General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
ry_goody
 
ry_goody's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renork View Post
Ok, so if I asserted that time was really a gnome composed of nothing but minced onions turning an invisible gear system that connects everything would it be unreasonable to discount it simply because you can not prove that it is false and we do not currently know what time is?

Just because we have no current answer does not mean that the first thing someone shouts out is a reasonable prediction of what happens after death.

As Gib said, when we do not know, and have no evidence of ANYTHING happening, the only reasonable default position is that nothing happens. If, suddenly, evidence were uncovered that supported any old claims or even a new one then things might change, but until then it is unreasonable to assume something magical happens after you die even if you happen to find it comforting.

Well. A gnome that is made of onions is just some crazy thing outta left field with no relation to anything in reality...


the circle on the other hand.... well the circle is the very pattern which everything in existence follows. So given that everything in existence cycles, it would be perfectly rational to assume that... yes, absolutely fucking everything in existence cycles

In fact I think to make an exception on this cycling nature would be irrational.

I mean here you are presented with a world in which every single thing in it cycles. Then you think WELL HAY I WANT DEATH TO BE AN END SO THATS NOT GONNA CYCLE.

Well no I'm sorry. Thats not rational. Thats called, developing your philosophical assumptions for the convienence of easing your mind.

All the nonsense you deal with now is not gonna dissapear when you die.

Lets not be a flatlander here and assume that you can go far enough one direction and just fall out of existence.

rememeber it is round, the circle O

straight lines don't actually exist

life and death is not a straight line
Old 07-22-2009, 08:44 PM ry_goody is offline  
Reply With Quote
#46  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Abazaba
 
Abazaba's Avatar
 
I also think it would be foolish for anyone to argue the power of psychedelic drugs, because they have not been properly or thoroughly researched. You can reach some pretty amazing conclusions on mushrooms that people across the world seem to also come to, regardless of culture. Don't knock them til you try them.

Also, don't write a person off purely because they use drugs and you do not. If you have never smoked weed, dropped acid, or eaten mushrooms you obviously don't have the same perspective as someone who has.

Drugs can be used responsibly and without harm if done properly, I don't understand the stigma people have. I would never touch a processed drug, but natural drugs, sure. Some of you cite the negative effects that drugs have on your body as a reason to not use them. Do you really think you are going to escape the clutches of our filthy environment?

I work in as an analyst for an environmental testing lab. The shit I see in major water sources in metropolitan areas is astounding. Everything from PCBs, BNAs, PAHs, nonlyphenols, and even trace levels of pharmaceuticals I have seen from water in major cities, or soil less than 100m from major rivers. Chances are you will get cancer, so might as well quit fearing smoking a fucking bowl once or twice a week.

As for mushrooms, there is not yet a single shred of evidence to show there are any side effects besides the susceptibility to schizophrenia if you already had a susceptibility to it in the first place. Then again, we don't know shit about mushrooms because no one can fucking study them well.

In other words, get past the fucking drug use. I would trust a weed/shroom user over most people.

But fuck it, lets keep letting companies like phizer and merck keep pumping the market full of drugs that are thousands of times more damaging than the illegal ones. Wake the fuck up people.

WAKE THE FUCK UP.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:57 PM Abazaba is offline  
Reply With Quote
#47  

Abazaba
 
Abazaba's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renork View Post
Ok, so if I asserted that time was really a gnome composed of nothing but minced onions turning an invisible gear system that connects everything would it be unreasonable to discount it simply because you can not prove that it is false and we do not currently know what time is?

Just because we have no current answer does not mean that the first thing someone shouts out is a reasonable prediction of what happens after death.

As Gib said, when we do not know, and have no evidence of ANYTHING happening, the only reasonable default position is that nothing happens. If, suddenly, evidence were uncovered that supported any old claims or even a new one then things might change, but until then it is unreasonable to assume something magical happens after you die even if you happen to find it comforting.

You do realize that we don't know what time is right? Yet we can measure it a variety of ways down to a molecular level?

If humankind lasts another 300 years I wonder what they will be laughing their asses off about us believing.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:58 PM Abazaba is offline  
Reply With Quote
#48  

Renork
 
Renork's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abazaba View Post
You do realize that we don't know what time is right? Yet we can measure it a variety of ways down to a molecular level?
.

That is right, we do not know what it is. And as such, my claims of it really being a gnome made of onion pulling the strings that make things move is just as valid AND just as reasonable as all of the claims about what happens after death.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Abazaba View Post
If humankind lasts another 300 years I wonder what they will be laughing their asses off about us believing
.

A lot of us are already laughing.
__________________
.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:02 PM Renork is offline  
Reply With Quote
#49  

Abazaba
 
Abazaba's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renork View Post
That is right, we do not know what it is. And as such, my claims of it really being a gnome made of onion pulling the strings that make things move is just as valid AND just as reasonable as all of the claims about what happens after death.




A lot of us are already laughing.

What have I said that is laughable? I have not written a single irrational thought. Your discussion abilities need some serious work.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:04 PM Abazaba is offline  
Reply With Quote
#50  

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother
 
TheMorlock's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abazaba View Post
What have I said that is laughable? I have not written a single irrational thought. Your discussion abilities need some serious work.

I think Ry made a time machine and cloned himself in the past. Because if it were not for your UID I would swear you were him.


He constantly makes blatantly ridiculous statements and claims when called on them that His viewpoint is entirely rational and logical.

If you are what passes for a scientist these days well the world is in for a dismal future.

I guess we needed another complete fucking fruitcake in the pit. Maybe you and ry can trade pics of hexagons.
__________________
There is nothing to worry about. Legions of wise people with nothing but all of best interests at heart are ensuring our future of love and infinite bliss. Go watch TV :Bflaps
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=572323
Old 07-22-2009, 11:49 PM TheMorlock is offline  
Reply With Quote
#51  

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother
 
TheMorlock's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
you cant just lock threads for the fun of it

Are you sure about that?

Hey youse guys can you lock this thread for the fun of it? We need to check out ry's logic again.
__________________
There is nothing to worry about. Legions of wise people with nothing but all of best interests at heart are ensuring our future of love and infinite bliss. Go watch TV :Bflaps
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=572323
Old 07-23-2009, 12:20 AM TheMorlock is offline  
Reply With Quote
#52  

chuckybob
Mario raped Peach in her fuzzy spot while twisting and twirling his mustache sexylike
 
chuckybob's Avatar
 
wow ry, you get crazier and more long winded every day
Old 07-23-2009, 01:58 AM chuckybob is offline  
Reply With Quote
#53  

ry_goody
 
ry_goody's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckybob View Post
wow ry, you get crazier and more long winded every day

I do what I can
Old 07-23-2009, 03:19 AM ry_goody is offline  
Reply With Quote
#54  

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you
 
Vendetta's Avatar
 
Son of a freaking bitch you make every god damn post about drugs but you can't even spell it right, god fuck christ!
It's psychedelic
Psychedelic
PSYCHEDELIC
Old 07-23-2009, 05:03 AM Vendetta is offline  
Reply With Quote
#55  

Renork
 
Renork's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abazaba View Post
What have I said that is laughable? I have not written a single irrational thought. Your discussion abilities need some serious work.

This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abazaba View Post
He is right though. No one can say that they know what happens after death. Not one single person.

I'm a scientist by education and profession. I think it would be foolish for anyone to entirely discount the idea of some form of an afterlife or persistence at this point. Think back to the days before modern science. Humankind didn't know about things such as cells, atoms, or the universe. Now what if we are at a similar point only in modern science. What if there are all these other layers of discovery that we can't even fathom yet?



Your original post in the thread and your statement that, as a scientist, you are going to defend ry_goodys ridiculous claims about the afterlife simply because no one knows and at one point things we do know were unknown.

"What if there are all these other layers of discovery that we can't even fathom yet?"

This very well may be true, even if it is, it does not make rampant speculation about what those layers of discovery might entail accurate or rational predictions about what they might be.

Show me one thing that makes the predictions about the afterlife in this thread besides, "we don't know so it could be true", rational.
__________________
.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:07 AM Renork is offline  
Reply With Quote
#56  

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother
 
TheMorlock's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
Son of a freaking bitch you make every god damn post about drugs but you can't even spell it right, god fuck christ!
It's psychedelic
Psychedelic
PSYCHEDELIC

His mitochondria say you are wrong. And they were informed by directed evolution by, for and of his sub atomic particles.

They be 'manifestering' all over the place!!!
__________________
There is nothing to worry about. Legions of wise people with nothing but all of best interests at heart are ensuring our future of love and infinite bliss. Go watch TV :Bflaps
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=572323
Old 07-23-2009, 10:51 AM TheMorlock is offline  
Reply With Quote
#57  

Abazaba
 
Abazaba's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renork View Post
This.




Your original post in the thread and your statement that, as a scientist, you are going to defend ry_goodys ridiculous claims about the afterlife simply because no one knows and at one point things we do know were unknown.

"What if there are all these other layers of discovery that we can't even fathom yet?"

This very well may be true, even if it is, it does not make rampant speculation about what those layers of discovery might entail accurate or rational predictions about what they might be.

Show me one thing that makes the predictions about the afterlife in this thread besides, "we don't know so it could be true", rational.

Look, I am not saying that I agree with anything RY said past the statement that no one knows what happens when you die. I'm not saying that I believe there is, but I'm not going to say I know one way or another that death is the end. I do not believe in any form of religion that this planet has to offer other than science. Now up until about two years ago before I read Hawking's A Brief History of Time, I did not believe in the possibility of anything after death.

If the cutting edge minds in theoretical physics can believe that there are alternate dimensions and alternate paths in time, why can't I come to the conclusion that there is a possibility that if I die in my timeline, some other version of myself continues on in another?

Would you say that the big bang was the begging of everything? Because I sure as shit wonder wtf caused the big bang and why the fuck the whole universe exists. So why can't I apply that same outside thinking to other situations.

I don't pretend to know any answers to questions like these, I simply enjoy thinking about them outside the box. I have drawn no personal conclusions, nor am I likely to ever be able to.

Don't lump me in the irrational category simply because I agree with one statement RY made, that would be short sighted.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:00 PM Abazaba is offline  
Reply With Quote
#58  

ry_goody
 
ry_goody's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
His mitochondria say you are wrong. And they were informed by directed evolution by, for and of his sub atomic particles.

They be 'manifestering' all over the place!!!

well. your getting closer.

You know if you let your chain of thought flow a little more freely you might start to notice whats coming out is getting more accurate
Old 07-23-2009, 10:18 PM ry_goody is offline  
Reply With Quote
#59  

ry_goody
 
ry_goody's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abazaba View Post
Look, I am not saying that I agree with anything RY said past the statement that no one knows what happens when you die. I'm not saying that I believe there is, but I'm not going to say I know one way or another that death is the end. I do not believe in any form of religion that this planet has to offer other than science. Now up until about two years ago before I read Hawking's A Brief History of Time, I did not believe in the possibility of anything after death.

If the cutting edge minds in theoretical physics can believe that there are alternate dimensions and alternate paths in time, why can't I come to the conclusion that there is a possibility that if I die in my timeline, some other version of myself continues on in another?

Would you say that the big bang was the begging of everything? Because I sure as shit wonder wtf caused the big bang and why the fuck the whole universe exists. So why can't I apply that same outside thinking to other situations.

I don't pretend to know any answers to questions like these, I simply enjoy thinking about them outside the box. I have drawn no personal conclusions, nor am I likely to ever be able to.

Don't lump me in the irrational category simply because I agree with one statement RY made, that would be short sighted.

telling your typical scientific rational atheist that he might go on after death in some form is like telling a christian heaven doesn't exist

it will break down much of their assumptions about the nature of reality, meaning of life and might require some re-evaluation of things. Which they don't like, so they'll take the shortest path to aborth that thought. Thus, you lose any chance of a deep insightful, open-mind discussion of the subject.

I really don't make this connection between christians and scientific ratinal atheist to be facetious. Scientific rational atheists hold onto there ideological definitions just as hard as any bible goer.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:23 PM ry_goody is offline  
Reply With Quote
#60  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:59 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.