General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

_mike_

home safe / fire box

i need a fire and [ideally] water proof safe. security is not my concern, since i'm looking for something in a size that could be carried away.

sentry safes are all over the place, but the reviews are terrible; things like the lids falling off to the lids not opening. but they seem to be the predominant safe box maker and seller (paradox mind blow).

any advice? i'd like to get something < $50 if possible, < $100 definitely. big enough to hold 8.5 x 11 paper with average depth.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Out of curiosity. Have you considered digitizing the documents for which copies will suffice and storing those that need to be original in a safety deposit along with the digitized docs?

I keep paper copies of a lot of things, insurance papers, tax returns, receipts and other misc docs at home. The really important stuff I keep in a safety deposit. However, I wouldn't mind keeping my paper stuff at home in a box like you describe but I don't know why I dont take my own advice.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Sentry is fine but I strongly urge you to reconsider the carry-away box idea. Because then what is the point of the box? Someone can take it along, so it's not safe. If you have a fire all your stuff inside is done anyway - no safe is "fire proof" unless it's a room sized monster. All of them are "resistant" which means it takes a few mins to warm up past 450F inside. A house fire could have it up to 1200F within half an hour.

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps
My dick: more mass than the earth

nothing less than $100 is going to provide any real protection from fire.

_mike_

i thought about safe deposit at the bank. i remember going to that little room with my mom when i was a kid, but honestly i haven't known anyone that used one in 20 years. maybe my family is just poor . of course they're not free, and you're not entirely in control (i don't know what the laws on regarding the contents of a safe deposit being confiscated. this isn't a swiss bank, it's my local branch.)

honestly, i'm not worried about theft. i guess i should be, but who steals old tax papers and birth certificates when i have macbooks and playstations?

the sentry site claims some of their safes can withstand 1500 degrees for quite a while, during which paper will not incinerate. i'm skeptical too. so what's the ideal solution?

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by _mike_ View Post
i thought about safe deposit at the bank. i remember going to that little room with my mom when i was a kid, but honestly i haven't known anyone that used one in 20 years. maybe my family is just poor . of course they're not free, and you're not entirely in control (i don't know what the laws on regarding the contents of a safe deposit being confiscated. this isn't a swiss bank, it's my local branch.)

honestly, i'm not worried about theft. i guess i should be, but who steals old tax papers and birth certificates when i have macbooks and playstations?

the sentry site claims some of their safes can withstand 1500 degrees for quite a while, during which paper will not incinerate. i'm skeptical too. so what's the ideal solution?

"they" don't know it's old tax papers, they just see a lock box, so they grab it along with the playstations

From the don't want to lose it perspective you're better off just keeping it in a filing cabinet in a folder you can grab when you have to run out in case of a fire, or a tornado, or an earthquake, flood, or whatever you guys get in your neck of the woods.

_mike_

i could get a small safe that bolts to the floor for $150. but then in a disaster i'd have to trust it, since (even if i was able to get to it), i wouldn't be carrying it out either.

i also rent, so maybe drilling into the floor is less than ideal

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps

Quote:

why are you worried so much about old tax papers and birth certificates?

make digital copies of tax papers (even if you don't, getting dupes is pretty fucking easy)

birth certs are as easy as going to the courthouse and taking a $5 bill ..

putting those documents in a crappy small safe or box won't protect them as you wish, and WILL make them more likely to be stolen- even though they're basically worthless to anyone but you

Regarding safes- go big or go home. Small ones are worthless and will only make some nig-nog haul it away and realize later it's your birth certificate.

SamFarber

Quote:
but honestly i haven't known anyone that used one in 20 years.

Or maybe your peers have been college-aged and generally don't need a safe deposit box?

I didn't get one until I received a death threat and put incriminating evidence in there in case I met an untimely death.

SamFarber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloneyflaps View Post

Can I get yours? ID theft for everyone!

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamFarber View Post
Can I get yours? ID theft for everyone!

what good would that do you?

wouldn't be much good to you, since I have a password protected credit security freeze on new accounts

and you'd never be able to use it to get a driver license- as soon as that gets reported pretty much every state will have that in their system, and you show up trying to get a fraudulent ID... BAM you're probably going to have a trooper putting you in cuffs

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloneyflaps View Post

Yea but they don't prove anything either way so why bother.

SteVeNRoJje

Well I think birth certificates are as easy as going to the courthouse and taking a $5 bill .. putting those documents in a crappy small safe or box won't protect them as you wish, and "will" make them more likely to be stolen- even though they're basically worthless to anyone but you.