General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Millions
Genmay Art Gawd

$5 - $9 and I'll consider it. I suck at Starcraft so I have NO desire to purchase the game...but I love the detail in the cutscenes...I'd be interested in something like that.

But for $30?! What is he off his nut? I didn't even pay $30 for Watchmen with all the bonus shit plus the digital copy! In 6 months you'll be able to get the entire game for $30
Hey Charlie Murphy! Arrrgh! You darkness, you black, midnight, evil mother------, black magic, darkness, you raw...darkness, you, -------, delirious mother-------, argh! You were cold as ice! ---- your couch! I'm Rick James, bitch!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Gabbo

The line that caught my eye was not about the cost or the implication for how game's stories are delivered, but this:
Quote:
"we have their credit card information and we have a direct relationship"
That's how he sees his customers, and it scares me that he would outright mention it when it's not relevant at all. earning more good will that Kotick.

Roam

Is stiler reading it wrong or am I?

I doesn't say they wanna take cut-scenes out of games, just sell them again seperate from the game. That doesn't mean the game wont have cinematics to tie the story together... just if you liked them, then you can buy them on a DVD or something. A waste of money if you ask me, but some people are big enough fans to pay for the same thing again.

Again though, unless I'm missing it, nothing is mentioned about removing cut-scenes from games and ONLY selling them seperate...

Electrikfuzz050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roam View Post
That doesn't mean the game wont have cinematics to tie the story together... just if you liked them, then you can buy them on a DVD or something.

Not DVDs, movie theatres.

Quote:
"If we were to go to our audience and say we have this great hour-and-a-half of linear video that we would like to make available to you at a $30 price point or $20 price point, you'd have the biggestopening weekend of any film ever," Kotick said. "Within the next five years, you are likely to see us do that. Now that may be in partnership with somebody; it may be alone. But there will be a time when we capitalize on the relationship that we have with our audience."

Kotick said that Activision could do better than a traditional video company with such a product because "we have their credit card information and we have a direct relationship" with them, meaning the company could bypass the expenses of standard distribution methods. What's more, given the loyalty of the company's enthusiast consumer base, he believes "an extremely high percentage" would be willing to then go to a theater and see the same film.

Biospider

Quote:

I doesn't say they wanna take cut-scenes out of games, just sell them again seperate from the game. That doesn't mean the game wont have cinematics to tie the story together... just if you liked them, then you can buy them on a DVD or something. A waste of money if you ask me, but some people are big enough fans to pay for the same thing again.

Again though, unless I'm missing it, nothing is mentioned about removing cut-scenes from games and ONLY selling them seperate...

I gives credence to the retarded idea that games wish they could be movies.

lonedawg
Stiler

Quote:

No, I never said that games wouldn't have any cutscenes, rather that they'd take the cutscenes from the game (take them, not cut them out) and then try to sell you just the cutscenes for 30 bucks, who would buy that instead of buying the whole game isntead?

However if it does come true, and they start doing it and people start buying them, you can bet your ass they'll start having "exclusive" uncut parts of the story in the movies and not in the actual full game.

Killer_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBBY KOTICK
"we have their credit card information and therefore, we do whatever I fucking want. They can go fuck themselves if they don't like it."

What he might as well have said.

Founding [M]ember of the GENTLY CARESS EA Club.

Then the network comes back up. And then down again. Up... and down. It keeps going down like a Clinton intern.

Gabbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiler View Post
who would buy that instead of buying the whole game instead?

The same people that pay for map packs and avatar clothing and anything else that's been released as paid DLC since horse armour

growler
Since I continuously bitch when The Queen posts, she is my new av.

Quote:
No, I never said that games wouldn't have any cutscenes, rather that they'd take the cutscenes from the game (take them, not cut them out) and then try to sell you just the cutscenes for 30 bucks, who would buy that instead of buying the whole game isntead?

However if it does come true, and they start doing it and people start buying them, you can bet your ass they'll start having "exclusive" uncut parts of the story in the movies and not in the actual full game.

you need a new fucking hobby because games are just not doing it for you

lonedawg
Stiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
you need a new fucking hobby because games are just not doing it for you

You need to get a life and stop trolling every topic I make, seriously did we not go over this before?

Don't have anything to say about the topic? Want just whine about me or such? Then keep it to yourself and don't post.

Biospider

Quote:
You need to get a life and stop trolling every topic I make, seriously did we not go over this before?

Don't have anything to say about the topic? Want just whine about me or such? Then keep it to yourself and don't post.

People always call you out when you rant about anything What's up with that?

This plan will fall apart the second they trying stringing together a "movie" from the game anyway. They can sell the CG like Blizzard currently does, maybe throw a few in-game cutscenes... but that won't accomplish much, IMO.

I'm so afraid to picture him having a team of people counseling him and these being the ideas that are allowed to transpire.

Exaotus
I own a copy of brokeback mountain.

I'd spend cash money on escapist material

Kinda like movies and books that don't require my complete interactiveness (ie: games)

What would be interesting, and acceptable, would be for them to release a game with cutscenes for acceptable prices (ie: $0, cause we ain't paying for the fucking cutscenes) then a movie version (minus the complete interactiveness, and inserted cutscences for where the gamer "takes over".)

The gamer gets his or her interactiveness, the movie/fiction lover gets his or her story.

I guess it depends on how much they are willing to spend.

Exaotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaotus View Post
I'd spend cash money on escapist material

Kinda like movies and books that don't require my complete interactiveness (ie: games)

What would be interesting, and acceptable, would be for them to release a game with cutscenes for acceptable prices (ie: $0, cause we ain't paying for the fucking cutscenes) then a movie version (minus the complete interactiveness, and inserted cutscences for where the gamer "takes over".)

The gamer gets his or her interactiveness, the movie/fiction lover gets his or her story.

I guess it depends on how much they are willing to spend.

Ohh, then we get to see where the authors feel the antagonist goes. Then we gamers get to go online and say: "wtf? LOLZ I DON'T FUCKING THINK SO, AUTHORS DUDES AND DUDETTES. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS: (faggy details here of fags doing stupid shit in game that makes no sense)"

Kahnza
el borracho
I luvs me some big ole fatties... too bad my lil weiner makes them cry! :(

are you not stoked to see full length movies?

just the fucking fact that the film will exist in the future makes my balls tingle.

truly? you and most gamers are a bunch of whining, "nickel and dime-ing" cunts. video games are far better today than they ever were before and it's because we pay more. we have more games out today than ever because we pay more. the sheer amount of imagination and coordination it takes to put together some of these games is fucking staggering. i'd like to go ahead and apologize to you on behalf of the video gaming industry, you incredibly unappreciative and intolerant fucks. is there ever a time where you don't demand the entire world give you something new faster, and for free?

i'm sorry, we're sorry. it's oh so terrible you have, yet again, something new to enjoy if you so choose. it must be truly awful that the buffet of entertainment is growing so large and you're frustrated with yourself for continuing to want it all.

seriously, fuck you, you childish prick.

OWK is my official hero.

suffocate (9:05:45 PM): he's the sweetest guy you will ever meet. fuck off.

Exaotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Borracho View Post
are you not stoked to see full length movies?

just the fucking fact that the film will exist in the future makes my balls tingle.

truly? you and most gamers are a bunch of whining, "nickel and dime-ing" cunts. video games are far better today than they ever were before and it's because we pay more. we have more games out today than ever because we pay more. the sheer amount of imagination and coordination it takes to put together some of these games is fucking staggering. i'd like to go ahead and apologize to you on behalf of the video gaming industry, you incredibly unappreciative and intolerant fucks. is there ever a time where you don't demand the entire world give you something new faster, and for free?

i'm sorry, we're sorry. it's oh so terrible you have, yet again, something new to enjoy if you so choose. it must be truly awful that the buffet of entertainment is growing so large and you're frustrated with yourself for continuing to want it all.

seriously, fuck you, you childish prick.

the tea party wants a word with you