General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

DreamWarrior

Recipe[M]ay - Part IV - Chicken Tikka Masala (and Naan)

So, when I started these there was one recipe I really wanted to do and this was it. We had some friends over for dinner a few nights ago and I had a chance to make it again, so I chronicled it and figured I'd post it up. I hope y'all enjoy it.

A few things first:

1) This is spicy. I like hot stuff, so this does not bother me. My wife also enjoys a little spice, but she is a better litmus test -- if she can not handle it, most people probably can not either. Of the four of us at dinner, my wife and friend's girlfriend both thought it was spicy, but not too bad. My buddy and thought it was spiced perfectly. Just warning you.... Of course, if you look at the ingredients, it will become obvious pretty quickly why it's spicy .

2) This was my first attempt making any kind of dough, ever. I don't think it came out too badly. But, from what I read, Naan is a pretty forgiving bread as it is not supposed to rise a lot. Due to this, you can mess it up a bit and get away with it. I mention this because I was worried I would mess it up, but it came out pretty well. I do suck at rolling out nice round pieces, though, lol. Plus, I think I may have browned them off more than I would have liked. I was trying to figure out where the best spot in my oven was under the broiler, I burned the first few because they were way too close. Maybe I should have grilled them instead, but it was too cold out to fire up the grill. Next time I'll need to experiment with these more.... Last time we made this, we just bought pita and grilled it -- this was better, but I think it could have been better still if I cooked them differently. I wanted more doughy/chewy Naan.

So, on to the recipe:

Ingredients:

Marinade:

- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tblsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp red pepper
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1" piece of fresh ginger (minced)

- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast
- you may also want some skewers

Sauce:

- 1 tblsp unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 jalapeno (minced)
- 2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garam masala (I used this.)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream

Naan:

- 1 .25oz package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tblsp sugar (to proof yeast)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tblsp milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- Butter (melted later on to brush on Naan while cooking)

Kick back, this one's a long one.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

DreamWarrior

I started by prepping the mariande and the Naan dough. The marinade needs to sit for a few hours and so does the dough, so, this is perfect.

Marinade:

1. Combine the ingredients

2. Mince your ginger

3. Add that to the marinande

4. Cube up your chicken breast

5. Toss in the chicken

6. Then I covered it up and put it in the fridge for a while, the longer the better, I left mine about four hours.

DreamWarrior

Naan dough:

1. You must start by proofing your yeast. Add a tablespoon of sugar to lukewarm water and then dump in the yeast package.

In about five to six minutes it should start to get frothy, like this:

2. Combine the egg, milk, salt, and the 1/4 cup of sugar.

3. After a total of ten or so minutes the yeast should be nice and frothy, so you can add the combined mixture to it.

4. I left out a lot of pictures during this process because it was really gooey and I wasn't going to get that shit on my cell phone, lol. But, basically, at this point I started adding a cup of flour at a time and combining it into the dough. Once it started to firm up, after about three and a half cups, I tried to kneed it. It didn't work, so I added another cup to bring the total to about four and a half cups. At that point, it was kneeding pretty well. It turns out like this:

You may notice the Pam -- I cleaned out the bowl after kneeding the dough and lightly sprayed it with Pam because the dough was really sticking.
5. Then I covered it with a damp towel and set it aside to rise.

It took about an hour to double, but I left it for four just like the marinade because it wasn't time to start cooking yet. Not knowing quite how long this would take, I figured I'd give it the same time as the marinade so I didn't screw myself on time.

It looked like this:

when it was ready.

Last edited by DreamWarrior; 01-09-2012 at 02:01 PM..

DreamWarrior

When the Naan has risen, you will be making balls and then letting it rise a second time. This may take about a half hour or so, so my next steps were to make the balls and then start prepping the Masala sauce.

1. Pound down the finished dough before starting.
2. Make balls out of the dough. I pulled some off, grabbed it in the center, stretched it from both ends, then rolled it up. Supposedly this helps it rise better, I don't know...but that's how I did it.

3. Then I covered them up for their second rising.

4. Somewhere during the rest of the sauce prep I started the oven. I turned on the broiler and put my pizza stone to cook the Naan and my cast iron grill pan in there to heat them up.

Also, I put my skewers in some water so they didn't catch on fire under the broiler later on:

Sauce prep:

This is pretty easy -- mince the garlic and jalapeno and combine all the spices. I'm just really slow with my knife work, so I leave a lot longer to cut shit up than I need to. Plus, I like to have all my stuff ready to go so I can just dump it into the pan. Especially when I am doing a few things at once -- cooking Naan, chicken, and the sauce.

All that's left to do during this prep step is to thread your chicken on the kabobs.

The rest of the Naan prep:

After the Naan has risen the second time, it should look something like this:

Now you can roll it out, hopefully better than I did, into about 1/4 inch thick slabs.

I put these on the pizza stone, cooking them a little until they browned, then I brushed some butter on and flipped them. It was about 4 minutes per batch...your mileage may vary. I don't have pictures because I messed up the first batch and was cooking the sauce during the others and didn't remember to take any.

In the end, they came out something like this:

The brown was pretty even, but I think I ultimately overcooked them because they sat in the warmer drawer for a while. I'm going to have to mess with these next time to see if I can get them a little more doughy. If anyone has ever made them before and has tips, or can tell me where I went wrong, that'd be awesome! I'm thinking they may do better on something other than the pizza stone (grill) or further away from the broiler (I had some way too close and they burnt quickly, then I moved others down a little...but...I dunno -- I suck at baking, lol).

Last edited by DreamWarrior; 01-09-2012 at 02:06 PM..

DreamWarrior

Ok, the final fun part, the sauce. I was doing this while switching batches of Naan in hopes that I would line up the cook times in the end. But, ultimately I started the sauce into my second Naan batch, and after adjusting the Naan cook times downwards towards the last few batches I ended up with Naan in the warmer drawer for longer than I'd have liked. So, I probably should have started the sauce before the Naan.

Anyway, here goes it:

1. Melt the butter into the pan over medium heat

Around now my goddamn way oversensitive smoke alarms started going off because the pizza stone in the broiler was smoking off the butter that I brushed over the Naan, UGH! So, while trying to get that fucker outside and shut the alarms the fuck up, lol, I browned the melting butter in the pan. Didn't seem to change the flavor, but probably shouldn't have let it happen. Anyway....
2. Add the garlic and jalapeno and cook for about a minute

3. Add the spice mix and stir well in the pan. I stirred it for a minute or two as well to let the spices release some flavor and aroma. They smell SOOOO GOOD....

4. Add the tomato sauce and bring it down to a simmer and let it simmer for 15 minutes stirring every so often. Now is also a good time to start your rice (I used basmati). I almost forgot the rice with everything else going on, so I just quick tossed it in the rice cooker and plugged that bitch in.

5. About half way into your fifteen minute simmer is a good time to start the kabobs.

6. I rotated them a few times on the grill pan then transfered them to the broiler. I rotated them once under there too.

7. Then add the cream to the sauce and let that thicken.

8. Pull the kabobs out and then pull off the meat, don't burn yourself like I did, lol.

9. Add it to the sauce and heat through.

Last edited by DreamWarrior; 01-09-2012 at 02:11 PM..

DreamWarrior

I garnished with cilantro -- nom nom!

My plating skills still suck...oh well. I probably should have cut the Naan or something -- whatever, it tasted yummy!

Forever Domon

awesome. I love naan, definitely will try this one.

Im spoiled by naan cooked in a tandoori oven, but a pizza stone seems like a good alternative

DreamWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post
awesome. I love naan, definitely will try this one.

Im spoiled by naan cooked in a tandoori oven, but a pizza stone seems like a good alternative
Do you have a tandoori oven??

If you try this one and it sucks, I'm all ears for the one you use. There were quite a few different recipes, a few that didn't use yeast, instead using yogurt. In fact, if you cook this and it comes out doughy, create a thread telling me how to do it right, lol.

Forever Domon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Do you have a tandoori oven??

If you try this one and it sucks, I'm all ears for the one you use. There were quite a few different recipes, a few that didn't use yeast, instead using yogurt. In fact, if you cook this and it comes out doughy, create a thread telling me how to do it right, lol.
haha no, but a restaurant near me where i get naan on occasion does

DreamWarrior

Quote:
haha no, but a restaurant near me where i get naan on occasion does
Oh...I don't think our Indian restaurant does...but their Naan is pretty good. Probably better than this one, but I think that's my fault, lol. Theirs still has a good amount of white, mine was, I believe, way too brown....

Forever Domon

Quote:
Oh...I don't think our Indian restaurant does...but their Naan is pretty good. Probably better than this one, but I think that's my fault, lol. Theirs still has a good amount of white, mine was, I believe, way too brown....
naan for me is all about the "bubbles". How much it poofs up on the inside, while having a chewy outside.

DreamWarrior

Quote:
naan for me is all about the "bubbles". How much it poofs up on the inside, while having a chewy outside.
Someone said to add a little baking soda to the dough to help the bubbles...I didn't, maybe next time. I think I ruined the chewy with my cooking, lol, so I need to fix that. Next time I think I'm going to get it further away from the broiler...we'll see.... I hope you try it and experiment, I know it can come out better than what I did. Maybe someone else on here has done it before...where are our Indian members...Dank, lol? Does he cook, ya know, when he's not pimping, lol?

Forever Domon

Quote:
Someone said to add a little baking soda to the dough to help the bubbles...I didn't, maybe next time. I think I ruined the chewy with my cooking, lol, so I need to fix that. Next time I think I'm going to get it further away from the broiler...we'll see.... I hope you try it and experiment, I know it can come out better than what I did. Maybe someone else on here has done it before...where are our Indian members...Dank, lol? Does he cook, ya know, when he's not pimping, lol?
ill definitely take pics and post here when i do give it a shot. I dont have a pizza stone though, so it might be a while.

Although i suppose i could just go gather a big flat rock from outside and sanitize it

Forever Domon

Quote:
dank doesnt seem the cooking type, i could be wrong though. We've got an afghani dude too if i remember right, but I forget who it is. Noone that posts a lot

DreamWarrior

Quote:
ill definitely take pics and post here when i do give it a shot. I dont have a pizza stone though, so it might be a while.

Although i suppose i could just go gather a big flat rock from outside and sanitize it
I read somewhere that going down to the local stone supply and asking for a piece of unfinished granite will be both cheaper and better than a pizza stone. I didn't buy mine, it was a gift...so. But, yeah, lol...probably.