not sure I mind the thought of people owning guns, but rather the motives and the arguments that seem really really faulty at times.

I mean c'mon, it's a pretty absurd a notion that guns serve the people to keep tyranny away. Might have worked 250 years ago, but Ben Franklin and the guys never did see a M1 Abrams.
__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 04-26-2011, 12:25 PM Straw Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
#68  

Jas101
 
Jas101's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
Euopeans have a distorted view of America...some kind of wild west where everyone has a six shooter strapped to their hip and justice is served right on the streets. I live in the real west (in a state where many people own guns, and concealed carry is legal), and also in a metro area of 6+ million people...I'm over 30 and have never personally seen a gun fired outside of a firing range or hunting trip (or tv show/movie). I imagine that's pretty much the same as most Europeans.

sadly, this is true.

other than tv, film and the odd chat with a yank tourist I am dependant on the web (forums) for interaction with my colonial cousins. huge over-powered cars, abnormally white teeth, enourmous houses and a hypersensitivity towards guns is a very concentrated list of the lasting impressions.

all well and good, for those who enjoy it - more power to them.

the last time i fired a real gun was during (obligatory) military service. I personally dont feel the need to own one. im a gun-shy hippy motherfucker with little or no interest in hunting, overthrowing my government or getting involveld in a shoot-out to save others.

i do however, believe that owning a weapon, be it a gun, rifle, sword, ninja star, crossbow or trebuchet should be a privilege and not a right.

no hate, just chat.
__________________
gsharaf - maybe you just aren't ghey enough, so take one up da butt (for the team)
Jeff - Anyone got any midget porn? Its for a friend.
c449140ffaaa3f7c2e4d93e0ba37705e [pornmay.com]
Old 04-26-2011, 12:43 PM Jas101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#69  

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?
 
joemama's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas101 View Post
sadly, this is true.

other than tv, film and the odd chat with a yank tourist I am dependant on the web (forums) for interaction with my colonial cousins. huge over-powered cars, abnormally white teeth, enourmous houses and a hypersensitivity towards guns is a very concentrated list of the lasting impressions.

all well and good, for those who enjoy it - more power to them.

the last time i fired a real gun was during (obligatory) military service. I personally dont feel the need to own one. im a gun-shy hippy motherfucker with little or no interest in hunting, overthrowing my government or getting involveld in a shoot-out to save others.

i do however, believe that owning a weapon, be it a gun, rifle, sword, ninja star, crossbow or trebuchet should be a privilege and not a right.

no hate, just chat.
Even the real wild west 150 years ago wasn't nearly as wild as the books and movies would have you believe. All stereotypes have some basis is reality...and all of those things you mentioned can be found here, but it all depends on what part of the country you visit. I grew up in a 3000k+ sqft ranch style house on 4 acres...but that isn't out of the ordinary (or particulary large) in Texas. The further you go northeast the smaller and closer together the houses get.....it's all a matter of population density vs space available. Same goes for bleached teeth, enormous overpowered cars and rabid gun owners...it all depends on where you are, and even certain sections of the same state don't follow the stereotypes exactly. I own guns because I can...but have no intentions of going on a killing spree anytime soon. To me it's the same as having the right to vote and not using it....others see it differently.
__________________
Rapid-fire double bass of the GenMay dru[M]mers collective

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v
Old 04-26-2011, 01:19 PM joemama is offline  
Reply With Quote
#70  

Jas101
 
Jas101's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
Even the real wild west 150 years ago wasn't nearly as wild as the books and movies would have you believe. All stereotypes have some basis is reality...and all of those things you mentioned can be found here, but it all depends on what part of the country you visit. I grew up in a 3000k+ sqft ranch style house on 4 acres...but that isn't out of the ordinary (or particulary large) in Texas. The further you go northeast the smaller and closer together the houses get.....it's all a matter of population density vs space available. Same goes for bleached teeth, enormous overpowered cars and rabid gun owners...it all depends on where you are, and even certain sections of the same state don't follow the stereotypes exactly. I own guns because I can...but have no intentions of going on a killing spree anytime soon. To me it's the same as having the right to vote and not using it....others see it differently.

my pacifistic beliefs prevent from condoning gun ownership (and by guns i mean pistols, assault rifles, basicaaly anything other than a bolt hunting rifle). however, i respect peoples right to hunt - as long as you eat the fucker and not just stick its head on the wall.

but as has been mentioned before in this thread - its waaaaaay to late fo rthe US to even consider removing this 'right' that americans have. let it be said - im far from having an expert opinion on this subject, but i can imagine the social and economic results of such a change (for want of a better word) being nothing short of a disaster.

as for an objective opinion to the ' I own guns because I can...but have no intentions of going on a killing spree anytime soon' crowd - thers always going to be someone fucking it up and spoiling the fun for the rest of you.


bummer....
__________________
gsharaf - maybe you just aren't ghey enough, so take one up da butt (for the team)
Jeff - Anyone got any midget porn? Its for a friend.
c449140ffaaa3f7c2e4d93e0ba37705e [pornmay.com]
Old 04-26-2011, 01:29 PM Jas101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#71  

topcat989
 
topcat989's Avatar
 
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.


+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.



Here's how gun free zones work:


+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:28 PM topcat989 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#72  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:12 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.