General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

uRizen

MAME cabinet project.

For the last few years I have been itching to build a MAME cabinet, unfortunately I really didn't have anywhere in the house to put one or the time to slap one together. I solved the first issue by giving up on a full size cabinet and started ripping apart a few things I had sitting in the garage to use as components.

Cabinet is going to be using a 19" Viewsonic flat tube monitor, a mini-ITX motherboard and 2ghz processor and the other components I had managed to scrounge up. I finished the planning stage yesterday and have begun to transfer the measurements to my materials (mostly 3/4" MDF.)

Testing to make sure everything still works.

Originally planned on go without a marquee to save even more space, needed somewhere to stash the guts. Monitor will remain stripped of its shroud to save on depth.

Gutted a decent set of 2.1 computer speakers, destroyed my ghetto 360 arcade stick for its buttons and controller board.

Threw together some plans in SketchUp and printed measurement sheets.

Plans are about half transferred, hoping to finish main cutting tonight, then might pop over to my uncle's wood shop to cut kirfs in the shell edges for some T-molding and route the 1/8" slots for the marquee and screen overlay plexi.

I have two color schemes that I like so far, going to have a nice backlit marquee printed up a bit later but I'm not sure if I'm going with any side art. Right now I'm stuck on which of the two schemes I like most, maybe you guys can help with some input.

Scheme A:

Scheme B:

Control panel isn't final yet, so far I'm thinking single stick with a curved six button layout. I'm leaving a spot for a couple of USB ports in the side so I can add trackballs and a second set of controls if necessary. If I have more space than I though I may add a second stick for Super Smash TV, Robotron, etc.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

isugoat

try to fit on a second set of buttons along with a second joystick. 5 months down the road you won't be playing this except for when people come over, so you'll want 2 player capability.

nypad2000

how long did this take you? My friend wants to build a 2 player mame cabinet too. BTW the final project looks cool, post when its done!

Pigs
this broccolis is sufficient

what game is that in the first pic?

3nk1du

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigs View Post
what game is that in the first pic?
Karnov

uRizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoat View Post
try to fit on a second set of buttons along with a second joystick. 5 months down the road you won't be playing this except for when people come over, so you'll want 2 player capability.

I'm using a 19" monitor which makes the inner width of the cabinet ~18 inches, no room for two sets of controls. I will have the ability to add a set of external controllers like my USB SNES controller, a second set of arcade controls, etc. When friends come over we usually just end up playing using my HTPC on a 42" LCD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nypad2000 View Post
how long did this take you? My friend wants to build a 2 player mame cabinet too. BTW the final project looks cool, post when its done!

Planning took a couple of days, all of the woodwork I finished today took about five hours, I have anohter hour or two of small tasks to finish and maybe two hours for the control panel shaping and layout drilling before I can assemble, test, disassemble and paint.

I'm done for today, here's what I managed to get done.

Transferring measurements to 2/4" MDF.

I didn't have anything capable of transporting 48x48 sheets of MDF so I had to settle for 24x48 and use dowels to connect the hang-over. These pieces will be connected to the control panel, monitor shelf and bottom section so I'm not worried about it.

Here's all the major pieces, 1/8" grooves for the screen plexi and the 1/4" slots for the marquee are marked and ready for routing. As soon as I get those groves cut I can attach the mounting strips for the monitor shelf and top piece (which will be removable for PC access,) then drop some components in to make sure everything fits. Oh yeah, gotta remember to mark 1/4" slots on the top section and speaker panel for the marquee plexi to slot into.

cokezeroholic

Scheme A with a sick graphic on the side yo!

Flames

How easy is it to use SketchUp and then go to printed templates?

uRizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames View Post
How easy is it to use SketchUp and then go to printed templates?

I haven't tried printing templates for anything, I usually just transfer measurements and go from there.

Wasn't able to get my hands on a router today so I went ahead and did some test fitting and took care of some small parts and mounting provisions. Everything fit together well, forgot to account for a bit of flaring on the CRT shroud so I had to remove a bit to make it fit. The screen is in there tight as hell now, there is a mere 1/32" of clearance for the back plate.

Moved PC components to the bottom after finding a better system sitting in my stack of crap in the basement (Athlon 64 3200, 3gb RAM, decent ATI card.) This works out better and makes upgrade much easier in the future.

Holes cut for little subwoofer and the PSU fan.

Control panel in rough form, I have to put an 1 1/2" curve on the front so I had to use dowels, glue and another piece of 3/4 MDF on the back to keep it together.

Have to go back to work tomorrow, hopefully I'll get the routing and minor stuff done Tuesday, then I can paint, assemble and start playing next weekend.

Pigs
this broccolis is sufficient

nice work dude, and fast too. I doubt we live close but if we did you could borrow my router. I sure as shit don't know what the fuck to do with it.

Bill

Scheme A for sure.

Lookin

gamblergonewild
pwned

awesome. how much

uRizen

Scheme A it is, everyone I have asked has gone that way so far. Ordering T-molding and some extra buttons tonight, major pieces are in my uncle's wood shop have the molding kirfs cut as I type. We did most of the routing last night but didn't have a 3/32" slot cutter.

I'm not a hardcore MAME guy so I'm still trying to figure out what kind of system buttons I want to include, I have checked a few existing cabinets and have found they vary quite a bit. I'm thinking of adding the following using recessed 1/2" buttons:

Front Panel (above joystick)

- volume up
- volume down
- MAME menu (normally tab key)
- turbo (disable frame limiter to speed up floppy loading games, etc.)

Top panel, above marquee

- maintenance (access game's maintenance and test menus)
- reset (resets game)

I thought about adding save states buttons but decided against it, I want this to be a little more genuine and wish to avoid the temptation to cheat.

uRizen

Finished the 3/32" t-molding slots this evening, went very well using my uncle's routing table and his expert hand.

This weekend should be very productive, down to assembly, surface prep and painting, then I can start running wires and placing components.

uRizen

Started assembly this afternoon, should be able to start painting tomorrow and running wires. Once that's complete I'll be mounting the computer components and wire the control panel.

Started attaching support bits.

A little bit later things started coming together.

Control panel rounded and edges straightened.

Control panel mounted!

Started filling holes.

Wood glue + water = awesome MDF sealer, it soaks right in and just needs light sanding before priming.