General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatlord
You people involved in fleet warfare, what's the time committment? How much do you spend online, and what's typical of other members of your corp?

It seems like that's about the only way to go for me, and I don't really want to "invest" in a game again where I end up having to play eight hours a day just to have a good time.
Same.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

partyvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randuin
where's the bug? also oh god blue is ugly

I have navigation twice?

Also blue is old school style! and alot easier on the eyes.

Xcobita

Quote:
You people involved in fleet warfare, what's the time committment? How much do you spend online, and what's typical of other members of your corp?

It seems like that's about the only way to go for me, and I don't really want to "invest" in a game again where I end up having to play eight hours a day just to have a good time.

Depends on the corp / alliance. ISSN, entirely okay with you having a life outside of eve. Still though, PVP is 3 hours of bordom followed by 45 seconds of terror and fun. Granted we arent talking about the scale of the goons, but still, if its a major fleet op (which doesnt happen every day) you can be online a really long time.

OmegaAquinas

Hey, we're always recruiting. Not really PvP since we're an industrial corp, but we do have a military side of things if you want to develop your skills in that direction.

http://www.hadean.org if you want to check us out.

Proxenos of Torpedoes

What do you guys usually outfit an industrial with? Right now I'm running with 2 warp stabilizers, an inertia stabilizer, a medium shield booster, and 2 medium shield extenders. Does that seem like a good loadout?

Would it be better to have 3 warp stabilizers instead of the inertia thing? I heard that the inertia stabilizer will help me get into warp faster, but if I can't warp at all there's realy no point. How many warp stabilizers are needed, generally?

Last edited by Proxenos of Torpedoes; 08-22-2006 at 08:50 AM..

Kenshin

Quote:

I have several years of experience in fleet warfare (as a commander more often than not) and I can say without reservation: don't.

Just don't. The time commitment required is huge, and the return is generally rather small. There's a very good reason I've moved on to low-sec pirating. Rather than spending 10 minutes fighting for every 5 hours of waiting, I'm generally able to find and engage targets within minutes of logging on. The time invested/excitement returned is a far better ratio.

Low-sec NBSI (not-blue-shoot-it) PvP is very, very fun. Just be aware that your sec status will drop quickly and it's a good idea to have a hauling alt or friend that can bring you ships and equipment.

Anyways, if you're looking for a good corp... join my friends (and soon, me, I'm in a different corp at the moment). http://www.righteous-indignation.com/ We've got industry people and pvpers... and a bunch that do both. NBSI rules, we allow piracy/ransoming, and we're planning to integrate industry and PvP soon by taking out local/rival POSes that are sitting on desirable moons so we can put our own up in their place. It's fun stuff.

Kenshin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxenos of Torpedoes
What do you guys usually outfit an industrial with? Right now I'm running with 2 warp stabilizers, an inertia stabilizer, a medium shield booster, and 2 medium shield extenders. Does that seem like a good loadout?

Would it be better to have 3 warp stabilizers instead of the inertia thing? I heard that the inertia stabilizer will help me get into warp faster, but if I can't warp at all there's realy no point. How many warp stabilizers are needed, generally?
Depends on where you're flying through. Thing is, an industrial is a nice juicy target for people like me. Here's the thing: if you're in low-sec around gate guns, little fast ships with strength 2 scramblers can't tackle you for fear of the gate guns. Bigger ships that can take the gate guns will generally have the 20km, strength 1 scrambler.

The problem is, if they do get a lock on you, there's a good chance they can simply blow you up before you get into warp--especially if they are a sniper setup.

So, as some friendly advice, I would recommend putting on 1 warp core stab and then using nanofibers (the structure mods). The inertial things are ok, but the nanofibers also reduce your ship's mass as well as increasing agility, so they are better.

'Coruse there's always the chance that you'll come out at a gate where two people are able to lock you and get 20km scramblers on you, but more then likely only one will be in range.

One other tip: if you ever are ransomed, pay it if it's reasonable. Your pride is not worth your cargo/modules. If the ransom is way too much, try to negotiate or don't pay, but if it's the right price, pay up. Some of my friends ransomed a Scorpion two days ago for 40mil and he refused to pay. They blew him up and podded him and found 170mil worth of Overseer's Effects in his cargo along with a few other nice modules--the guy had been farming a deadspace complex for the past week, apparently without docking.

Don't be that guy.

Last edited by Kenshin; 08-22-2006 at 09:38 AM..

Heavens Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshin
I have several years of experience in fleet warfare (as a commander more often than not) and I can say without reservation: don't.

Just don't. The time commitment required is huge, and the return is generally rather small. There's a very good reason I've moved on to low-sec pirating. Rather than spending 10 minutes fighting for every 5 hours of waiting, I'm generally able to find and engage targets within minutes of logging on. The time invested/excitement returned is a far better ratio.

Low-sec NBSI (not-blue-shoot-it) PvP is very, very fun. Just be aware that your sec status will drop quickly and it's a good idea to have a hauling alt or friend that can bring you ships and equipment.

Anyways, if you're looking for a good corp... join my friends (and soon, me, I'm in a different corp at the moment). http://www.righteous-indignation.com/ We've got industry people and pvpers... and a bunch that do both. NBSI rules, we allow piracy/ransoming, and we're planning to integrate industry and PvP soon by taking out local/rival POSes that are sitting on desirable moons so we can put our own up in their place. It's fun stuff.

Don't just go the low-sec route, hit 0.0 alliances. I lead the Beagles on raids into northern space 3-4 times a week and it's a lot of fun. We had a great fight with FLA (video) last week. 0.0 raiding is the way to go; all the fun of 0.0 combat with no blobbing and no safespotting.

Kiss me, I'm Irish!

Kenshin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavens Cloud
Don't just go the low-sec route, hit 0.0 alliances. I lead the Beagles on raids into northern space 3-4 times a week and it's a lot of fun. We had a great fight with FLA (video) last week. 0.0 raiding is the way to go; all the fun of 0.0 combat with no blobbing and no safespotting.
Yeah, you can do that as well. I've just gotten so sick of 0.0 over the years I needed a change of scenery.

Proxenos of Torpedoes

Quote:
as some friendly advice, I would recommend putting on 1 warp core stab and then using nanofibers (the structure mods). The inertial things are ok, but the nanofibers also reduce your ship's mass as well as increasing agility, so they are better.

I was under the impression that nanofibers actually increase your time to warp since you warp at a percentage of your max speed. Is that not true?

Kenshin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxenos of Torpedoes
I was under the impression that nanofibers actually increase your time to warp since you warp at a percentage of your max speed. Is that not true?
No, because they reduce your ship's mass and increase agility as well. The ship's mass is what affects your acceleration to max speed because your ship has X amount of thrust. All I can say is it works--it's what most people use. When I want to be able to go through a few high-sec systems (I have a -7.8 sec status) I slap some nanos on my Taranis and I don't even need instas.

Another major effect they will have is how quickly you turn, which if I'm not mistaken is also based both on your agility and ship's mass. Turning and aligning is often the longest part of getting into warp, not accelerating. One of the biggest mistakes people make when they warp in to a gate and I'm sitting there is they try to turn around and warp out. If instead they warped to another object closer to where they were pointed, they would most likely warp out before I could get a lock, but instead I'm able to lock and get close enough to warp scramble before they are able to turn around and warp out.

Munky73770

Quote:

One other tip: if you ever are ransomed, pay it if it's reasonable. Your pride is not worth your cargo/modules. If the ransom is way too much, try to negotiate or don't pay, but if it's the right price, pay up. Some of my friends ransomed a Scorpion two days ago for 40mil and he refused to pay. They blew him up and podded him and found 170mil worth of Overseer's Effects in his cargo along with a few other nice modules--the guy had been farming a deadspace complex for the past week, apparently without docking.

Don't be that guy.

Heh, I only ransom players that are older than 1 year. The newer ones get auto-podded. I give them 20 seconds to pay up, if they dont, they get canned.

This goes to any wanna be pirates in the near future... When you are ransoming somebody, make sure you have your scanner up, and keep scanning 360 degrees at the max distance...incase the little fucker is calling in backup. If you see something you cant handle, pod him and GTFO.

And of course its better to fly with friends. Last time I went out, it was me and three other guys. I was in a Hawk, and the other three dudes were in : harpy, pilgrim, and a taranis.

Basically, the pilgrim finds the target on scanner, warps in cloaked (he provides a warp in point as close to the target as possible)...he tells us over comms which target is primary(if there is more than one, there usually is in low sec). We all warp in and do our thing.

Kenshin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky73770
Heh, I only ransom players that are older than 1 year. The newer ones get auto-podded. I give them 20 seconds to pay up, if they dont, they get canned.

This goes to any wanna be pirates in the near future... When you are ransoming somebody, make sure you have your scanner up, and keep scanning 360 degrees at the max distance...incase the little fucker is calling in backup. If you see something you cant handle, pod him and GTFO.

And of course its better to fly with friends. Last time I went out, it was me and three other guys. I was in a Hawk, and the other three dudes were in : harpy, pilgrim, and a taranis.

Basically, the pilgrim finds the target on scanner, warps in cloaked (he provides a warp in point as close to the target as possible)...he tells us over comms which target is primary(if there is more than one, there usually is in low sec). We all warp in and do our thing.
Yep. Always be aware of who else is in the system you're in. Whenever I enter a system I start running my scanners and I check out all the characters in system. If I'm going to attack someone that has a corpmate in system, I make sure I know what the corpmate is in and where they are.

I'll generally ransom people at least a few months old if they are in a cruiser or BC. I usually don't bother ransoming the pod if they are younger than ~9 months though.

Very rarely will I ransom at a gate though, it can be too difficult under sentry fire and if they stall enough they can force you to warp out. Much easier to pop them and pick up the loot.

We use an Arazu usually for the same stuff (most of us fly Gallente).

-espionage-

fleet combat would be awesome if it were possible to enjoy it. i guess it depends ont he nubmers. when goons go into fleet combat, we have at least 100 people on our side, usualy up against the same numbers. the largest fleet weve ever fielded that ive seen was over 300. therse no fucking way that 300 ships can engage anything without make the server shit bricks, and thats not even inlcuding whatever we were going to be up against.

i havent been playing a lot recently, ive been getting my skills up to par to go help some friends up north raiding the D2 vassal corps, as that will be much more rewarding than waiting for everbody to get to the rendevous, then waiting for the enemy fleet to engage, and then waiting two minutes too ACKTIVATE SCHIELDBUSTAR

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienge.
only 35k SP in? Hell I STARTED with 250k sp (one of my char's skills started at lvl 5).

anyway I also kept away from this game because I didn't like the sound of no free flight but boy am I hooked now.

oh wow, thats kinda crazy. Sounds like I should probably remake.