General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

AtomicFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone else View Post
the XJ is better, if simply for simplicity's sake.

As far as the reliability goes, they're pretty good. I know a guy who has one, almost exactly like that, who's a PI like me, and he puts a shit load of miles on it, and beats it hard, and it just asks for more.

As far as wheeling with a stock transfer case... Uh? only problem i've ever seen with the stock transfer cases is with my buddy's 1st gen GC - his chain popped off once, thats it. Shitty driver? the TC's arent all that different across platforms. maybe gears and diffs, but i cant see the TC being an issue

the 318's are shit, avoid at all costs.

Looks good - I'd be worried about the water damage though.

They're good solid trucks - If you intend to do any serious offroading, get a dedicated tranny cooler, otherwise just feed the beast gas and she'll go.

they don't have any serious problems. You may get some niggling issues, but it won't ever leave you stranded.

EDIT: now that i;ve looked at it again, that is the exact same one as my buddy's - though different transfer case and leather. those transfer cases arent as strong as the regular 4hi4lo2hi, but they aren't bad. see if you can talk em down though. 7k seems a little steep, 6k is more where i've been seeing em, but they may be a bit higher where you are (I'm Boston though, so our prices are a little steeper for 4X4's too)

Thanks for the honest words. The only real 4x4 it'll see is snow duty with a set of good snow tires in Colorado and some beach crawling in Galveston. I have no intentions of taking it "real offroading".

As much fun as it is taking ths STi in 4 foot deep snow like this:

I'd rather take the Jeep and not be worried about tearing off a bumper / damaging the delicate Subaru paint and other misc

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

KorruptioN

It might cost more, and you'll probably lose some power and/or towing capacity, but what about a 3rd or 4th-gen 4Runner?

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got

If you can come to terms with the fact that they are leaking breaky heaps of shit, then you'll be happy. They are otherwise very nice and capable vehicles with a lot of character, which is rare.

Our 87' Cherokee i6 was horribly unreliable, but it never left us stranded and it was always a blast to drive.

Quote:
...but they may be a bit higher where you are (I'm Boston though, so our prices are a little steeper for 4X4's too)

Because "...all of Boston drives that same black fucking truck"?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Not many cars have a song written 'about' them...

Last edited by DopefishLives; 08-08-2011 at 04:26 PM..

someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopefishLives View Post
If you can come to terms with the fact that they are leaking breaky heaps of shit, then you'll be happy. They are otherwise very nice and capable vehicles with a lot of character, which is rare.

Our 87' Cherokee i6 was horribly unreliable, but it never left us stranded and it was always a blast to drive.

Because "...all of boston drives that same black fucking truck"?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Not many cars have a song written 'about' them...

they arent all leaky breaky heaps of shit.

just because you owned a 25 year old jeep that does does not speak volumes for the rest of em.

i know a ton of jeep guys, the newer, the better, so long as it has the i6 - anything else and its almost your own damn fault.

also - i like that song. never really got into the dresden dolls. but, as per your quote, thats one of the reasons i got the jeep - gotta stay inconspicuous.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Shooting:
Nikon D300, Rolleiflex 2.8F, Nikon F100, Olympus OM-1, Pentax 645

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by why_ask_why View Post
the jeep 4l i6 is a great engine. do you need 4wd in a dd? that's going to cost you some serious mpg

it's an okay engine, it just shines in contrast to chrysler's other engines is more like it.

good torque, reliable. smooth.

Anyway those things ride like a damn boat and he's getting the automatic

someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
it's an okay engine, it just shines in contrast to chrysler's other engines is more like it.

good torque, reliable. smooth.

Anyway those things ride like a damn boat and he's getting the automatic

no, it is a good to great engine.

of course it doesnt hold a candle to the almighty bmw i6, but its a pretty good one.

they GC's are softer than the Cherokee's (which isn't saying much, leaf springs, stick axles front and back) but they aren't boat like in the least. I've owned a couple boats (Park Ave Century and Regal GS, in that order of boatiness) and the GC is less boaty, but still more comfy than its XJ/TJ brethren
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Shooting:

[H]ard|On

Quote:
no, it is a good to great engine.

of course it doesnt hold a candle to the almighty bmw i6, but its a pretty good one.

they GC's are softer than the Cherokee's (which isn't saying much, leaf springs, stick axles front and back) but they aren't boat like in the least. I've owned a couple boats (Park Ave Century and Regal GS, in that order of boatiness) and the GC is less boaty, but still more comfy than its XJ/TJ brethren

I just helped a friend get his 99 (iirc) cherokee going, he got it for $1000 and the thing is totally clean with 90k miles. Some random electrics were broke like clock and wiper settings, that's about it.

I did hate the ride though, it sort of wallows around from place to place. New shocks should help, he hasn't got enough money for that right now.

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got

Quote:
they arent all leaky breaky heaps of shit.

just because you owned a 25 year old jeep that does does not speak volumes for the rest of em.

i know a ton of jeep guys, the newer, the better, so long as it has the i6 - anything else and its almost your own damn fault.

also - i like that song. never really got into the dresden dolls. but, as per your quote, thats one of the reasons i got the jeep - gotta stay inconspicuous.

You act like I am speaking horribly bad about them. You've got it all wrong, I adore Jeeps and would happily own a fleet of them, they are just true to their nature and that is the source of their loveable character.

someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopefishLives View Post
You act like I am speaking horribly bad about them. You've got it all wrong, I adore Jeeps and would happily own a fleet of them, they are just true to their nature and that is the source of their loveable character.

oh i know, we've had this conversation on irc. Some people just might take it the wrong way, plus, you're still talking about old hunks ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
I just helped a friend get his 99 (iirc) cherokee going, he got it for $1000 and the thing is totally clean with 90k miles. Some random electrics were broke like clock and wiper settings, that's about it.

I did hate the ride though, it sort of wallows around from place to place. New shocks should help, he hasn't got enough money for that right now.

dont forget the horizontal shock on the steering rack, that will make it feel like shit when its driving down the road too (god help me if i could actually remember the name of the part
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Shooting:

[H]ard|On

Ahh steering damper? afaik... good call

JPF_

That looks clean as a bitch.

Friend had one, but he did all sorts of work to it himself and not knowing much......kinda jacked it up so it blew a head gasket.....costing 1100 dollars out of pocket....

Was a solid feeling suv though! That price, even the miles, isnt that great, i would say offer 5k cash in hand......change out the fluids and ride out!

DopefishLives

Quote:
oh i know, we've had this conversation on irc. Some people just might take it the wrong way, plus, you're still talking about old hunks ;-)

dont forget the horizontal shock on the steering rack, that will make it feel like shit when its driving down the road too (god help me if i could actually remember the name of the part

Steering stabilizer? When the front ends are freshly built they feel great for a truck and track nicely, sadly they age poorly. Rebuilding them is fairly easy and many of the weak spots have been improved by aftermarket vendors.

The WJ's got a nice injection of Diamler engineering, gaining a lot of refinement along the way in regards to road manners. The ZJ/XJ are much more enjoyable for off-roading, but I don't think anyone would be disappointed in any of them for mixed or on-road only duties.

gribly

Quote:
As far as wheeling with a stock transfer case... Uh? only problem i've ever seen with the stock transfer cases is with my buddy's 1st gen GC - his chain popped off once, thats it. Shitty driver? the TC's arent all that different across platforms. maybe gears and diffs, but i cant see the TC being an issue

Yeah, Jeep uses several different transfer cases, most of 'em are junk for actual wheeling. I'm taking about rock climbing, mudding, hillclimbs - stuff where you are using wide-open throttle to get over obstacles and breaking parts just to get through a trail. ANY transfer case that is not a straight up 2wd, 4wd, 4wd low case that does not allow any slip whatsoever when in 4wd is useless for more than a couple hard wheeling trips. Even the ones in many Wranglers are terrible. Mind you, this is first hand experience, I used to own a Wrangler, and I burnt up a transfer case with a box-stock 2.5L 4 banger, and some nice tires. Damn thing had a clutch in it.

SamFarber

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcW@teR View Post
i have like a 94ish jeep and i've never been in a car of worse build quality, i will never ever willingly purchase one, eveeeerrrrr!!!!!!!!

I had a '92 for 12 years and it was like-new when I sold it. Excellent car. Soon after '92 they were clearly not as good but I assumed that started in '95ish or so.

SamFarber

Quote:
Originally Posted by why_ask_why View Post
the jeep 4l i6 is a great engine. do you need 4wd in a dd? that's going to cost you some serious mpg

I could have sworn for the WJ's they went to some V-6 for their smaller engine which was a great disappointment. The 4.0 I6 in my '92 was great.