General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

wwilliam54

Quote:
Originally Posted by claffix View Post
When you have a service body like this fully loaded with tools and supplies and you still need to pull a trailer, you need a little more than a 1500.

Still a wierd choice
Both here in IA and down in MS all the utility companies used International Harvester Trucks
edit: the meter readers have rangers tho.

Last edited by wwilliam54; 10-11-2010 at 11:46 AM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

superunknown98

I think people like to forget or don't consider other people's circumstances when they hate on trucks. I personally own a 94' ford ranger which I've DD for 6 years and just recently added a Honda S2000 to take over dd responsibilities in the summer. Here are some observations:

The further you live from a large city, the more convenient it is to own a truck.
Need to haul fire wood around muddy dirt roads? Good luck in an accord, even with a trailer. Town doesn't plow snow from your 1/4 mile up hill driveway in the winter? Have fun in an AWD BMW. Does your hunting cabin use 100LB tanks of propane? That will fit in the trunk of a mazda 3 right? Now you could rent a truck, sure, but some of these tasks need to be done quite often and that will get expensive/ inconvenient. Not to mention the nearest rental place is 40 miles away. A trailer might handle some of the tasks, but then you have to spend money to buy one and maintain it. not to mention it is inconvenient parking with it. Could you survive without a truck? Sure, but it would be more than a pain in the ass.

Inversely very few people in or very close to a city need a truck, and I would agree that many people are just wasting resources. It is kind of annoying, i know where you're coming from. But damn is it ever convenient. I mean who really wants to drive to home depot to rent a truck, which by the way is more than $29.99, every time they need to move a couch, 60" TV, Bed, table, etc.... Yes it maybe cheaper than owning a truck, but it doesn't make life as easy.

wwilliam54

Quote:
Originally Posted by superunknown98 View Post
I think people like to forget or don't consider other people's circumstances when they hate on trucks. I personally own a 94' ford ranger which I've DD for 6 years and just recently added a Honda S2000 to take over dd responsibilities in the summer. Here are some observations:

The further you live from a large city, the more convenient it is to own a truck.
Need to haul fire wood around muddy dirt roads? Good luck in an accord, even with a trailer. Town doesn't plow snow from your 1/4 mile up hill driveway in the winter? Have fun in an AWD BMW. Does your hunting cabin use 100LB tanks of propane? That will fit in the trunk of a mazda 3 right? Now you could rent a truck, sure, but some of these tasks need to be done quite often and that will get expensive/ inconvenient. Not to mention the nearest rental place is 40 miles away. A trailer might handle some of the tasks, but then you have to spend money to buy one and maintain it. not to mention it is inconvenient parking with it. Could you survive without a truck? Sure, but it would be more than a pain in the ass.

Inversely very few people in or very close to a city need a truck, and I would agree that many people are just wasting resources. It is kind of annoying, i know where you're coming from. But damn is it ever convenient. I mean who really wants to drive to home depot to rent a truck, which by the way is more than $29.99, every time they need to move a couch, 60" TV, Bed, table, etc.... Yes it maybe cheaper than owning a truck, but it doesn't make life as easy.

TBH I never worry about stuff like that
my roommate has a F-250.
If he didn't I would find some old 80's beater ranger

imzjustplayin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC View Post
Do you even shop for groceries? Unless you go by yourself and fill your seats, not gonna happen.

So you must be riding in a bicycle everywhere you go or riding the bus? Every other vehicle aside from a 2 seater smart car is completely unreasonable. Go ahead and explain why you need a luxury sedan and why a bus ticket wouldnt be more efficient

Why is this even an issue? Put the delicate stuff in the backseat and the rest goes in the bed. You couldn't figure this out? I'm surprised you could pass a driving test with that lack of common sense

Yeah Yeah.. Nobody goes to Costco or Sams Club.. idiot..
I've spent several hundred dollars when I went to costco to buy some food and 20 100ft gardening hoses, and I stuffed all of that into the back of a Volvo S60 with the seats folded down. There are very few individual items you can buy at costco that would call for the use of a pickup truck. What you people don't seem to understand is, a car with the seats folded down has the same amount of "bed" room as a pickup truck, so the idea that you're going to need a pickup truck to buy most everything at costco is retarded. Most people buy food at costco and a few other miscellaneous stuff, it's not like everytime you go to costco, you're buying a lawnmower or other unwieldy objects. The problem you pickup truck guys have is you use it as a DD despite the fact that over 90% of the shit you do, would suffice with a car. I see nothing wrong with owning a pickup truck and using it for its purpose, however what I do see wrong is using that truck as your primary vehicle when a car would suffice for that purpose just fine. The majority of the scenarios I hear promoting pickup trucks are for one off occasions, it's not like you're moving your belongings from house to house everyday.

kstokes

tons of friends of mine are asian - none of them drive pickups simply because none of them have any use for them, do not like them aesthetically, do not like the way they ride, handle, or how much they cost to operate. Simply put, if you don't need one, there are zero upsides to owning one.
'95 Nissan Maxima - why do I still own you?

Bolix
Meine Ehre Heißt Treue

hard to tow a G6 behind a Ford Ranger, even if it is an XLT

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

CommiePunk
my rectum bleeds everyday

this thread reminds me how much i want an F-250 Diesel 4-door.

Bolix
Meine Ehre Heißt Treue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommiePunk View Post
this thread reminds me how much i want an F-250 Diesel 4-door.
2-door is just as awesome

CommiePunk
my rectum bleeds everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolix View Post
2-door is just as awesome

yea it is but the 4 door makes more sense for me

3nk1du

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuzzyArchon View Post
people shouldn't be driving IMO
You're the perfect example for this argument.

Thermo1223

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3nk1du View Post
You're the perfect example for this argument.

He hit a bus
Range - GTFO god :rolleyes:

theWITNESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolix View Post
hard to tow a G6 behind a Ford Ranger, even if it is an XLT

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

It depends; when you drink, do you do it right like slizzard?

solareon

Quote:
Originally Posted by claffix View Post
Why did you choose the gas V10 over the diesel? I had always thought that by the time you needed that kind of power it made more economical sense to go to a diesel engine.

Price and availability. There is easily a 3k markup on trucks in this area and we got this truck under blue book. Plus we are good friends with the previous owner so if we have any problems
1987 RX-7 TII - sold =(

occupant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC View Post
Do you even shop for groceries? Unless you go by yourself and fill your seats, not gonna happen

Take me to the wholesale club. My car's trunk is hungry for some plastic bag buttse....I mean...a delightful shopping excursion where I buy too much of everything and still can't not fit it all.

Torino say nom nom nom...

*trunk space shown above smaller than actual size...your mileage may vary...do not chop off the feet of that bunch of lying no good punks to fit them in here...yes that is a double rainbow...please keep your hands and feet inside the mafia staff vehicle's cargo compartment at all times...this is not a drill...

ricemaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWITNESS View Post
It depends; when you drink, do you do it right like slizzard?

YES