General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

illig

Car cover recommendations (for winter)?

Leaving my baby parked out in the street during last weekend's wannabe hurricane made me think about getting a car cover.

However, more than for rain/wind storm protection, I'd really like a cover for use in winter. Not having to dig/scrape/melt, etc. snow off my car would be a huge time saver.

So i looked around at covers, such as the Honda Element specific one from HandA: http://www.handa-accessories.com/ elementext.html ...and a few cheaper Amazon/Ebay examples.

All seem to say that use in freezing temps is not advised as a wet cover will freeze and may damage paint. Is this true or just a standard disclaimer? Does anyone use a car cover in winter? Anything specific to look out for? Waterproof vs. Breathable?

Now, I live in NYC, not the arctic...so getting a cover off that has 1-2" of snow on it should not be a problem - and should be much faster than scraping every window, freeing the wipers, etc. out of frozen snow.

If it is more than a few inches, removing the top layer with a broom or something would be possible, and likely easier on the paint than doing so directly to a snow covered car.

The storage part is exactly what i'm asking about - a wet non-porous cover would likely stay wet, and ultimately get moldy (?)...a wet porous cover would likely freeze into a solid block(?), but who knows, there may be super materials out there :?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Colonel Sanders

Ultraweave custom-fit cover from California Car Covers.

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

I thought you live in Brooklyn?

In either case, dont get a car cover around here. It attracts to much unnecessary attention and it will get slashed. Its just a matter of time.

illig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
I thought you live in Brooklyn?

In either case, dont get a car cover around here. It attracts to much unnecessary attention and it will get slashed. Its just a matter of time.

I do. Don't tell me you only consider Manhattan to be NYC

But yeah, I wouldn't use it all the time, just during storms and snow fall. I think my area is nice enough that random vandalism doesn't happen very often.

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by illig View Post

But yeah, I wouldn't use it all the time, just during storms and snow fall. I think my area is nice enough that random vandalism doesn't happen very often.

Youre right.
I forgot where I am. I say NYC when speaking to non residents but when speaking to residents I expect the borough.

smartguy

buy a garage

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post
Ultraweave custom-fit cover from California Car Covers.

This is what i have and my ex used, and her dad had... Well i have a garage so i don't use it much but they are very durable and well made, won't hurt your car and easy to put on.

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illig View Post

He is, he's an elitist snob that thinks the world ends at the Hudson River...

And, : you just pay your protection "fees"

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

BlisterDick
boobie poo bear luv hugs

Lurker

Where will you stow the wet cover after you take it off? I dont know if its wise messing with a giant wet ball of cloth while wearing your work clothes. Plus once the snow melts it will get wet and be impossible to put back on the car. Sadly it will never dry either, at least if you put it in your trunk.

Last edited by Lurker; 09-01-2011 at 06:41 AM..

Why_Ask_Why
why_ask_why
I make Gen[M]ay notable

I recommend one that fits your car and is weather-proof

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Car covers are a waste of time. One really big wind, and it'll flay your paint right off. And (amazingly) Lurker is right: it'll never dry, even if it just gets rained on. Even down here in the land of blast furnaces, they only dry after awhile if the weather is dry; and the wind WILL turn it into a parachute.

Major pain in the ass for what little they do.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

Colonel Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
Car covers are a waste of time. One really big wind, and it'll flay your paint right off. And (amazingly) Lurker is right: it'll never dry, even if it just gets rained on. Even down here in the land of blast furnaces, they only dry after awhile if the weather is dry; and the wind WILL turn it into a parachute.

Major pain in the ass for what little they do.

Car covers CAN be a pain in the ass to use all the time, but a few points:

-a quality car cover like the California I mentioned will NOT "flay your paint" if there's a gust of wind at the same time ice is on the car. The cheaper ones have fibers that sort of glue to the paint if it gets icy, the nicer ones don't do that. I have been using a car cover on externally stored cars in harsh winters for YEARS so I know what I'm talking about.

-I had a Wolf car cover for a while (~$150) and it took a long time to dry. The California Ultraweave I had (~$320) almost entirely shed water so it dried a lot faster, as long as it was stretched out enough that huge puddles of water weren't in it.

-on the other hand, the Ultraweave was a lighter material so yeah, it would definitely act like a parachute on a windy day. Really the biggest negative of it IMO. You can tie them on via loop holes but that is a big pain if you plan on driving the car more than once a month or something.

-overall if you have a car you really care about and can spend the money on a NICE one, they ARE worth it. With the California cover my car would look like I literally just washed it when I took the cover off, even I washed it a week ago and it had rained 3 times since taking it off. Maybe that doesn't sound like much but if you live near trees (probably not a lot of people that don't), that beats cleaning sap, leaves, pollen, and bird shit off every single day by a long shot.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Mine has an elastic and cinches very nicely at the bottom of the car. Since it's fitted wind doesn't really do anything.

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Mine has an elastic and cinches very nicely at the bottom of the car. Since it's fitted wind doesn't really do anything.

Yeah, I had what was supposed to be a nice one on my '68 Mustang vert, with elastic, but it would blow off in really strong winds, and it never stopped people from fucking with the car.

--John Hobbs