General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

ritalinjoe

Generator keeps turning off, HALP!

I have a Troy Bilt 5550 Watt generator that I've been running since power went out during Hurricane Irene. Sometimes it will run for 8-10 hours straight without any problems and sometimes it will cut off 5-10 times in 30 minutes. Very frustrating since I have it all the way in my back shed and have to walk back there to turn it back on every time.

The air filter is clean and I just checked the spark plug. Everything else is too hot to touch since it's been running on and off since Saturday (or was it Friday) afternoon when we lost power.

Does anyone have any ideas? This shit is driving me crazy. Oh and I'm not overloading it by any means. All I have plugged in is my TV/ Verizon Fios box, Modem and Fridge and occasionally a laptop and phone charger.

But like I said, sometimes it will run for 8+ hours without any problems and then it will cut off (and sometimes turn itself back on) multiple times in a matter of a few minutes.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

L33T_h4x0r_d00d

Hows the carb look? How long had the gas been in it before you started running it? Does it have any meters on the side? Is there enough air flow to keep it from overheating?

Coqui

Using old gas? Dirty fuel filter?

ritalinjoe

Gas is new, can't even find the fuel filter. It must be in the tank since theres only a line coming out of it with a cutoff switch and the line goes straight into the carb.

And it's in a shed in my back yard with the door wide open, plenty of ventilation.

d114

How is the oil level and condition of the oil. Some of the gensets have a low oil level cutoff switch.

pull the wire from the switch, squeeze it a bit with a pair of pliers then put it back on. just to make sure it isn't rattling loose or anything

SmashingPumpkins

is it getting TOO hot? a small fan blowing on it to cool it if it's running constantly may help

ritalinjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by d114 View Post
How is the oil level and condition of the oil. Some of the gensets have a low oil level cutoff switch.

pull the wire from the switch, squeeze it a bit with a pair of pliers then put it back on. just to make sure it isn't rattling loose or anything

I checked the oil at the 2 fill spots, it was right to the top.

ritalinjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashingPumpkins View Post
is it getting TOO hot? a small fan blowing on it to cool it if it's running constantly may help

I was thinking that too, but it was doing it when I first started the thing the other day when it was cold.

Also once it heated up it ran like a champ for hours and hours both Sat and Sunday. It had a few cut offs but it would go for hours before it did.

I went to the store and got some fuel additive/ carb cleaner and some Ethanol treatment that's supposed to suck all the water out in case there's any in there so it doesn't bind with the ethanol.

Since doing that Ive had to restart it about 10 times, but after the last time it's been running for close to 15 minutes, which is by far the longest stretch it's run today.

Hopefully that did it.

SmashingPumpkins

how much power are you drawing? are you overloading it?

ritalinjoe

It would trip the circuits if I was overloading it.

Plus its rated for 5550 watts. I have my TV/ Verizon FIOS box, Fridge, Modem/Wifi and a laptop charger + cell phone charger when I need it.

Should have at least 1/4 more juice left.

ritalinjoe

Now every few minutes it will shut off and instantly restart, its annoying cause the FIOS box and modem have to reset, but at least I'm not having to run out to the shed every 3 fucking minutes to pull start the bastard.

I'm holding out hope, it's having a few hiccups here and there but overall it's running MUCH better than it did this morning.

solareon

air fuel mix is wrong?
1987 RX-7 TII - sold =(

Thermo1223

Could it be vapor lock? How hot is the fuel line?

I've also had instances where the carb would stop sucking in fuel because it would get vac locked. IE Fuel cap not letter air enter the tank.

Model Number? Make? You can try resetting the carb to factory defaults as far as mix goes. Then again it could just need a good cleaning.
Range - GTFO god :rolleyes:

DHermit
www.TShirtReview.com

If it's just going out for a few minutes, hook it up to a battery backup and then your shit won't have to reset??

I agree with checking the carb. Either way, call the manufacturer first?

BPJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritalinjoe View Post
It would trip the circuits if I was overloading it.

Plus its rated for 5550 watts. I have my TV/ Verizon FIOS box, Fridge, Modem/Wifi and a laptop charger + cell phone charger when I need it.

Should have at least 1/4 more juice left.

5550 rated or surge? Can you tell if it lines up with the fridge compressor kicking on?

Wood, wood, wood. Would you please get that penis out of my butt?

That's a good poem.