General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

:ninja:
My cooter sweats, and reeks like rotting sea vermon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephekt View Post
Militant, outspoken loonix neckbeard. How novel.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Syk0tiK
Mongoloidal cunt of Lindsay Lohan proportions who can't fathom the rules. <3 Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by :ninja: View Post
The OS is responsible for permissions. So yes, it is a Windows problem.

The OS is responsible for enforcing file permissions. The user is responsible for setting file permissions.

Quit fucking with shit you have no clue what your fucking with and complaining when it things don't work out right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syk0tiK View Post
The OS is responsible for enforcing file permissions. The user is responsible for setting file permissions.

Quit fucking with shit you have no clue what your fucking with and complaining when it things don't work out right.

Windows gives me write permissions to the files since I can copy them and overwrite them, but apparently not read permissions because I can't view them or open them. So that's pretty cool. Also, I can read and execute all the files directly from my external, so clearly Windows is honouring those permissions. The perms get fucked up when they're copied from one filesystem to another.

MooK

Quote:
Honestly, this is about as reasonable as saying it's the distro's fault you chmod 777 a public directory and got hacked.

Who knows why or to what extent your perms were shitted up on the external.

Militant, outspoken loonix neckbeard. How novel.

But sometimes it doesn't really make much sense. Like the coveted Administrator account being unable to see files that were downloaded to a non-home folder.

d4rkspike
<3

Win7 is fucking amazing and I see no reason to mess with something that works so well, especially when it hasn't been out for very long.

ephekt

I'm sticking with 7 until 8 is proven, but I'll probably VM it as soon as it's on MSDN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooK View Post
But sometimes it doesn't really make much sense. Like the coveted Administrator account being unable to see files that were downloaded to a non-home folder.
Not really sure what you mean. Could be an ownership issue though, in which case you simply take ownership. I always use non-home folders to transfer files to other workstations/servers, without issue.

MooK

Quote:
I'm sticking with 7 until 8 is proven, but I'll probably VM it as soon as it's on MSDN.

Not really sure what you mean. Could be an ownership issue though, in which case you simply take ownership. I always use non-home folders to transfer files to other workstations/servers, without issue.

I downloaded a file from the Internet into the Program Files folder, within a sub-directory using my administrator account, MooK. I could not view the file. So I tried re-downloading it, but it told me the file already existed (and I could see it!) I checked permissions, full RWX. So I logged into the Administrator account, and still could not locate the file. That's what I'm talking about.

The only way I could view the file is if I tried to save the exact same file (from the exact same web address, other mirrors did not work) and looked in the explorer box that popped up to save a download. Silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rkspike View Post
Win7 is fucking amazing and I see no reason to mess with something that works so well, especially when it hasn't been out for very long.

Software can become obsolete fairly quickly, especially when it comes to operating systems. Though I agree that I'd much rather see service packs and incremental, useful upgrades to Windows 7 than a full-blown new release. Especially for software that is so expensive.

ytzombe
No place better than the Lone Star State!

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...ict-resolution
The file copying experience has changed dramatically in Win 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytzombe View Post
http://www.extremetech.com/computing...ict-resolution
The file copying experience has changed dramatically in Win 8.

Oh awesome. They finally added multiple operations per window. At least they're not like Apple, claiming it to be "revolutionary" when everyone else has had this for quite some time.

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Win7 is excellent, as M$ products go. I never really had problems with Fista, but I built a rig that made mincemeat out of it, too,

Hell, on the machines I had that had ME on them, it wasn't any different functionally than 98, so it never really caused me any real issues.

But, with regard to 8: what about the beta program? It seems like everyone on here and his hot mom were beta testers for Win7, so how the heck do ya get into it??

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

я~~~ я~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex я~~~ я~~~

ephekt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooK View Post
I downloaded a file from the Internet into the Program Files folder, within a sub-directory using my administrator account, MooK. I could not view the file. So I tried re-downloading it, but it told me the file already existed (and I could see it!) I checked permissions, full RWX. So I logged into the Administrator account, and still could not locate the file. That's what I'm talking about.

The only way I could view the file is if I tried to save the exact same file (from the exact same web address, other mirrors did not work) and looked in the explorer box that popped up to save a download. Silly.
Couldn't "view" as is see it in a dir list, or couldn't execute/open? I forget the specific policy now, but a SP somewhere enabled file blocking on certain extensions. You need to right click the file and "unblock." You can disabled this but I couldn't tell you where off the top of my head.

If you meant it didn't show up in a dir list, then it was probably tagged +h. Try attrib -h.

Something I have noticed, as far back as XP, is that sometimes you'll download a file but have to f5/refresh the folder view in order to see it. Usually only happens on the desktop or large folders though.

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_dror View Post
hello, I am new here. nice to meet you.
Veeeeery nice to meet you young man. got any great deals on Gucci handbags, CHEEP NIKES PUMA ADIDAS REEBOK or maybe some nice Armani t-shirts?

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v