General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?
 
joemama's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukkakeboy View Post
yeh, good point. It seems like its all I hear: "blablabla goddamn guvment getting more power"
I dunno why you have this fear.

also, im not disputing your statement, but do you have proof that there is less medical innovation?

and nigga please, outright denial of care is the U.S's specialty.
Here you WILL get treated if its anything like a hindrance.
In America we are more comfortable with private individuals and corporations having enough power to tell the government what to do..not the other way around. Washington already has power over a large part of the banking industry with their "bailouts" and possibly soon the auto industry...taking over healthcare as well would be a huge shift in power. We are well aware there are medical breakthroughs that happen in countries with socialized medicine...but you have to ask yourself if those same researchers would have the motivation to continue if there weren't countries like the US to sell to for a huge profit? Honestly, the only thing that would work here is having some kind of balance between private and socialized healthcare...finding the right balance is the tricky part though.
__________________
Rapid-fire double bass of the GenMay dru[M]mers collective

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v
Old 03-17-2009, 06:56 AM joemama is offline  
Reply With Quote
#121  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

NeoPotency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Dedger View Post
Why take the chance? Even if you're making $6 an hour working 20 hours a week and the premium is $100 a month (it tends to be lower than this) you can easily pay for it and still have plenty of money left over. If choose to opt out don't complain about not having health insurance to cover your broken leg.

I paid the insurance through college myself and it worked out fine for me.

Unfortunately my school has this policy:

The policy cost is $292 for three months with an option to purchase major/medical for an additional $225.

It starts to become difficult to pay this on top of everything else. But like you said why take the chance, it's just unfortunate it costs so much for those that have a hard time getting the funds. Ofcourse, when I graduate I can more than afford it, and I wouldn't mind paying a bit more to help those in college that are trying to better themselves.
__________________
"There's only one thing harder than getting a dog in a bathtub ... and that's putting your cock and balls into your own asshole." -evildre
Old 03-17-2009, 10:07 AM NeoPotency is offline  
Reply With Quote
#122  

Zangmonkey
3y3 4m t3h Gr4et gr4nD m0th4rfUxing mor4n! W4t<h //\y b33f kur+4nz F|4p!!# 4y4m 1e37!
 
Zangmonkey's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilliam54 View Post
On a personal note, I can't express how fun it is to be a college student who had to work all last month with an untreated broken foot. Thank god it healed decently.
I can't help but to think how much more productive I would have been if I had a cast.



I don't beleive you.


If you went to a hospital and they set your broken bones, they would not send you away without a cast.
It's not like the cast is breaking the bank for them.
They are vulnerable to malpractice if they treat you poorly then if they don't treat you at all.
__________________
09 F9
Old 03-17-2009, 10:24 AM Zangmonkey is offline  
Reply With Quote
#123  

Fuckyouformakingmeregister
wall candy eating retard
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
We are well aware there are medical breakthroughs that happen in countries with socialized medicine...but you have to ask yourself if those same researchers would have the motivation to continue if there weren't countries like the US to sell to for a huge profit? Honestly, the only thing that would work here is having some kind of balance between private and socialized healthcare...finding the right balance is the tricky part though.

Explain precisely how the market for medicine will collapse (or change or whatever) if the US adopts a system where the only government invovlement in healthcare would be paying the bill.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:26 AM Fuckyouformakingmeregister is offline  
Reply With Quote
#124  

skinnymickey
 
let me actually own property and ill pay for who-evers health care out of my salary.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:28 PM skinnymickey is offline  
Reply With Quote
#125  

Bukkakeboy
 
Bukkakeboy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
In America we are more comfortable with private individuals and corporations having enough power to tell the government what to do..not the other way around. Washington already has power over a large part of the banking industry with their "bailouts" and possibly soon the auto industry...taking over healthcare as well would be a huge shift in power. We are well aware there are medical breakthroughs that happen in countries with socialized medicine...but you have to ask yourself if those same researchers would have the motivation to continue if there weren't countries like the US to sell to for a huge profit? Honestly, the only thing that would work here is having some kind of balance between private and socialized healthcare...finding the right balance is the tricky part though.

And the reason the government needs to bail out said industries is because you have let private individuals/corporations control the market to the extent of them basically being directly responsible (and allowed to do this by politicians) to the economic recession we are currently in.

So, if I get this straight. You trust the individuals/corps who cleared away government restrictions which enabled said individuals/corps to rape your economy, more then the government who now has to step in and bail said corporations out?

Look, im all for a balance but come on.
And yes, capitalism is a great drivingforce for innovation, but to say that medical innovations would lessen due to the US not paying as much as they now do for them is kind of a stretch.
Or do you have proof? (im sure morlock or some rightwing ass will snipe this psot while ignoring all the actual good questions earlier in the thread)
__________________
fuck IRL

this is the internet... and someone is WRONG on it

-Tongboy
Old 03-18-2009, 04:39 AM Bukkakeboy is offline  
Reply With Quote
#126  

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?
 
joemama's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukkakeboy View Post
And the reason the government needs to bail out said industries is because you have let private individuals/corporations control the market to the extent of them basically being directly responsible (and allowed to do this by politicians) to the economic recession we are currently in.

So, if I get this straight. You trust the individuals/corps who cleared away government restrictions which enabled said individuals/corps to rape your economy, more then the government who now has to step in and bail said corporations out?

Look, im all for a balance but come on.
And yes, capitalism is a great drivingforce for innovation, but to say that medical innovations would lessen due to the US not paying as much as they now do for them is kind of a stretch.
Or do you have proof? (im sure morlock or some rightwing ass will snipe this psot while ignoring all the actual good questions earlier in the thread)
It's not so much that we trust individuals and corporations...but we know that if they betray us there are always others that can get our business. On the other hand we only have one government.

Also, we have to ask ourselves why a British hollywood star that was injured (apparently very serious) in a ski accident in Canada would choose risking the travel to a hospital in New York instead of much closer (and free) Montreal? http://movies.msn.com/movies/article...7500&GT1=28101 If the level of care was the same or better than the US, then this wouldn't make any sense whatsoever..
__________________
Rapid-fire double bass of the GenMay dru[M]mers collective

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v
Old 03-18-2009, 09:07 AM joemama is offline  
Reply With Quote
#127  

Fuckyouformakingmeregister
wall candy eating retard
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
It's not so much that we trust individuals and corporations...but we know that if they betray us there are always others that can get our business. On the other hand we only have one government.

You can quote traditional L'aissez faire theory all you want. As any modern economic theorist knows, however, there are many things which can interfere with the competition mechanism - particularly when there are monopolies and/or barriers to entry.

Also, if the government "betrays us", there are always other parties "that can get our business". So your "point" fails on two levels.

Quote:
Also, we have to ask ourselves why a British hollywood star that was injured (apparently very serious) in a ski accident in Canada would choose risking the travel to a hospital in New York instead of much closer (and free) Montreal? http://movies.msn.com/movies/article...7500&GT1=28101
The second I read that story I knew someone would bring it up in this thread. Why do you think it would be free for her? And, as the BBC reports "The Manhattan hospital to which Richardson has been transferred is near the family home." So yeah...

Quote:
If the level of care was the same or better than the US, then this wouldn't make any sense whatsoever..
I don't think any proponents of UHC have argued that the US doesn't have some of the best doctors in the world. That's pretty much undeniable. Do you know why they stay in the US? And why do you think that would change under a two tier health care system?
Old 03-18-2009, 09:35 AM Fuckyouformakingmeregister is offline  
Reply With Quote
#128  

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?
 
joemama's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuckyouformakingmeregister View Post
You can quote traditional L'aissez faire theory all you want. As any modern economic theorist knows, however, there are many things which can interfere with the competition mechanism - particularly when there are monopolies and/or barriers to entry.

Also, if the government "betrays us", there are always other parties "that can get our business". So your "point" fails on two levels.



The second I read that story I knew someone would bring it up in this thread. Why do you think it would be free for her? And, as the BBC reports "The Manhattan hospital to which Richardson has been transferred is near the family home." So yeah...



I don't think any proponents of UHC have argued that the US doesn't have some of the best doctors in the world. That's pretty much undeniable. Do you know why they stay in the US? And why do you think that would change under a two tier health care system?
Only an idiot or insurance company exec would argue that the current US healthcare system is fine just the way it is...but I think we need to be very careful when thinking that European, Canadian, Cuban etc..model is the way to solve everything.
__________________
Rapid-fire double bass of the GenMay dru[M]mers collective

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v
Old 03-18-2009, 09:58 AM joemama is offline  
Reply With Quote
#129  

wickedragon
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
Only an idiot or insurance company exec would argue that the current US healthcare system is fine just the way it is...but I think we need to be very careful when thinking that European, Canadian, Cuban etc..model is the way to solve everything.

Why not just look for a system that works for all parts of society; rich, poor and middle class.

...

Welcome to the two-tier system.
__________________
"By four o'clock I've discounted suicide in favour of killing everyone else in the world instead"
-Ellis
Old 03-18-2009, 03:44 PM wickedragon is offline  
Reply With Quote
#130  

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?
 
joemama's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedragon View Post
Why not just look for a system that works for all parts of society; rich, poor and middle class.

...

Welcome to the two-tier system.
Explain how a two tier system works...and what countries are currently using such a system? The main problem in the US is the fact that healthcare insurance has become a huge industry with powerful influence in Washington. They know that profits will be much smaller once corporate subsidized healthcare is taken away and they won't go down without a fight. However if they are given the choice of making the changes necessary to make privatized healthcare more efficient and affordable to all Americans....or bow to all out socialized healthcare paid by taxes I think they would be more willing. Another problem we have is our litigation happy society, where even the most frivolous of lawsuits can be won with the right team of lawyers. A large chunk of the high cost of US healthcare comes from the outrageous malpractice insurance premiums that doctors and hospitals have to pay or risk bankrupting themselves. Before Insurance companies got involved, and Americans learned that our judicial system allowed lawsuits for just about any reason...doctors were paid for their services with cash and their charges were based on what people were willing to pay out of pocket.
__________________
Rapid-fire double bass of the GenMay dru[M]mers collective

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v
Old 03-18-2009, 06:59 PM joemama is offline  
Reply With Quote
#131  

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother
 
TheMorlock's Avatar
 
But the outrageous malpractice awards were a direct result of doctors who would not testify against other doctors no matter how badly they fucked up nor how many times. The lawyers and their clients went with big rewards to show how serious they were. Too bad that established such high awards as the norm. Thus the premiums went up. It still takes almost an act of god to get a doctors license yanked.

Now go look at how many people die in the hospital due to malpractice.
__________________
There is nothing to worry about. Legions of wise people with nothing but all of best interests at heart are ensuring our future of love and infinite bliss. Go watch TV :Bflaps
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=572323
Old 03-18-2009, 08:05 PM TheMorlock is offline  
Reply With Quote
#132  

Vannaroth
I AM VANNAROTH. FEEL THE WRATH OF VANNAROTH. Oh man, that so wasnt worth Б2.99 :mad:. Buy me a new t
 
Vannaroth's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
Because it gives the government "the right" to proscribe anything that is not prescribed. Smoking puts a heavy load on Public Health Brigade Services. Smoking is outlawed.

Just gonna point out that in Britain, thanks to tax on tobacco products, smokers actually put several times more into the NHS than they take out, plus they die sooner so are less of a burden in their old age. So.
__________________
▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▒▒▓
▓▒▒▓▓▓▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▓▒▒▓▓▒▒▓▒▒▓
▓▒▒▓▓▓▒▒▓▒▒▓▒▒▓▒▒▓▒▒▓▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▓
▓▒▒▓▓▓▒▒▓▒▒▓▒▒▓▒▒▓▒▒▓▒▒▓▓▒▒▓▒▒▓
▓▒▒▓▓▓▒▒▓▒▒▓▓▒▒▒▓▓▒▒▓▒▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓▓
▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▒▒▓▓▒▒▒▓▓▒▒▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▒▒▓
genmay dru[M]mer's collective. UK represent.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:04 PM Vannaroth is offline  
Reply With Quote
#133  

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother
 
TheMorlock's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannaroth View Post
Just gonna point out that in Britain, thanks to tax on tobacco products, smokers actually put several times more into the NHS than they take out, plus they die sooner so are less of a burden in their old age. So.

and when they eliminate smoking they will target then next moneymaker.

Your computer use falls into the RSI high risk pool. Electricty to your home will be double taxed to help defray your cost to society.
__________________
There is nothing to worry about. Legions of wise people with nothing but all of best interests at heart are ensuring our future of love and infinite bliss. Go watch TV :Bflaps
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=572323
Old 03-22-2009, 07:09 PM TheMorlock is offline  
Reply With Quote
#134  

Vannaroth
I AM VANNAROTH. FEEL THE WRATH OF VANNAROTH. Oh man, that so wasnt worth Б2.99 :mad:. Buy me a new t
 
Vannaroth's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
and when they eliminate smoking they will target then next moneymaker.

Your computer use falls into the RSI high risk pool. Electricty to your home will be double taxed to help defray your cost to society.

What are you even talking about? Maybe if you stopped dreaming up imaginary scenarios and got more of a firm grip on reality you wouldn't look like such a tool all the time.
__________________
▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▒▒▓
▓▒▒▓▓▓▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▓▒▒▓▓▒▒▓▒▒▓
▓▒▒▓▓▓▒▒▓▒▒▓▒▒▓▒▒▓▒▒▓▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▓
▓▒▒▓▓▓▒▒▓▒▒▓▒▒▓▒▒▓▒▒▓▒▒▓▓▒▒▓▒▒▓
▓▒▒▓▓▓▒▒▓▒▒▓▓▒▒▒▓▓▒▒▓▒▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓▓
▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▒▒▓▓▒▒▒▓▓▒▒▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▒▒▓
genmay dru[M]mer's collective. UK represent.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:40 PM Vannaroth is offline  
Reply With Quote
#135  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:05 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.