General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Darth Febreze

Need advice on a subwoofer/amp

I'm replacing the entire stereo system in my camaro. My old head unit died and I replaced it with a new head unit. I then found out the bose crap isn't compatible with most aftermarket stuff, including head units and other speakers.

So with the new head unit, all the speakers (except the sub) would stop working. Then the sub would stop working and one of the speakers would start working. Rinse and repeat.

Anyway for the head unit and FRONT speakers this is the stuff I have for now (Alpine IDA X303 head unit, JL audio C2650 component speakers):

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500IDAX...a+x303&tp=5684

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_136C265...Brand|JL+Audio

Probably not the best choices (don't flame me), but it sounds pretty good for 2 speakers and no subwoofer so far. I do need new speakers for the sail panels yet, BUT more importantly I need a sub and an amp. What should I get? Are mono amps 5 channel amps better?
1995 Camaro Z28 6 speed. 383 baby blower cam, cold air induction, pacesetter longtube headers, over the axle true duals with x-pipe and borla xr1s, Dana S60 rear with truetrac and 4.10s, madz28.com tune, crane 1.6 roller rockers.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

d114

The bose system generally comprises of an amplifier module and a specially tuned speaker module. If you crack open the speaker module and ran wires straight from there to your head unit you can get sound on all four speakers again. It's the cheapest route.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

I have that discless alpine, it's quite handy - got the USB cord in my govebox and i use everything from friends' iPhones to my own thumbdrives in there. Good choice imo.

The components look good too - do the fronts, forget the rears exist. Like d114 says you CAN make the bose speakers work, but you have to bypass the factory amp - and then make sure they are compatible with your HU. If the Bose speakers are 2 ohm (probably not) then you'll have problems.

MeXPuNk3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
I have that discless alpine, it's quite handy - got the USB cord in my govebox and i use everything from friends' iPhones to my own thumbdrives in there. Good choice imo.

The components look good too - do the fronts, forget the rears exist. Like d114 says you CAN make the bose speakers work, but you have to bypass the factory amp - and then make sure they are compatible with your HU. If the Bose speakers are 2 ohm (probably not) then you'll have problems.

I replaced a bose system in my car, they were 2 ohm, not sure if it's common.

gee
MY TITLE ISNT LONG ENOUGH

5 seconds on google:

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6825

Sounds like you can do it with a good wiring harness kit.