General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

In a utopian world where the guy who empties the trash bins is just as important as a Fortune 500 CEO (and paid accordingly)....who would choose the pressure cooker of being the CEO if you could just mindlessly put in your 40 hours a week and go home with the same money?

I'm not saying that all CEO salaries are justified when the average worker is barely making a living wage, but the truth is that good CEO's are hard to come by (and sought after) and the job isn't nearly as cushy as everyone seems to believe. If a company fails under their watch (regardless who's fault it is) and they get canned....they are unlikely to get another comparable position, and are likely to be near retirement age anyway.

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
Someone (I can't recall who) once said that if all the excess wealth in America were to be distributed evenly...within 10 years most of the once rich would be wealthy again, and the majority of once poor would be back where they started. I think there is a lot of truth in that..

certainly

g|aSsJaw
NEW YORK GIANTS SUPERBOWL CHAMPS, ELI MANNING SUPERBOWL 42 MVP

A good CEO deserves fair compensation. I think what pisses most people off is the fact that a lot of these guys run the company they work for right into the ground and still walk away with millions of dollars.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
In a utopian world where the guy who empties the trash bins is just as important as a Fortune 500 CEO (and paid accordingly)....who would choose the pressure cooker of being the CEO if you could just mindlessly put in your 40 hours a week and go home with the same money?

I'm not saying that all CEO salaries are justified when the average worker is barely making a living wage, but the truth is that good CEO's are hard to come by (and sought after) and the job isn't nearly as cushy as everyone seems to believe. If a company fails under their watch (regardless who's fault it is) and they get canned....they are unlikely to get another comparable position, and are likely to be near retirement age anyway.

I don't think in a utopian world a CEO would earn as much as a trash collector, as the people he presumably employs and their lives outweight the benefit of trash removal; but a Paramedic WOULD get paid more than minimum wage.

These people save lives. Today's CEO gives you cheap chinese crap that has lead in it.

Quote:
Someone (I can't recall who) once said that if all the excess wealth in America were to be distributed evenly...within 10 years most of the once rich would be wealthy again, and the majority of once poor would be back where they started. I think there is a lot of truth in that..

This is probably true in a lot of cases like the lottery winners someone mentioned, or football players who got cut after a season.

An amusing train of thought, but it doesn't justify taking advantage of the masses and hoping to get by with it forever.

IcW@teR
Ice Cool

aren't the mega rich corporations more of a problem than the mega rich individuals?

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by g|aSsJaw View Post
A good CEO deserves fair compensation. I think what pisses most people off is the fact that a lot of these guys run the company they work for right into the ground and still walk away with millions of dollars.

Exactly, and lose everyone's retirement like Enron, or the fact that they edge their profits from Obsene into Ridiculous by shipping out more and more jobs.

Making big money is fine, just don't get even greedier at the cost of your surroundings The profit motive is flawed in that sense and it's where regulation comes in. That's the whole point of even having a government. Otherwise they are just a bunch of overpaid fucks who get further overpaid with bribes, gifts and donations to maintain a certain tilt on the playing field.

Does the constitution say "whoever lobbies with the most money gets to indirectly set rules and earn even more money"? I don't think so.

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

>average moron in amerika has access to ipad, iphone, 200 dollar sneakers, and doesn't go a day with missing a visit to mcdonalds
>serfdom

LOL NOPE

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by gribly View Post
I agree [H]ard|On, and you just described Steve Jobs in a nutshell- which many don't even realize.

...the very same who had ipads constructed via slave labor in china and didn't pass on the savings to the consumer?

the very same...

g|aSsJaw

If only compensation was performance based, and not a set salary that rewards a CEO even if he/she fails miserably.

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
>average moron in amerika has access to ipad, iphone, 200 dollar sneakers, and doesn't go a day with missing a visit to mcdonalds
>serfdom

LOL NOPE

>implying cellphone = American Dream

It's kind of sad that you trivialize people's needs with Nikes and Apple products, you know better than that. Your iPhone can show you a fake bottle pouring, but it can't keep you warm. It won't keep you fed either. For a lot of people it's a work necesity anyway not some sort of personal luxury. If you do the math between the number of iPhones and iPads sold and the number of people living in the united states you may change your idea of what average is. Also I don't have $200 sneakers. Maybe you do since you're so baller.

People are worried about having a house, having money to feed themselves and their kids, for education... God forbid take a vacation some day.

A portrait of america - poor, but we got gadgets (Designed in Taiwan and made in China)

[H]ard|On

Quote:
...the very same who had ipads constructed via slave labor in china and didn't pass on the savings to the consumer?

the very same...

I don't think he was idolizing Jobs. i thought the same thing - so who gives a fuck if he invented the mouse, someone else would have invented it if he didn't. Then he shoved a cellphone into an iPod after other smart phones existed for years. The human race is saved...

I don't think Apple deserves the credit they are getting lately. Not anymore than Exxon or Shell or something. Except we need oil a whole lot more than a jumbo iPod with wireless internet.

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
>implying cellphone = American Dream

It's kind of sad that you trivialize people's needs with Nikes and Apple products, you know better than that. Your iPhone can show you a fake bottle pouring, but it can't keep you warm. It won't keep you fed either. For a lot of people it's a work necesity anyway not some sort of personal luxury. If you do the math between the number of iPhones and iPads sold and the number of people living in the united states you may change your idea of what average is.

People are worried about having a house, having money for their kids, for education...

A portrait of america - poor, but we got gadgets (Designed in Taiwan and made in China)

even if you're dirt poor in america you by default enjoy one of the highest standards of living on the entire planet, here use this for some perspective instead of smoking weed and spouting half baked populist with no substance all the fucking time:

http://www.givingwhatwecan.org/resou...ch-you-are.php

http://www.globalrichlist.com/

even if you make $30k a year you still have access to a shit load of very low interest rates to buy a house and have even better access to credit cards and all kinds of loans, it's not chaim kikeberg's fault at goldman sachs that you ran up a 100k CC debt buying stupid shit while he made a ridiculous bonus

g|aSsJaw

Quote:
even if you're dirt poor in america you by default enjoy one of the highest standards of living on the entire planet, here use this for some perspective instead of smoking weed and spouting half baked populist with no substance all the fucking time:

http://www.givingwhatwecan.org/resou...ch-you-are.php

even if you make $30k a year you still have access to a shit load of very low interest rates to buy a house and have even better access to credit cards and all kinds of loans, it's not chaim kikeberg's fault at goldman sachs that you ran up a 100k CC debt buying stupid shit while he made a ridiculous bonus

So we should pay the price for the problems they have caused, but they shouldn't?

I'm looking up the first executive I can find at Goldman Sachs and sending him my credit card bill and demanding it be paid immediately. I think I have $400 charged on it, so I expect it to be paid in full.

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by g|aSsJaw View Post
So we should pay the price for the problems they have caused, but they shouldn't?

I'm looking up the first executive I can find at Goldman Sachs and sending him my credit card bill and demanding it be paid immediately. I think I have $400 charged on it, so I expect it to be paid in full.

wow...don't know much history do you?

much of the poverty in many countries is a direct result of overt or covert financial imperialism by the united states and western europe...if you think domestic variable interest rate loans are bad you should really look into reading a book about the IMF and the world bank, here let me point in the direction of a good one so you can stop being so retarded:

http://www.amazon.com/Who-Owes-Quest.../dp/1842774271

g|aSsJaw

Quote:
wow...don't know much history do you?

much of the poverty in many countries is a direct result of overt or covert financial imperialism by the united states and western europe...if you think variable interest rate loans are bad you should really look into reading a book about the IMF and the world bank, here let me point in the direction of a good one so you can stop being so retarded:

http://www.amazon.com/Who-Owes-Quest.../dp/1842774271

I was being facetious