General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Heathen-Yak
OMGDIE2U

FFFUUUUU Sony

Just had an update pop up in my ps3, the 3d support update, which I don't need but have to download anyway if I want to access the store. I let it download and install and now my PS3 won't boot up, I get a flashing red light Is there any hope?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Lotsoguns

I was afraid of this particular problem when I was updating my 60gig, basically your fucked out of 150bux to have Sony repair it if I remember correctly.

After they killed the Linux feature (one of the selling points for my 60gig) I decided Sony can eat my shit.

Heathen-Yak
OMGDIE2U

Yeah this is a bajillion year old 60gb system. Now to decide if I wanna pay 150 and wait a month for it to return or just buy a slim.

One of the guys at work had some luck repairing his reflowing the solder on the main board. Since it's out of warranty anyway I'll let him take a crack at it tomorrow at work.

theNoid

Wait, a software update broke your PS3 and Sony is making you pay to repair it?

Roam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen-Yak View Post
Yeah this is a bajillion year old 60gb system. Now to decide if I wanna pay 150 and wait a month for it to return or just buy a slim.

One of the guys at work had some luck repairing his reflowing the solder on the main board. Since it's out of warranty anyway I'll let him take a crack at it tomorrow at work.

Where's the logic here... software update, and you are concerned about the hardware?

Disarm

Why do you want to work on the main board when it's the software update that messed everything up? Besides, I think if it was the motherboard, you'd be getting the Yellow Light of Death and not a blinking red one. Try the use the recovery menu.

How to Access Playstation Recovery Menu

1. Turn off Playstation®3.
2. Hold The power button down; The system will turn on and turn off once again.
3. Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger until you hear 2 consecutive beeps
4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.
5. You will be promted to plug in your controller via usb and then hit the PS button
6. The Recovery menu will pop up.

Available Options

* Restart System:
o Restarts the PLAYSTATION®3 System.

* Restore Default Settings:
o Reset all system settings back to default.

* Restore File System:
o Checks for corrupt/missing system files.

* Rebuild Database:
o Rebuilds the OS for the PLAYSTATION®3.

* Restore PS3 System:
o Fresh restore; Deletes everything and starts from Scratch.

* System Update:
o Update the PLAYSTATION®3 System

isugoat

Sony rushed a bunch of firmware out the door to fuck the hackers and only end up fucking the normal people. gg

sir tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoat View Post
Sony rushed a bunch of firmware out the door to fuck the hackers and only end up fucking the normal people. gg

You realize that there's a chance that this will happen with every firmware update for most anything, right? Statistically speaking, even if you have a 99.99999% success rate, a few people's PS3 are going to brick when updating with every firmware. That's probably why Microsoft only upgrades a couple times a year (iirc).

Intuitiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir tex View Post
You realize that there's a chance that this will happen with every firmware update for most anything, right? Statistically speaking, even if you have a 99.99999% success rate, a few people's PS3 are going to brick when updating with every firmware. That's probably why Microsoft only upgrades a couple times a year (iirc).

This is true, rushed or not, when system critical files are updated there will be a small amount of failure. This is something you should be able to restore using their recovery programs, or Sony should repair it for free, if not...WTF

sir tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuitiv View Post
This is true, rushed or not, when system critical files are updated there will be a small amount of failure. This is something you should be able to restore using their recovery programs, or Sony should repair it for free, if not...WTF

Agreed 110%.

Heathen-Yak
OMGDIE2U

The fact that it broke on a software update was coincidence. We broke it down after work today, the thermal compound on the GPU and CPU had pretty much evaporated except on the corners of the chips. Cleaned the mobo with PCB cleaner, blew the shell and heatsink unit with an air compressor. Re-flowed the solder on the CPU/GPU/Ram with a high temp heat gun. Ate some M&Ms, put it back together with new thermal compound and it's working again.

It picked up on patching as soon as we turned it back on before we got it reassembled.

Heathen-Yak
OMGDIE2U

Was a hardware failure, I tried all this with no love but we fixed it.........for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disarm View Post
Why do you want to work on the main board when it's the software update that messed everything up? Besides, I think if it was the motherboard, you'd be getting the Yellow Light of Death and not a blinking red one. Try the use the recovery menu.

How to Access Playstation Recovery Menu

1. Turn off Playstation®3.
2. Hold The power button down; The system will turn on and turn off once again.
3. Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger until you hear 2 consecutive beeps
4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.
5. You will be promted to plug in your controller via usb and then hit the PS button
6. The Recovery menu will pop up.

Available Options

* Restart System:
o Restarts the PLAYSTATION®3 System.

* Restore Default Settings:
o Reset all system settings back to default.

* Restore File System:
o Checks for corrupt/missing system files.

* Rebuild Database:
o Rebuilds the OS for the PLAYSTATION®3.

* Restore PS3 System:
o Fresh restore; Deletes everything and starts from Scratch.

* System Update:
o Update the PLAYSTATION®3 System