General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Junkie Mod
totensiebush
shit the needle broke off in my ass cheek

My recollection is that they need valve adjustments very frequently too, every 3k or something.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

StarDeath13

congrats,nice price on the bike also.

Squeeky
My love muffin <3 Pinkys Avenger

Nice bike, very nice price.

StarDeath13

mattress- sorry i missed the questions.
i like thicker chain lubes as thinner ones get slung all over the bike.
PJ-1 is one ive used i like.
honda one i used sucked.

by all means check your tire pressures and check them before each ride.
bike tires can have 0psi in them and look inflated.

also dont be pressured into stunting.
it sounds dumb but ive been in that postion.
1.behind a school bus i had kids egging me on to do something,the most they got out of me was a 11k rpm exhaust blast.
2.when seeing hot chicks walking down the road you will feel the urge to impress them,again my best move is pull the clutch and give another exhaust salute.
3.dont park your bike next to a harley or in front of a bar.
harley riders have been known to kick jap bikes over and even start fights in a bar if they know you own the rice.
most arent that way and are just the weekend warriors,but there is still some 1%'s out there.
plus drinking and bikes dont mix.
4.this may sound dumb but make sure you put your kickstand down before trying to get off the bike.its too easy to forget its not down and the bike is so heavy that once its on its way down its hard to stp it.

lopoetve

ALWAYS remember that rule 4.
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

lopoetve

Woot for perfect days!

No-woot for people WRITING CHECKS WHILE DRIVING THEIR CAR AND FORGETTING TO LOOK WHEN THEY TURN ONTO A BUSY STREET.

I'm carrying ninja rocks from now on. the horn doesn't cut it.
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

Junkie Mod
totensiebush

hell, I even remembered rule 4 once but didn't do it quite right . i walked away and after about 3 steps heard it hit the ground . all that happened was a broken clutch lever, but still...

StarDeath13

ive forgotten the kickstand a few times especially when pulling upto a gas pump and sitting on the bike as i fill up and keep it level to get a fuller tank,i get off and forget to put it down and about dropped the bike a few times.
sometimes my kickstand doesnt even extend fully and about dropped it like that also.

thankfully ive not dropped a bike yet,but it will come all too soon im sure.

Wicaeed

Whats the advantage of a leather jacket vs a mesh/cloth jacket (I know it's not NORMAL cloth/mesh per say). More protection? I found a cloth/mesh jacket at a local bike shop I really liked, and the price wasn't too bad ($229) and they had a deal where if you got the jacket you could buy the matching pants for 50% off. Whats a good price range to aim for in terms of cost vs. protection?

lopoetve

leather has a ~bit~ more abrasion resistance. But, it also is heavier/hotter. ballistic nylon is 99% of the way there, wear which ever you like.

And to give you an idea, I cheaped a bit on a jacket and my gear cost me ~$500.
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

CanuckDave

woohoo.. weather finally got warm enough to spend some time working on the bike, so I got the stator cover replaced, oil changed and repainted the fairings with Krylon Fusion, so the bike is all one colour now. went out riding for a couple hours, so good to get out again, messy though cause everything is melting.

here's how the bike looks now:

flurby
I can't think for myself so I let the Democrats do it for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicaeed View Post
Whats the advantage of a leather jacket vs a mesh/cloth jacket (I know it's not NORMAL cloth/mesh per say). More protection? I found a cloth/mesh jacket at a local bike shop I really liked, and the price wasn't too bad ($229) and they had a deal where if you got the jacket you could buy the matching pants for 50% off. Whats a good price range to aim for in terms of cost vs. protection?

Leather > All.

Leather provides more protection than just about anything else. It also slides, which is key. Imagine dismounting at 60+ mph and hitting the pavement. Do you want to slide and bleed off the energy slowly or have fabric grab and turn you into a whirling dervish of flips and dismemberment?

Leather + Inserts is the best you can have I think.

As for the kickstand and Harley riders. Been riding bikes for 12+ years and never forgot the kickstand. Not sure why, just never have. Harley riders are usually cool if you aren't a tard. Never had a bit of trouble with them.

stupid dumbass
IvanY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattress View Post
Hey guys, I wanted to thank all of you for your help.

The first time I read this thread was about a year ago. I gained all the knowledge I have about motorcycles from this thread:

I'm starting out on a used bike 500cc bike. I will be taking the MSF course within the next month. I will always wear a helmet and gear. These are just a few of the things that stick out at the moment that I learned here.

I wanted to get into the motorcycle scene to try something new. A 4-year-relationship with a girl ended on bad terms, and I had become very lonely. I figured a motorcycle would give me something to do, and be a way to meet new people. Unfortunatly, over the past year it's been one thing after another delaying me getting into motorcycles.

But the time has come. Last night, I bought a 1999 Suzuki GS500E 13,500 miles for $1200. It's yellow and black. I'm very happy with it.
Insurance will be a little over $200 for a year.
Taxes were $18.
Bike permit is $2.50.

I have some boots I bought a long time ago specifically for riding. I still need a helmet and jacket. I got some gloves that match the bike

I have a big back yard, and have put 3 miles on the bike riding a figure 8 around obstacles. I'm getting a hang of the clutch, throttle, and braking. Soon I will be brave enough to take it on the road... atleast up to a school parking lot that's in my neighborhood. I've been playing around with everything like the kick stand, center stand, popping the seat off, etc.

Anyway, I have a few questions:
Tomorrow I want to do a little chain maintenance. What do you guys suggest using as a chain lube?

The bike has 13,500 miles on it. What are some things I need to check out on the bike to keep it running great?

I read this air cooled engine likes to suck up oil, so I'll make sure to check that once a week atleast.

Is there anything else I need to know or keep an eye out for?

and.. of course.. a picture
[ING]http://s87604605.onlinehome.us//files/1/DSC00075%20%28Small%29.JPG[/IMG]
I own a 2000 GS. Nice bike Not much mechanical to go wrong. It does sip oil, every time you lube the chain, check the oil level and add as necessary. No need to check everyweek, but at least once every 1,000 miles or so.

Valve adjustment intervals are ~6k I think. Check your service manual.

Junkie Mod
totensiebush

goddamnit someone knocked over my bike again

I was walking out to my car (I have to walk past it to get there) and noticed that the right footpeg was angled up. It took me (180lb + 20lb backpack) jumping up and down on the footpeg fairly hard in order to get it back down, so it certainly wasn't just someone messing with the bike either. Luckily I couldn't find any damage, but I'm still pissed off that it was knocked over again.

flurby
I can't think for myself so I let the Democrats do it for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by totensiebush View Post
goddamnit someone knocked over my bike again

I was walking out to my car (I have to walk past it to get there) and noticed that the right footpeg was angled up. It took me (180lb + 20lb backpack) jumping up and down on the footpeg fairly hard in order to get it back down, so it certainly wasn't just someone messing with the bike either. Luckily I couldn't find any damage, but I'm still pissed off that it was knocked over again.

Can't find another place to park it? That sucks man, hope it is ok