General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Adidas > *

broken rear spring mount on f-150?

Hey guys,

I just came back from looking at 1990 F-150 that I was looking to buy. The rest of the truck seemed to check out, has a bunch of new parts and runs well.

The only thing is that the one of the rear spring mount has rusted through and snapped off.

Picture:

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/9830/img6923z.jpg

Is this is particularly expensive/serious fix? The rest of the frame looks okay, just some surface rust.

I would have the local shop do this repair.

Thanks for any info!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

local shop? hell, grind the rivets out, install a new mount in with Grade 8 bolts and go about your business, it's the normal procedure for F150 owners

looking at that, i'd think that the truck was used for putting a boat into salt water, or driven up north in the snow and salt, check the rest of underneath thoroughly

i've got a '93 and have had incredibly good luck with getting parts from both National Parts Depot and LMC Trucks
very helpful staff, and decent prices

Asa of the Infidel Crew

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

It's that rusty everywhere, and this won't be the last thing to break imho.

I would pass and look for one in better shape, no shortage of used f150s I don't think...

asa

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post

I would pass and look for one in better shape, no shortage of used f150s I don't think...

my thoughts, but we have nowhere near the rest of the story, might be a truck that has a $1000 price tag because this as the only thing really wrong with it, in which case it's a steal

Asa of the Infidel Crew

ZMan
title fixed for good of forums

Quote:

not necessarily, those very commenly rust out, Rangers and F-150s have the same problems when it comes to those. He might want to check out the rest of the frame, but its probably fine, just because it looks nasty doesn't mean its junk, this is just shit we have to deal with in the salt belt.

edit: oh great. I have an awesome avatar
'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 5.2l
'13 F-150 Ecoboost

Adidas > *

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
local shop? hell, grind the rivets out, install a new mount in with Grade 8 bolts and go about your business, it's the normal procedure for F150 owners

looking at that, i'd think that the truck was used for putting a boat into salt water, or driven up north in the snow and salt, check the rest of underneath thoroughly

i've got a '93 and have had incredibly good luck with getting parts from both National Parts Depot and LMC Trucks
very helpful staff, and decent prices

Okay doke, thanks for that

You are correct! I live in New England, home of long bitter winters and salty roads. The underside is a damn mess surface rust, but nothing that looks like it has been structurally compromised.

Quote:

While I agree with what you're saying...the guy is willing to take $800. A bit more info:

1990 F-150
4 x 2
Straight 6
High(er) mileage, I think it was around 180K (mostly highway, according to him)
comes with a tool box
new tires, new exhaust, new alternator, new heater core, newer battery. Thing seemed to run pretty well.

I'm hoping to sell off the tool box for a 100 bucks to offset cost of repair. Just need a beater to get me around, if this is reliable enough, may move to Texas in this.

edit: I'll probably catch hell for the 2wd only thing, but I have no intention to go offroading or anything like that. Even in a snow storm, my commute is just a few miles away. 4x4 would be nice, but I have no problems with the 2wd.

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMan View Post
not necessarily, those very commenly rust out, Rangers and F-150s have the same problems when it comes to those. He might want to check out the rest of the frame, but its probably fine, just because it looks nasty doesn't mean its junk, this is just shit we have to deal with in the salt belt.

edit: oh great. I have an awesome avatar

i c

From my dry climate perspective that picture does not scream nice find.

Ps. lol yeah your AV is thuper

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas > * View Post
Okay doke, thanks for that

You are correct! I live in New England, home of long bitter winters and salty roads. The underside is a damn mess surface rust, but nothing that looks like it has been structurally compromised.

While I agree with what you're saying...the guy is willing to take $800. A bit more info:

1990 F-150
4 x 2
Straight 6
comes with a tool box
new tires, new exhaust, new alternator, new heater core, newer battery. Thing seemed to run pretty well.

I'm hoping to sell off the tool box for a 100 bucks to offset cost of repair. Just need a beater to get me around, if this is reliable enough, may move to Texas in this.

too bad you can't wait to find a truck IN texas

That motor is as tough as they come. You could lubricate it with sand, in a pinch, as the story goes.

asa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas > * View Post

1990 F-150
4 x 2
Straight 6
comes with a tool box

i've got the 4.9L
my '93, i got it with about 146K on it, it currently has somewhere north of 255K
the only problem i've had with it that was not my negligence was the fuel pump going out randomly when i was driving cross country

the E4OD is a decent transmission if you make sure the fluid is taken care of, the earlier ones have more problems

Asa of the Infidel Crew

Adidas > *

Quote:
too bad you can't wait to find a truck IN texas

Ain't that the truth

Thanks for the replies! I'll call the owner in the morning to put an offer in.

If it goes through, I'll post pics, however ugly it may be

Adidas > *

Update:

Got the truck for $750. Truck runs well, cosmetically it isn't that great of shape (rust around bed, hood is peeling like a bad case of sunburn, misc rust spots) but it should make a good beater.

Time for an oil change, tranny fluid check/change and the rear spring mount fixed.

Thanks for the previous help!

asa

great lookin truck for $750

i'd take that bed-insert out and see what it looks like underneath, those are horrible

ask the previous owner if they maintained the transmission by changing it regularly, if they didn't... i dunno about changing the fluid, the transmission is about the weak point on that truck, tread carefully

Asa of the Infidel Crew

claffix

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
i'd take that bed-insert out and see what it looks like underneath, those are horrible

I'd bet he puts it right back in. It's over the rail like the one in my truck so the paint along the rails is rubbing off. Mine came with the truck but I'd never buy another one. They're hard to clean, fuck up paint and slippery as shit when you get snow on them.

I like my girls like I like my bikes: fast, naked, and barely legal.

Slow and steady wins the race, but fast and reckless steals the show.

asa

Quote:
Originally Posted by claffix View Post
I'd bet he puts it right back in. It's over the rail like the one in my truck so the paint along the rails is rubbing off. Mine came with the truck but I'd never buy another one. They're hard to clean, fuck up paint and slippery as shit when you get snow on them.

agreed on all of these, but he needs to pull it just to know if there's any severe rust underneath

my truck came with a rubber mat in the bed that just fit the bed, works so much fucking better than those damn bed inserts

however, they are good to pull down a dirt road behind a truck... fun stupid redneck shit there

Asa of the Infidel Crew