General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

g|aSsJaw
NEW YORK GIANTS SUPERBOWL CHAMPS, ELI MANNING SUPERBOWL 42 MVP

Who is The Poi and where can I see his car? I just noticed you guys talking about him.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

u467

Quote:
Originally Posted by g|aSsJaw View Post
Who is The Poi and where can I see his car? I just noticed you guys talking about him.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=52060

poi is legendary for his paddle shift 960

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
you mean s52, and yes, obviously.

germans, brits and italians had the straight six looooong before the japanese even rode inside of a car, mmmmmkay

The reason toyota and nissan's straight sixes hold 1500hp with a huge turbo is not because toyota and nissan can do something other people cant... it's because they are basically copies of existing straight sixes that hold 1800hp with a huge turbo. FYI

Oblivious

Quote:
you mean s52, and yes, obviously.

Come on, what's the difference between an M52 and an S52? 400ccs, cams, software? They're the same engine.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivious View Post
Come on, what's the difference between an M52 and an S52? 400ccs, cams, software? They're the same engine.

the forged internals for one.

either way though. the japs do not have any sort of monopoly on a good straight six. In fact none of them make it anymore due to cross platform compatibility issues and manufacturing costs. it was fun while it lasted though and produced a number of iconic cars.

Sadly even the new lexus IS 350 uses a v6 out of a camry...

SiGmA_X

Quote:
the forged internals for one.

either way though. the japs do not have any sort of monopoly on a good straight six. In fact none of them make it anymore due to cross platform compatibility issues and manufacturing costs. it was fun while it lasted though and produced a number of iconic cars.

Sadly even the new lexus IS 350 uses a v6 out of a camry...
S52 only has a forged crank, which the M52B28 has, and M52B25 does not. Differences are the camshafts, software, valvesprings (no "gains"), and 359cc's. AFAIK everything else is the same. That said, the M5X family is a family full of awesome motors. I'd only trade mine for an S50[B30/32 Euro]. Or maybe an LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivious View Post
Yes. And not 400cc, 359cc.

edplayer
no

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGmA_X View Post
That said, the M5X family is a family full of awesome motors. I'd only trade mine for an S50[B30/32 Euro].

wat about the S54?

[QUOTE=g|aSsJaw;25381666]I'm not going to go back and forth with you about it all night, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

SiGmA_X

Quote:
Originally Posted by edplayer View Post
wat about the S54?
I like it. Lets be real here, its pretty much just an S50B32. I'd take the S50B32 cuz it came in my favorite chassis

[H]ard|On

Quote:
S52 only has a forged crank, which the M52B28 has, and M52B25 does not. Differences are the camshafts, software, valvesprings (no "gains"), and 359cc's. AFAIK everything else is the same. That said, the M5X family is a family full of awesome motors. I'd only trade mine for an S50[B30/32 Euro]. Or maybe an LS1Yes. And not 400cc, 359cc.

by trade you mean go through all the work of swapping or one day discover a whole different deal?

cause that changes things

[H]ard|On

Quote:
I like it. Lets be real here, its pretty much just an S50B32. I'd take the S50B32 cuz it came in my favorite chassis

They're all basically the same thing. A US spec with some massaging puts down the same rwhp as a euro, and the s54 is the old euro inside the US, legally, but with double vanos and some other shit for a tiny gain.

Jehannum

Quote:
The reason toyota and nissan's straight sixes hold 1500hp with a huge turbo is not because toyota and nissan can do something other people cant... it's because they are basically copies of existing straight sixes that hold 1800hp with a huge turbo. FYI

The L series straight 6 in my Datsun is basically a straight copy of the Mercedes I6 of the era.

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

Jehannum

...and back on topic, I think the window for restorations is 20-30 years. When a guy turns 40 years old, or has enough extra scratch that it starts to make sense to him, he starts looking back fondly on the car he always wanted (or his father had) in his youth. I think that puts the current BMW window pretty squarely on the E30 and E36.

I know I wanted a Z32 from the moment I first saw one in 1990. Here it is in 2010, and I'm mid-refresh on my own.

Kinda depends on the model lineup, though. BMW has consistently done well with the 3 series, so it's not like Nissan where you had a decade of polished turds (280ZX and Z31 300ZX) between decent runs (240/260/280Z and Z32 300ZX). I doubt, for example, that anyone will be bothering with the early '90s GM FWD shitboxes.

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
...and back on topic, I think the window for restorations is 20-30 years. When a guy turns 40 years old, or has enough extra scratch that it starts to make sense to him, he starts looking back fondly on the car he always wanted (or his father had) in his youth. I think that puts the current BMW window pretty squarely on the E30 and E36.

I know I wanted a Z32 from the moment I first saw one in 1990. Here it is in 2010, and I'm mid-refresh on my own.

Kinda depends on the model lineup, though. BMW has consistently done well with the 3 series, so it's not like Nissan where you had a decade of polished turds (280ZX and Z31 300ZX) between decent runs (240/260/280Z and Z32 300ZX). I doubt, for example, that anyone will be bothering with the early '90s GM FWD shitboxes.

Agreed, I said this above too. You get older, you got some money... time to relive the glory days.

You don't even have to be that old, just within means. One of my ex-neighbors whom i still keep in touch with had a 95 325 he really liked and was always doing stuff to. in the end he got hit by a drunk guy and ended up riding his 600cc to work for a couple years then driving some honda after being hit in the face with plywood on the freeway. Now that he's got a good job, a kid and a wife he's thinking about another e36 he can have an affair with and take to an auto X once in a while.