General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Roam

Found it: http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=824510&page=5

The OP pretty much worships the thing... I sense a change of opinion though after reading this thread

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

SKYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir tex View Post
Not really surprised at how this turned out, the technology isn't there yet. Fantastic idea though, and I'm 100% sure this will work in the future.
/edit: whoops, wrong dude

L33T_h4x0r_d00d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roam View Post

The OP pretty much worships the thing... I sense a change of opinion though after reading this thread

Did you see his "review" of the changes they made to the hardware for natal?

I really dont understand why people want to rent time on games. Something like gamefly where its one monthly fee regardless of usage is one thing but onlive's BM was written like a 1993 cellphone contract.

branno

This onLive thing seems like an awesome idea for demos or those free weekend things that steam does.
Fuck the wasting of time downloading a few gigs to just try some shit game out. Streaming it seems like it would help reach more potential buyers.

theNoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roam View Post

Very much so. Like I said, the technology itself is here today, and works as they claim. The problem lies with the end presentation. Being a life long gamer I've come to expect better than what OnLive is capable of today. Ultimately, minor latency and washed out video due to degradation left a stale taste in my mouth.

I am still very passionate about the technology behind OnLive because thats what I do for a living and its really the future of most everything we use today (at least on the back end). I think OnLive will work for casuals but is better suited and version 1 should be marketed heavily for mobile gaming.

Final Grade : B-

Casuals still aren't going to be interested in monthly fees. iPhone, iPad, and android phone games are the future. The most successful games in the world aren't crysis, they're bejeweled. They will fall off the face of the earth sooner or later, with nothing more than a few "online goes bankrupt" notes on tech news websites.

jonnydooluvsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by theNoid View Post
Very much so. Like I said, the technology itself is here today, and works as they claim. The problem lies with the end presentation. Being a life long gamer I've come to expect better than what OnLive is capable of today. Ultimately, minor latency and washed out video due to degradation left a stale taste in my mouth.

I am still very passionate about the technology behind OnLive because thats what I do for a living and its really the future of most everything we use today (at least on the back end). I think OnLive will work for casuals but is better suited and version 1 should be marketed heavily for mobile gaming.

Final Grade : B-

agreed. its very impressive considering everything. almost feels like back when Steam was just starting up.

Bill

I was actually impressed.

The only issue I have is (of course) video quality. I'm guessing its somewhere around 1280x960 resolution, compressed divx-ish quality, then scaled up when it gets to you.

I played some dirt2 (30 minute demo), even with the keyboard I could navigate fine on the dirt tracks and drift around corners. The graphics were.. lacking. It really did look like an oldschool divx rip scaled up obscenely beyond what was intended. FPS was between 15 and 40 I'd say, maybe 20 average.

What was really cool though was the GPU usage. Absolutely nothing. It would bounce between 0-5%. You really could play stuff on a laptop that you'd normally have absolutely no hope to otherwise, and with a smaller screen, the scaling would be less horrendous.

Also, the "spectator" thing is pretty sweet. You see a bunch of live streams actually going on, and click, and it seamlessly zooms in to exactly what you saw in the little preview window. No loading, no connecting, really not what I've come to expect with the internet these days. I guess thats onlive's "thing" though.

Here is a shot of some random guy playing Mafia II, blown up from whatever the native res is to my 1920x1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by asd

Like any divx quality stuff, it looks much worse as a still frame compared to watching it as a moving scene. Also, the framerate was much better spectating other people (30+) compared to playing myself (20 average maybe. Just eyeballing it, there is no FPS indicator.)

No DX11, but thats not really surprising. Also, it takes a credit card to sign up for a free year, and then they charge you $6/mo for the next year I generated a temporary number to sign up and then immediately canceled it. Guessing that requiring a credit card for a free year would scare off most of your "curious, just want to check it out" crowd, which is really dumb.

edit: "The OnLive Game Service currently runs at 720p (1280x720). "
Thats some pretty shitty 720p but as general bandwidth availability improves I'm sure they'll clean it up.

Last edited by Bill; 09-18-2010 at 10:38 AM..

Biospider

Not gonna lie, that looks like shit. The fact that it works at all is impressive as fuck, though.

Bill

Its playable, and it motion it looks better. But yeah, its not anywhere close to the same as running it on your end. On the flip side, you're not running it on your end, so basically no GPU requirements.

Also really shitty--there is no way to cancel your account/service from their web site. It says I've got no date for my next bill, but when I signed up it said monthly billing would kick in during 2011. The card I used expires next month anyway, but I sent them an email just to see what was up.

SlimDady

My guess is this will end up in hotel rooms or something and thats it.

Kahnza
Screw you guys, I'm going home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimDady View Post
My guess is this will end up in hotel rooms or something and thats it.

They could put it in waiting rooms as well.

crumbaker

The only way this will become the future is for companies that are too retarded to figure out it's cheaper to buy your own electronics in the long run. Especially with how cheap computer equipment is anymore. Plus a lot of them don't want sensitive information to be sent to a third party constantly.

For games it will require you to be connected to fiber to get reasonable performance I would imagine. I hope this fails and never becomes part of the future for many reasons.

Biospider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnza View Post
They could put it in waiting rooms as well.

Also, bathrooms.

Cads

i could see the tecnhology being used successfully for non-gaming purposes. Public transit maps or information kiosks where they are connected to a network and capable of displaying very detailed / graphics-intensive content, and there is no need to have any expensive "guts" except for the screen and touch capicators.

new tech is always developed for one purpose, and when that purpose turns out to be too challenging, the tech is applied to other things you wouldn't think of initially.