General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post
the striker going down presents zero threat though. Thats only a danger if the percussive cape is there, and more specifically the detonator.

A percussive cap has about the bang of a couple bag of snaps (those little firecrackers). Just enough to light a fuse. Then the fuse goes to the detonator, which has a big enough bang to take a finger off. Which then detonates the core RDX which will blow you right the fuck up.

It doesnt matter one bit that it doesnt present a threat. I wasn't arguing that it poses a threat. The average school teacher would not know that. You seem to be of the "kids will be kids" and "no harm no foul" ideology. That doesn't exist anymore because sometimes, kids want to kill other kids.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

soooo... anyone wanna address my post earlier? anything wrong with that?

Asa of the Infidel Crew

Vendetta

Which post?

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
soooo... anyone wanna address my post earlier? anything wrong with that?

I assume you mean this?

Quote:
here's what i don't get, why not confiscate the thing, put it in your desk, then call Mr Jenkins; who the kids laugh at because he twitches as a result of being in the Army and doing a tour or two over in Afghanistan
if Mr Jenkins starts twitching uncontrollably, call the bomb squad

if someone can determine it's not a threat, why not take care of it then?

Well, you have to look at it from an administrative point of view. Teacher confiscates it and that's it. Other kids tell their parents. Parents become instantly concerned because they never saw what happened (before any letter to parents could be formalized) Shitstorm all the way up to district administration occurs because no one wants a lawsuit over a misunderstanding and obvious overreaction. Kid gets suspended anyways as an attempt to assuade the masses.

asa

oh were i running the school, the kid would be suspended anyways (i think the school i went to K-12 is now a zero tolerance and one of the best students had a carpet knife from his job, they expelled him)
i'm just saying there was no real need to call the bomb squad as someone at that school would have had the experience to recognize what it was

Asa of the Infidel Crew

Coqui

Quote:
oh were i running the school, the kid would be suspended anyways (i think the school i went to K-12 is now a zero tolerance and one of the best students had a carpet knife from his job, they expelled him)
i'm just saying there was no real need to call the bomb squad as someone at that school would have had the experience to recognize what it was

Since when is military or arms knowledge a requirement to run a school?

asa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
Since when is military or arms knowledge a requirement to run a school?

who the fuck said it was?

what i was saying was that in every school i've spent any time in, at least half a dozen teachers or administrators are veterans

Asa of the Infidel Crew

Coqui

Quote:
who the fuck said it was?

You did.

Quote:

This implies every school has it.

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

this more comes down to a locality issue.

hicks in southern alabama bring rifles to school all the time and nobody thinks anything of it.

that shit wouldn't fly in new york though.

so i think it should be evaluated on a case by case basis, law and regulations that make perfect sense in nyc will never apply to alabama and vice versa.

aren't states rights a beautiful thing?

BUT NO WE NEED AN ALL ENCOMPASSING SUPER STRONG FEDERAL GUBMENT WITH UNIVERSAL LAWS

asa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
You did.

the fuck i did, quit putting words in my mouth

Asa of the Infidel Crew

Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
this more comes down to a locality issue.

hicks in southern alabama bring rifles to school all the time and nobody thinks anything of it.

that shit wouldn't fly in new york though.

so i think it should be evaluated on a case by case basis, law and regulations that make perfect sense in nyc will never apply to alabama and vice versa.

aren't states rights a beautiful thing?

BUT NO WE NEED AN ALL ENCOMPASSING SUPER STRONG FEDERAL GUBMENT WITH UNIVERSAL LAWS

Ummm, states have complete control over the rules and regulations that govern their schools. USED policies come into play only when regulating financial assistance programs or enforcing civil rights laws. Surprise surprise, all states have realized that violence is an issue and have similar policies.

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
Surprise surprise, all states have realized that violence is an issue and have similar policies.

have they really? rates of violent crime in say, wyoming or alaska are hardly comparable to say new york, even after adjusted on a per capita basis.

Vendetta

Quote:
have they really? rates of violent crime in say, wyoming or alaska are hardly comparable to say new york, even after adjusted on a per capita basis.

And that assumes that a parents' perception of the danger of crime in schools is only reflective of the amount of crime. If state or district-level policymakers, or the constituents they represent, did not consider school violence a large issue, the policies themselves would likely not exist. However, you did completely gloss over the fact that it's not federal oversight that requires these policies. Wrong again!

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
And that assumes that a parents' perception of the danger of crime in schools is only reflective of the amount of crime.

the same level of fear and paranoia regarding explosives and weapons in general is not present in the more depopulated, rural regions of the united states. of course in this case it is better safe than sorry, but it is still a huge over reaction imho. i personally don't think it would have killed the teacher to personally inspect the object in question and perhaps try to ask the student what its all about before hysterically calling dah amberlamps and the bomb squad. anyone who is planning on using a grenade in a public school won't exactly leave it out in the open like that. lack of common sense led to a huge waste of resources and could fuck this kid's life up permanently.

if they really wanted to remove any doubt in a reasonable manner the teacher or the principle could have drove out to the precinct to get into contact with the bomb squad and have them comb it over instead of making a huge fiasco about it like this.

Vendetta

Quote:

if they really wanted to remove any doubt in a reasonable manner the teacher or the principle could have drove out to the precinct to get into contact with the bomb squad and have them comb it over instead of making a huge fiasco about it like this.

what?