General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Bukkakeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renork View Post
This should be moved to the "I'm a paranoid fuck who thrives on being afraid" forum imo.

yep, thats about right.

this is the internet... and someone is WRONG on it

-Tongboy

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Bukkakeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by curdledvomit View Post
Though he stressed that there was still no evidence of the disease passing from person to person, other experts are also becoming alarmed.

OMG WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE

-Tongboy

MachinegunHead

So I caught a cold and then I saw a bird yesterday, am I gonna die?

Bukkakeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinegunHead View Post
So I caught a cold and then I saw a bird yesterday, am I gonna die?

Yes, but not until you have infected your continent and then boarded a plane headed for another continent (thus infecting them too).

-Tongboy

curdledvomit

New strain of swine flu conntains parts from human, bird and swine flu

this from... http://www.woai.com/content/health/s...nr_AWZw1A.cspx

Swine flu outbreak forces local school to close for all of next week

SAN ANTONIO - State health officials announced on Saturday another possible case of swine flu in the Schertz-Cibolo area.

There have already been two recent confirmed cases out of
SteeleHigh School in Cibolo. Now, with the possibility of a third case - the school, in the Schertz-Cibolo-UniversalCity school district, is temporarily closed. For the next week, the school will get a good spring cleaning.

TAKS testing will now have to be rescheduled and all extra-curricular activities are cancelled. The Texas Department of State Health Services is urging students not to get together during the week and asking all Guadalupe residents to avoid large gatherings. The school will be closed for at least one week.

00110001 00110011 01101011 and damn proud of it!

Squid posted..."curdledvomit is the first +10k guy i actually care about"

acc6d08c13aa2f2586ec5bf7b70854c3

curdledvomit

this from... http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/27/world/27flu.html?hp

Worldwide, Nations Rush to Keep Swine Flu Contained

HONG KONG — Officials around the world on Sunday raced to contain an outbreak of swine flu as potential new cases were reported from New Zealand to Hong Kong to Spain, raising concerns about the potential for a global pandemic.
Skip to next paragraph Related

Mexico Takes Powers to Isolate Cases of Swine Flu (April 26, 2009)

Worrying About Every Cough at a Queens School (April 26, 2009)

Students Fall Ill in New York, and Swine Flu Is Likely Cause (April 26, 2009)

Dot Earth: Contagion on a Small Planet (April 26, 2009)

Governments issued travel advisories urging people not to travel to Mexico, the apparent origin of the outbreak, where 81 people have died and some 1,300 have been infected. China, Russia and others set up quarantines for anyone possibly infected. Some countries banned pork imports from Mexico, even though there is no link between food products and the flu, and others were screening air travelers for signs of the disease.
In the United States, Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano and top health officials were due to speak at a news conference Sunday afternoon to address what the government was doing to control the spread of the disease. Eight students from New York City are likely to have contracted swine flu, and there have been 11 confirmed cases in California, Kansas and Texas.
No deaths from swine flu have been reported in the United States.
On Sunday, the government of Hong Kong announced some of the toughest measures yet of any jurisdiction in response to a swine flu outbreak in Mexico and the United States.
Officials urged residents not to travel to Mexico and ordered the immediate detention at a hospital of anyone who arrives with a fever and symptoms of a respiratory illness after traveling in the previous seven days through a city with a laboratory-confirmed outbreak.
New York is not yet on the list of cities with outbreaks because the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta is still testing samples from the eight students from Queens.
The new policy, shaped by Hong Kong’s lasting scars as an epicenter of a SARS outbreak six years ago, has the potential to dampen air travel across the Pacific. Hong Kong has Asia’s busiest airport hub for international air travel, with Boeing 747s arriving around the clock from cities all over the United States and Canada, but not Mexico.
Ever since the 2003 outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome, Hong Kong has used infrared scanners to measure the facial temperature of all arrivals at its airport and border crossings with mainland China. Visitors are required to remove any hats to ensure accurate measurement, and children are checked with ear thermometers because the scanners are less reliable in measuring their faces.
Dr. Thomas Tsang, the controller of the Hong Kong government’s Center for Health Protection, said at a press conference on Sunday afternoon that any traveler who has passed through a city with laboratory-confirmed cases and who arrives in Hong Kong with a fever and respiratory symptoms will be intercepted by officials and sent to a hospital to await testing.
“Until that test is negative, we won’t allow him out,” he said.
An aide later said that the cut-off for having a fever would be 38 degrees Celsius, or 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit, and that it would take two or three days to obtain test results.
Dr. York Chow, Hong Kong’s secretary for health and food, asked residents to watch the news for reports of which states in the United States have outbreaks and discouraged travel to these states, but reserved his strongest warning for travel to Mexico.
“Do not travel to Mexico unless it is absolutely necessary,” he said.
The Hong Kong government will also amend its health regulations in the next couple days to make it mandatory for any health professional to alert the government of any suspected cases of swine flu, he said.
Hong Kong should “prepare for the worst” if the swine flu virus develops a clear ability to pass from person to person, Dr. Chow said, while adding that the risk from the virus was low if this did not happen.
One legacy of SARS is that Hong Kong may now be better prepared for a flu pandemic than practically anywhere else on the world. Fearing that SARS might recur each winter, the city embarked on a building program to enlarge its capacity to isolate and treat those infected with communicable respiratory diseases.
Hong Kong now has 1,400 beds for this purpose each equipped with mechanical ventilators for treating those with severe pneumonia or other respiratory difficulties. But only 80 to 100 of these beds are needed on any given day, so they have been used until now for patients with other medical problems, Dr. Chow said.
The city has also expanded its flu research labs, already among the best in the world and leaders in tracking the H5N1 avian flu influenza virus. The so-called bird flu virus, which kills an unusually high share of its victims, has periodically triggered fears over the past decade about a possible pandemic but is different from the H1N1 swine flu influenza virus now causing illnesses in Mexico and the United States.
Jack Healy contributed reporting from New York.

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

hahahahah beaten to the punch. motherfucker

curdledvomit

this from... http://www.egovmonitor.com/node/26360

China confirms Sscond human bird flu fatality since February

Source: The Government of China
Published Wednesday, 15 July, 2009 - 12:10 H5N1 bird flu claimed its second human fatality in China this month when the Ministry of Health confirmed the death of a Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region man on Thursday.

The 41-year-old surnamed Liang in Nanning City developed fever and headache symptoms on February 12 and died at 5 a.m. on February 20 after all rescue measures proved ineffectual.

Tests of the man were H5N1 positive, said China's Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

On February 18, the health ministry confirmed a 22-year-old man surnamed Li in the central Hunan Province had tested positive for H5N1. Li died on January 24.

Jack Fickleson

Some widespread health crisis this turned out to be. I haven't heard word one about this in 2 months. All the while some white pedophile dies and that is 24/7 news.

EDIT: China is reporting... the SECOND death. Since motherfucking February. Not that the Communist oppressive Chinese government is fairly honest, but this idiotic virus has killed less people than lightning strikes.

curdledvomit

I usually dont post in this thread except for links to substance but wow...the UK is getting hit hard by the swine flu...what do yall think about this upcoming flu season here in the USA?
I think it will be bad. Now the gov is suggesting that all people between the ages of 6 months and 18 years old get a flu shot. Thats pretty big news in my book.
Foreshadowing?
do we have 24 hours?
mutating viri?

IMHO this swine flu virus is going to kill a lot of people this flu season
God help us all.

curdledvomit

I think I will add swine flu/ H1N1 articles...seems to be the right thing to do.

This from... http://www.reuters.com/article/GCA-S...56N3PQ20090724

First defense against swine flu - seasonal vaccine

Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:28pm EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. health officials strengthened their recommendations for seasonal flu vaccines on Friday, saying all children aged 6 months to 18 years should be immunized -- especially because of the H1N1 flu pandemic.
The seasonal vaccine provides little or no protection against H1N1 swine flu, but immunization will help prevent people from being infected with both at once and can help minimize the effects of the pandemic on schools, workplaces and the economy in general, health experts say.
"Vaccination against seasonal influenza should begin as soon as vaccine is available and continue throughout the influenza season," Dr. Anne Schuchat of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention told reporters in a telephone briefing.
"At this point, 83 percent of the population is recommended to get an annual flu vaccine," she said. "Unfortunately, only about 40 percent of the U.S. population received the flu vaccine last year."
Last year the CDC "encouraged" all children to be vaccinated. Now it "recommends" this -- advice that does not have the force of law but that can affect what states and insurers do.
On Thursday U.S. Food and Drug Administration officials said they would work with companies and the National Institutes of Health to quickly test experimental H1N1 vaccines, with the aim of getting a vaccination plan underway as soon as possible.
Schuchat said H1N1 was still circulating.
"We are continuing to see transmission here in the United States in places like summer camps, some military academies and similar settings where people from different parts of the country come together," she said.
"I think this is very unusual to have this much transmission of influenza during the (summer) and I think it's a testament to how susceptible people are to this virus."
TIP OF THE ICEBERG
The CDC said 43,771 cases of H1N1 influenza had been officially confirmed, with 302 deaths.
"But ... that's really just the tip of the iceberg," Schuchat said. "We believe there have been well over 1 million cases of the new H1N1 virus so far in the United States."
She said the CDC would no longer report cases and was working on better ways to estimate how many people had been infected.
The pandemic spread globally in less than two months and has infected people in 160 countries, killing 800 people, the World Health Organization said. The WHO numbers do not include the latest CDC count.
Schuchat said there is no indication the virus is any worse in one country than another. "There are differences in reporting. In some places, we're hearing about only the severe cases. In other places, we're hearing about illness that's in the community," she said.
She declined to call the pandemic "mild" and noted that people had died and many others had spent weeks in hospitals, sometimes on ventilators.
She said the CDC was also watching for more cases of seizures. The agency reported on Thursday on four children who suffered seizures from H1N1 infection but who recovered.
Schuchat advised against summer camps offering the antiviral drug oseltamivir -- Roche AG and Gilead Sciences Inc's Tamiflu -- to prevent infection among children.
"At this point we're strongly recommending them for treatment rather than for prevention," she said.
To prevent flu, the drugs should be reserved for people at high risk of complications who have been in close contact with a known case, she said.

curdledvomit

this from... http://www.reuters.com/article/healt...rpc=22&sp=true

WHO says pandemic gaining speed, sees winter risks

GENEVA (Reuters) - The H1N1 flu virus is starting to infect older people, and pregnant women and the obese are at highest risk, the World Health Organization said on Friday.
In a statement, the United Nations agency said school-age children remain most affected by the newly discovered virus that has been spreading fast in schools and is gaining momentum in broad communities alongside seasonal flu.
"It remains a top priority to determine which groups of people are at highest risk of serious disease so steps to best protect them can be taken," it said, estimating that vaccine manufacturers should have H1N1 shots ready soon.
"Manufacturers are expected to have vaccines for use around September. A number of companies are working on the pandemic vaccine production and have different timelines," the statement on the WHO website read.
About 800 people have died from the new virus whose fast international transmission caused the WHO to declare in June that a flu pandemic is under way. But for most patients, H1N1 is causing mild and manageable symptoms.
"For the moment we haven't seen any changes in the behavior of the virus," WHO spokesman Gregory Hartl said earlier on Friday, while warning the virus could change as it circulates, especially in flu-conducive wintry conditions.
"We do have to be aware that there could be changes and we have to be prepared for those," he told a Geneva news briefing.
VACCINE SUPPLIES
At least 50 governments have placed orders or are currently negotiating with pharmaceutical companies to secure supplies of H1N1 vaccines, which are still being developed.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is helping companies design ways to quickly test experimental versions of pandemic shots, and the European Medicines Agency is aiming to approve H1N1 vaccines before the onset of northern hemisphere winter, the traditional "flu season" in Europe.
The WHO is trying to ensure that health workers in poor countries can be vaccinated so hospitals can stay open if the flu becomes more debilitating as it spreads. Sanofi-Aventis and GlaxoSmithKline have promised to donate 150 million doses to this aim to date.
Other leading flu vaccine makers include Novartis, Baxter, and Solvay.
Clinical trials of H1N1 shots "will give a better idea of the number of doses required for a person to be immunized, as well as the quantity of active principle (antigen) needed in each vaccine dose," the WHO said.
Estimates of the global supply of vaccines will be based on how many jabs are needed to protect each person.
The H1N1 virus, first discovered in Mexico and the United States, is a never-before-seen combination of swine, bird and human flu strains, and initially infected mainly young people.
Concerns about the way it was spreading, and about deaths reported among healthy people in North America, caused the WHO to declare that a flu pandemic is under way. Some 160 countries have now reported infections.
Last week, the WHO described H1N1 as the fastest-moving pandemic ever seen. On Friday, it said infections were "still increasing substantially in many countries, even in countries that have already been affected for some time."
(Additional reporting by Madeline Chambers in Berlin and Michael Kahn in London; editing by Robin Pomeroy)

curdledvomit

this from... http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6727062.ece

July 25, 2009
Swine flu screening at UK airports amid fear that NHS could be overwhelmed

NHS intensive care services could be overwhelmed by a huge rise in swine flu cases, researchers have warned, as Britain’s port authorities started screening incoming passengers for the first time.
Demand for critical care beds could outstrip the numbers available by 130 per cent, especially in units designed to treat children, according to a study in the journal Anaesthesia.
The warning came as 160 British citizens were held in quarantine in China, Singapore, India and Egypt because of swine flu fears. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office said that there were likely to be others being held over suspicions that they had the H1N1 virus.
It also emerged that:

• health workers and immigration officials at Heathrow and other port authorities have been told to look out for passengers with possible signs of swine flu infection;
• Sharon Pentleton, a 26-year-old pregnant woman from Scotland, was “gravely ill” after suffering a rare and severe infection. She was flown to Sweden for emergency treatment;
• Sainsbury’s opted out of distributing antiviral medication as part of the national service over fears that it might encourage swine flu victims into its stores.
A £2.4 million advertising campaign will begin today to advertise the National Pandemic Flu Service, the swine flu hotline and diagnostic website. It cost £2.5 million to set up.
The number of flu infections doubled in Britain last week as an estimated 100,000 people became infected.
The intensive care study found that hospitals on the South East coast, in the South West, East of England and East Midlands are likely to become “quickly exhausted” if cases continue rising in winter as is predicted.
The World Health Organisation said that 160 countries were now affected by swine flu. It predicted that there could be two billion cases globally during the pandemic.

curdledvomit

this from... http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/N...ow/4820371.cms

In 2 years, 2 billion will get swine flu: WHO

NEW DELHI: Two billion — that's the number of people that the World Health Organisation (WHO) has estimated will get infected with the deadly
H1N1 influenza virus in the next two years. Earlier pandemics have infected one-third of the world's population. But this virus is especially dangerous.

Why? Because it is brand new, one nobody has seen before. And this means that everyone on this planet is immunologically vulnerable. The threat is clear from the way the virus has spread till now. Over 160 countries have already confirmed over 130,000 cases, with the virus spreading as much in less than six weeks as past pandemic flu viruses spread in more than six months.

WHO has already designated this as the "planet's fastest-moving pandemic". In most countries, those mostly infected belong to the age group of 12 to 17 years. However, persons requiring hospitalization and patients with fatal illness have been found to be slightly older. Almost 800 people have died from it in the past four months — more than what the H5N1 bird flu strain has killed in six years.

India is now worried and says it's just a matter of time before the country starts to see large scale community clusters of the virus.

According to Randeep Guleria, professor of medicine at AIIMS, who has also helped prepare India's treatment protocol, weather conditions like the end of monsoon and the winter months will be perfect for the H1N1 virus to thrive. "The current strain of H1N1 has high transmissibility rate which the H5N1 bird flu virus did not. Overcrowding in India will see the H1N1 virus spread very fast in the community in the post-monsoon months. And since it is a new virus, there is no herd immunity against it," Dr Guleria said.

An internal government estimate says that 3-5 million people will be required to be vaccinated soon after the full-fledged pandemic hits India.

"This would include health workers, police, customs and emergency relief workers — those who will work towards containing the pandemic. Then will be the high risk groups — the aged and those with underlying health conditions like diabetes, obesity and cardio-vascular disease," a health ministry official said. Globally, experts have reported five isolated cases of the H1N1 virus showing resistance to Tamiflu, the anti-viral of choice. But no changes to the virus' behaviour have been detected for now.

"But how it could potentially change and whether it mutates to become worse over the coming weeks is still unknown," WHO's spokesperson Gregory Hartl said.

Health officials in India are trying to determine which groups are most likely to get severely ill so measures to best protect them can be taken. A crucial meeting is scheduled next week to finalise the priority list. Drug makers in India have also started working on a vaccine to fight the scourge.

The Drug Controller General has given licence to three vaccine manufacturers to import WHO released seed strains for producing the H1N1 vaccine. "Serum Institute, Panacea and Bharat Biotech are the three companies working in India to make a vaccine against H1N1," NICD director Dr Shiv Lal said. WHO is, meanwhile, supporting three other companies in three countries — India, Thailand and Indonesia — to make an H1N1 vaccine.

curdledvomit

this from... http://edition.cnn.com/2009/US/07/28...ary.swine.flu/

Military planning for possible H1N1 outbreak

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The U.S. military wants to establish regional teams of military personnel to assist civilian authorities in the event of a significant outbreak of the H1N1 virus this fall, according to Defense Department officials.
The proposal is awaiting final approval from Defense Secretary Robert Gates.
The officials would not be identified because the proposal from U.S. Northern Command's Gen. Victor Renuart has not been approved by the secretary.
The plan calls for military task forces to work in conjunction with the Federal Emergency Management Agency. There is no final decision on how the military effort would be manned, but one source said it would likely include personnel from all branches of the military.
Don't Miss

It has yet to be determined how many troops would be needed and whether they would come from the active duty or the National Guard and Reserve forces.
Civilian authorities would lead any relief efforts in the event of a major outbreak, the official said. The military, as they would for a natural disaster or other significant emergency situation, could provide support and fulfill any tasks that civilian authorities could not, such as air transport or testing of large numbers of viral samples from infected patients.
As a first step, Gates is being asked to sign a so-called "execution order" that would authorize the military to begin to conduct the detailed planning to execute the proposed plan.
Orders to deploy actual forces would be reviewed later, depending on how much of a health threat the flu poses this fall, the officials said.