General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Lantec
PozMcAIDS_McFaggotPants

Quote:
Originally Posted by claffix View Post
Not everybody, but I do know people who raise them for meat.

awesome

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Daishi
daishi daishi bo baishi banana fana fo faishi

Only on genmay could a dumbass thread like this spawn to nearly 200 posts.

Everyone wants to justify their purchases, it happens with anything people buy.
AZNZ don't want trucks; they want SUPRA because IS SO FAST.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Might as well tack on HP and displacement limits to that as well. Which won't go over with the public at all and that's why they aren't already in place.

Besides, according to this site the curb weight difference between late model dodge 1500 and 2500 series trucks (as an example) is in the 700-800 lbs range. AKA a fat friend and a tool box. So is someone driving a loaded 1500 going to require a special license where as an unloaded 2500 which may well be lighter won't? There are already licensing systems in place for big trucks, trucks that get A LOT bigger than anything we are talking about here.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...b-weight10.htm

No I disagree about displacement and horsepower, although I'd be fine with it.

Heavier vehicles are more dangerous to others in a crash, put more wear and tear on the roads... Taxing vehicles by weight sounds like a great start - more logical than doing it by displacement, as done in certain countries like Japan and Russia.

claffix

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Heavier vehicles are more dangerous to others in a crash, put more wear and tear on the roads... Taxing vehicles by weight sounds like a great start - more logical than doing it by displacement, as done in certain countries like Japan and Russia.

Putting inexperienced or otherwise poor drivers in high performance vehicles creates a big risk for them as well as other people on the road, look at motorcycles as an example. Displacement limits for unexperienced drivers work, and they are in effect in a lot of places.

The vehicles that do the lions share of damage to the roads are taxed already: semis. Again, take a look at the link I posted earlier. The curb weight difference between a 2009 Ram 2500 and a 2009 Charger is only 1800 lbs, and its not hard to find heavier cars and lighter trucks. If you want a good way to reduce wear and tear on roads, its getting EVERYBODY to drive less regardless of vehicle.

I like my girls like I like my bikes: fast, naked, and barely legal.

Slow and steady wins the race, but fast and reckless steals the show.

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Putting inexperienced or otherwise poor drivers in ... creates a big risk ... look at motorcycles as an example.

The curb weight difference between a 2009 Ram 2500 and a 2009 Charger is only 1800 lbs, and its not hard to find heavier cars and lighter trucks..

Motorcycles rarely cause any harm to other people. When they fly off the road usually nobody else gets hurt. Which is why nobody really cares if you had any training or not - make a circle around some cones in the parking lot and you got yourself a license.

The weight difference between two chrysler products - that's not much of an argument. Also 1800 lbs is almost an entire MR2. Not exactly nothing.

wwilliam54

Quote:
Motorcycles rarely cause any harm to other people. When they fly off the road usually nobody else gets hurt. Which is why nobody really cares if you had any training or not - make a circle around some cones in the parking lot and you got yourself a license.

The weight difference between two chrysler products - that's not much of an argument. Also 1800 lbs is almost an entire MR2. Not exactly nothing.

FFS 1800lbs is my car with a full tank of gas, and a few cases of beer in the hatch

claffix

Quote:

400+ lbs moving at a high rate of speed isn't dangerous to other people on the road?

Motorcycle/car collisions are less frequent because there aren't as many motorcycles on the road, not because they usually fly off the road.

I like my girls like I like my bikes: fast, naked, and barely legal.

Slow and steady wins the race, but fast and reckless steals the show.

tron119

Quote:
400+ lbs moving at a high rate of speed isn't dangerous to other people on the road?

Motorcycle/car collisions are less frequent because there aren't as many motorcycles on the road, not because they usually fly off the road.

What kind of stupid car is that anyway

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron119 View Post

European?

Asa of the Infidel Crew

Fiah
Sinds ik als transseksuele prostituee bezig ben, heb ik mezelf eindelijk leren accepteren. PM me voo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron119 View Post

Peugeot 106. Fun car while it lasted.

edit: fuck, I'd buy one today if I found one for the right price

[H]ard|On

Quote:

How funny I thought of that same picture when i was saying they are not as dangerous.

That picture is funny and sure makes the rounds.. why? Because it's rare, that's why. More rare than motorcycles themselves obviously; I've never seen a car seriously mangled by a bike, have you?

L33T_h4x0r_d00d

Quote:
How funny I thought of that same picture when i was saying they are not as dangerous.

That picture is funny and sure makes the rounds.. why? Because it's rare, that's why. More rare than motorcycles themselves obviously; I've never seen a car seriously mangled by a bike, have you?

When a motorcycle and a minivan have buttsex its usually pretty bad for both. I can't get pics right now due to a work proxy but I'm sure someone else can.

asa

Quote:

for about four years, my brother drove a tow truck in Tallahassee Fl (so you can look up the population), about once a year or so TPD would call his company on a police response accident involving a car and a motorcycle
now, the rotation had to go through every tow truck company in Tally (half a dozen or so), but still once a year, year and a half they'd get this mangled combination of motorcycle and SUV/van/whatever

Asa of the Infidel Crew

asa

Quote:
Originally Posted by L33T_h4x0r_d00d View Post
When a motorcycle and a minivan have buttsex its usually pretty bad for both. I can't get pics right now due to a work proxy but I'm sure someone else can.

http://www.cmsnl.com/news/what-a-155...e_news176.html

Asa of the Infidel Crew

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by L33T_h4x0r_d00d View Post

I'm sure it looks nasty but if you're in a minivan and you got a flying gixxer stuck up your ass it's probably not going to end up deadly (although it certainly could be for the rider)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post

Most of the time accidents between a bike and a car will be 'glancing' blows like this one. The unsuspecting driver isn't really hurt, and the insurance can sort the glass and sheetmetal out.

To hurt a cager you'd have to T-bone him/her RIGHT in the door at a pretty healthy rate of speed. Meanining that either you or they ran a red light or a stop sign. Either way the same thing would be worse if it was a bronco or an f250 running the red, or from any other concievable angle. Same thing if a car that had right of way collides WITH a bike that was speeding through a redlight - it's nowhere near as bad as hitting a large truck since the bike will obviously give way.