General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

ry_goody

obama passes tobacco bill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_...co_Control_Act

was passed June 22, 2009

I find the notion of getting rid of advertisement and making larger warnings completely ok.

The thing that really gets me is this:

Quote:
Bans the use of flavors in tobacco products (including cloves, cinnamon, candy and fruit flavors), with the initial exception of menthol cigarettes, the most popular cigarette flavor. The exemption was reportedly influenced by the Congressional Black Caucus and Philip Morris USA, which supported the bill.[3][4] The Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Committee provisioned under the bill is to submit a recommendation on menthol cigarettes to the United States Secretary of Health and Human Services no later than one year after its establishment.
Does this mean that all shisha and hookah products are done for as well?

There banning all flavored tobacco products because the notion there intended for children.

This sort of thinking scares me, that they ban unhealthy things because of the possibility that children may like them.

I mean, if this line of thought continues, there needs to be a ban on all flavored alcohol. All wine coolers, mike's hard lemonades, all bitch beer. Certainly the same logic follows that if all alcohol tasted like beer, gin, and vodka, some people would be steered away.

Then what about fast food? Should happy meals go? Putting toys and jungle gyms in mconalds? I mean, obesity fucks up more people than tobacco products.

This sets a very bad precedent.

You know I have to rant on about this whole anti-tobacco movement thats surfaced in recent years cause it annoys me quite a bit.

I feel that the primary things americans look for is reasons to believe they are better than other people. Your average american loves absolutely nothing more than the feeling they get when they believe there better than someone, when there more correct than someone. This is largely what influences most people to do what they do. To chase girls, to go to college, to buy fancy stuff, Americans live for the feeling of being better then someone else. They want nothing more than hard fact to believe that they are better than someone.

So when I see all these anti-tobacco people getting all uppity about tobacco products and talking down to smokers and feeling all righteous about it. I don't see a group of people that cares. I mean get real, like any single person supporting this bill gives a shit if someone on the other side of the country dies. No one really gives a shit if someone smokes, no one who passed that bill gives a shit if someone smokes, no self-righteous soccer mom really gives a shit if some man in her neighborhood smokes. So why all the fuss about how bad cigarettes are? Because it's an objective, scientific, fact, that lets some americans feel they are better than others. Thats it. Thats the only reason. Americans LOVE evidence that somehow PROVES they are more correct, they eat it up they live for it. Thats why so many people jump on this anti-tobacco bandwagon, they do not give a shit about smokers, they just love the feeling of being able to believe there better.

Last edited by ry_goody; 06-25-2009 at 08:31 PM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Giordano_Bruno

Damn that sucks, I use cherry and apple tobacco in my hookah.

Change! - For the wose of course.

ry_goody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giordano_Bruno View Post
Damn that sucks, I use cherry and apple tobacco in my hookah.

Change! - For the wose of course.

i dunno if it will effect shisha...

shisha has always been kind of under the radar on some regulations cause it's imported

but it might

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Why won't anyone ever think of the responsible adults?

Bukkakeboy

As long as your smoking doesn't bother me, smoke as much as you want.

Interesting though, is there any research that points to kids liking these flavors more then normal/adults?

this is the internet... and someone is WRONG on it

-Tongboy

ry_goody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukkakeboy View Post
As long as your smoking doesn't bother me, smoke as much as you want.

Interesting though, is there any research that points to kids liking these flavors more then normal/adults?

no.

it will be especially absurd if it effects shisha because they've been making shisha for hundreds of years and it's the common tobacco for any age group and has been for centuries

it seems to me if something is anti-tobacco, it always gets the extreme benefit of the doubt, even if it defies all logic, rationality and evidence

I mean for another example, I have run into countless people who explain to me that nicotines only effect is addiction, and the entire buzz from a cigarette is lack of oxygen to the brain. They perpet it as objective scientific fact. Honestly claiming that nicotine does not give you any buzz, any euphoric or relaxed feeling, the buzz is purely oxygen depravation. They teach this as fact in health and addiction classes. The thing that makes such an assertion utterly retarded and devoid of all logic and rationality is the fact that chewing tobacco buzzes you like a motherfucker. Just getting a good amount of juice from a fresh tobacco leaf on your head buzzes you like a motherfucker. I point this out to such people, and it seems to completely not phase them. It's like there brain is set up to automatically categorize anything anti-tobacco as undoubtedly correct, and anything slightly pro or neutral-tobacco as blatantly wrong. Seriously, it seems that if something is anti-tobacco, people just automatically believe it without any additional thought.

ry_goody

Another thing about this bill that is quite odd is this portion

Quote:
Calls for new rules to prevent sales except through direct, face-to-face exchanges between a retailer and a consumer.
This means internet sales of tobacco will no longer be allowed.

Even if it is just tobacco, the entire concept that they can ban sale of certain things on the internet is not a good thing to start.

möbiustrip

Quote:
with the initial exception of menthol cigarettes, the most popular cigarette flavor. The exemption was reportedly influenced by the Congressional Black Caucus
Well no one could have seen that coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
This means internet sales of tobacco will no longer be allowed.

Even if it is just tobacco, the entire concept that they can ban sale of certain things on the internet is not a good thing to start.
No, it's not. Apparently basic goddamn common sense and Congress are going to butt heads in the near future, and the internet is going to win.

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by möbiustrip View Post
Well no one could have seen that coming.
It's like people don't even try not to be stereotypes these days...

Jack Fickleson

People need to find reasons to bitch and moan.

"Wah, wah, they won't let us hurt ourselves! What next, outlaw barbed wire wrestling matches?"

I don't care to inhale your secondhand smoke. Be thankful this is just a ban. I'd have preferred they allow citizens to physically assault public smoke belchers, myself.

Or is this just another needless excuse for whites to scream "oppression!" from Obama? Live with it. You oppressed blacks for 300 years, then complain when they get even a LITTELE bit of power. Whites have been the cause of most of the world's problems, with Muslims secondary. But it's always "blacks and Jews!" that get the blame.

You had your chance with Ron Paul and you fucking blew it, like you blow your pet dogs. Millions of suppsoed supporters but only a few thousand voted for him. Guess that's what happens when you apeal to conspiracy tinfoil nuts, Stormfront members and others who are unwilling to leave their homes.

möbiustrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Fickleson View Post
I don't care to inhale your secondhand smoke. Be thankful this is just a ban. I'd have preferred they allow citizens to physically assault public smoke belchers, myself.
Likewise. I almost put a cigarette out in some jersey guido fuck's mouth once, but I didn't, and I've regretted it ever since.

Quote:
Or is this just another needless excuse for whites to scream "oppression!" from Obama? Live with it. You oppressed blacks for 300 years, then complain when they get even a LITTELE bit of power.
obvious coffea is obvious

Zangmonkey
3y3 4m t3h Gr4et gr4nD m0th4rfUxing mor4n! W4t<h //\y b33f kur+4nz F|4p!!# 4y4m 1e37!

Quote:

"Wah, wah, they won't let us hurt ourselves! What next, outlaw barbed wire wrestling matches?"

Or is this just another needless excuse for whites to scream "oppression!" from Obama? Live with it. You oppressed blacks for 300 years, then complain when they get even a LITTELE bit of power. Whites have been the cause of most of the world's problems, with Muslims secondary. But it's always "blacks and Jews!" that get the blame.

You had your chance with Ron Paul and you fucking blew it, like you blow your pet dogs. Millions of suppsoed supporters but only a few thousand voted for him. Guess that's what happens when you apeal to conspiracy tinfoil nuts, Stormfront members and others who are unwilling to leave their homes.

Did you ignore the obvious point on purpose or did you honestly overlook it?

Your post makes no sense in this context.

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:

4/10

You're getting better.

ry_goody

Quote:

I voted for Ron Paul

And it is not whites that fucked up everything. It was CHRISTIANS and CATHOLICS and other western religions. Yes said religions started in the center of the white lands. But the cause of the problem was not white, it was those religions.

And with that. The group that has been even more oppressed than Blacks is those with shamanic inclinations and shamanic spiritual beliefs. I mean, you can't get thrown in jail for being black, but you can get thrown in jail for partaking in a ritual involving sacred medicines such as peyote or mushrooms.

And the Christian inquisition has been suppressing shamanic inclinations for quite literally thousands of years. Ever since they kicked Eve out of the garden of eden for sampling the psychedellic fruit of knowledge. And it only got worse from there, the Christian inquisition used to fucking HUNT down and burn people with shamanic inclinations (salem witch trials). And it STLL continues today, the Christian inquisition continues to hunt down those with shamanic inclinations, all under the guise of 'war on drugs' . Millions are incarcerated every year, many of the subject to incredibly abusive conditions in the prisons.

Blacks have only undergone a small percentage of the atrocity that has been dished out to shamanic, paganistic and magickal peoples.

I mean, they even have aspects of shamanic belief and practice classified as neurological dieseases under the labels 'schizophrenia' and 'psychosis'. And there are laws in some states which allow the government to take into custody anyone demonstrating symptoms of such diseases, without their consent. You can get locked up and abused now simply by demonstrating a solid belief in shamanic practices.

You can't get locked up and abused for being black anymore. But you can for being a shaman.

And flavored tobacco doesn't hurt someone anymore than non-flavored tobacco

And besides all that, black people smoke tobacco too.

CommiePunk
my rectum bleeds everyday

Quote:

why do you hate white people? most of your posts that i read are blatantly racist against whites.