General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

VanFanel
THERE IS NO DATA HERE - NONE AT ALL! \o/

Best pre-paid cell phone plan?

Long story short - due to a very very very very very very VERY low monthly price I pay for a very very very very very VERY old ATT plan (think Pac Bell era), I have to get 'another' phone for when I travel outside of CA/NV/OR for work as my current plan has no nationwide roaming though my data plan and text messages are covered for the entire 50 states.

My work will reimburse me the cost of a new plan however I do not see the need for me to get into a contract and would rather get a dumb phone that is prepaid. So - does anyone have any recommendation for a solid nationwide pre-paid plan? ATT/T-Mobile/Verizon/Sprint... I couldn't care less

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

The best bang for the buck is Virgin Mobile (now owned by Sprint)....especially if you use a lot of text/e-mail/data. However you may want to choose the carrier based on the best coverage for the areas you will be traveling. Just go to each carriers website and look at their coverage maps..

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Forever Domon

all depends if you're just looking to keep an emergency phone live, or you're actually going to use minutes.

Do you need data?
How many minutes do you think you'll use a month?

VanFanel

I will actually use minutes and no, data and/or text is not necessary as I can do all of that on my personal phone due to unlimited data/txt.

joemama

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanFanel View Post
I will actually use minutes and no, data and/or text is not necessary as I can do all of that on my personal phone due to unlimited data/txt.
Then you're looking for the best voice coverage for the areas you'll be traveling, but since your personal phone doesn't have roaming...why not at least get a low/midrange smartphone if your employer is going to pay for it anyway? Again, Virgin mobile has some very good value, flexible pre-paid plans, and since they use the Sprint network the voice clarity is good.

edit- are you saying that your personal phone doesn't have voice roaming, yet you can access data/text/e-mail anywhere in the country?

._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Why not metropcs?

Also, why would you use your data anyway? It may be unlimited but dont you have a cap on how much data is high speed and how much is low speed?

VanFanel

Joemama/Lurker - the plan is really weird/old... so yes I have unlimited data/txt anywhere in the US... the softcap is 5GB on my data plan as far as ATT has told me (and by that it means first warning)... could be 2GB, not sure...

Reason I want to avoid a smartphone is due to battery life - I'll be in data centers and walking around large areas, constantly on the phone so the likelihood of the battery going poof is higher with a smartphone. Also MetroPCS doesnt have coverage in the boonies much, does it?

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
The best bang for the buck is Virgin Mobile (now owned by Sprint)....especially if you use a lot of text/e-mail/data. However you may want to choose the carrier based on the best coverage for the areas you will be traveling. Just go to each carriers website and look at their coverage maps..

They have a few nice plans that are monthly as well, but there is no contract. I use their unlimited text/unlimited data/1200 mins/$34/mo and wonder why the fuck people pay $100/mo for basically the same thing from other carriers. They use sprint lines though so service isn't as good ATT. T-mobile is now offering the same thing because a lot of people are going this route. probably won't be long before everyone starts lowering their rates. I can't imagine they'd get away charging what they charge for ever.

You do have to buy your own phone though - so that's $300 for a smartphone. Nothing an iPhone user won't experience in their lifetime though. (they are very fragile )

BlisterDick
boobie poo bear luv hugs

Net10:

750 anytime minutes/texts/data for $25/month prepaid... can pick up a refill card anywhere (walmart, target, most grocery stores, 7-Eleven, Rite-Aid, Walgreens, etc)

BlisterDick
boobie poo bear luv hugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
(they are very fragile )

how many iphones have you handled?

joemama

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlisterDick View Post
Net10:

750 anytime minutes/texts/data for $25/month prepaid... can pick up a refill card anywhere (walmart, target, most grocery stores, 7-Eleven, Rite-Aid, Walgreens, etc)
Whose network do they use? Their "coverage" map is kinda suspect....as if the entire country is covered except for small pockets here and there....and California isn't covered well at all.

._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

BlisterDick
boobie poo bear luv hugs

Quote:
Whose network do they use? Their "coverage" map is kinda suspect....as if the entire country is covered except for small pockets here and there.

I get full bars everywhere I go in my area, but it's a metro area and I also barely talk on the phone so I could care less... just saying.

Quote:

Nobody's putting a gun to your head.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
how many iphones have you handled?

A few to check it out but that shouldn't matter as much as the experiences of the iPhone users I know. Those screen covers fracture if you look at them wrong. It costs like $150 to replace iirc unless you know how to do it yourself... A friend's 4s just stopped charging recently. Old roommate went through about 3 of them in 1.5 years due to various mishaps.

On the other hand my other friend throws his galaxy on the floor at least once a day. Battery cover flies off and everything. Nada. The iPhone really is made of eggshells compared to other smartphones.

joemama

Quote:
I get full bars everywhere I go in my area, but it's a metro area and I also barely talk on the phone so I could care less... just saying.

Nobody's putting a gun to your head.
I just asked which network they use....for example VM uses Sprint. Looks like it's GSM..so ATT maybe?

._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

BlisterDick
boobie poo bear luv hugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
A few to check it out but that shouldn't matter as much as the experiences of the iPhone users I know. Those screen covers fracture if you look at them wrong. It costs like $150 to replace iirc unless you know how to do it yourself... A friend's 4s just stopped charging recently. Old roommate went through about 3 of them in 1.5 years due to various mishaps.

On the other hand my other friend throws his galaxy on the floor at least once a day. Battery cover flies off and everything. Nada. The iPhone really is made of eggshells compared to other smartphones.

I worked at Apple's Northern California RMA facility for 9 months after the iPhone 4 was released... I saw quite a few iPhone 3s and 4s dropped on cement flooring with absolutely no damage. The phones we got back that were cracked were never covered by the warranty because users. more often than not, are negligent and at fault for damaging their devices. It would literally take someone throwing their phone, stomping on it, dropping it off a roof, having it run over by a car, etc for the screen to break. Simply dropping an iPhone from your hand onto a hard surface will not damage it.