General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

1337rider

New windows - Return on investment?

I have the option of spending 11500 on new, low-e windows for my house, or not...
I expect I'd save no more than $150/year on energy... though I do have 16 windows, four are 48x77 picture windows. They are double paned, but aluminum.

It would improve the look of my house, for sure, but I don't really care enough to sink 11,500 into windows (plus interest) if I'm not going to get at least 90% of it back.

Thoughts?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

TUT RAGE!!!

this sounds like something domon would do.
so don't do it.

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

We just replaced all the aging double pane windows in my folks place with better ones and the difference is very noticeable. Our old ones lost their seals and the sealing around them was not so good. I'm not sure how much we saved in the summer because they have so many windows to let in the IR heat and our AC system kind of sucks but I'm guessing this winter we will save considerable amounts of money on the heat we are no longer losing.

cliffs: seemed to make a serious improvement here. wish I had some numbers to back it up but I don't do the bills for that house.

cokezeroholic

Why is it costing much? Is it just a quoted price from someone with labor or are you buying top of the line stuff? Are you going to stay in the house long enough to get the investment back? Is energy efficiency something that's important to you in your house? 11,500 is something I'd rather spend on a solar unit or geothermal downpayments if I'm sticking around the house for a while.

1337rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsiholic View Post
Why is it costing much? Is it just a quoted price from someone with labor or are you buying top of the line stuff? Are you going to stay in the house long enough to get the investment back? Is energy efficiency something that's important to you in your house? 11,500 is something I'd rather spend on a solar unit or geothermal downpayments if I'm sticking around the house for a while.

They're better windows than the builder grade vinyl windows, argon filled and all that. And they're being installed by that company.
I plan to own the house for 5 more years - so no, the energy savings will not pay for the windows. I was hoping the increase in property value when I sold the house in 5 years would be worth it though.

cokezeroholic

http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/new-w...estment-17879/

http://www.scordo.com/2008/12/the-ro...old-windo.html

Here's to hoping that your market will recover and the costs can be justified when it does go on the market

Slacker

The market will probably not recognize any increased value from new windows. Unless it's part of an overall "green" package and you've got a low HERS score to back it up.

I'm an appraiser and although I don't do any residential work I've spoke to enough residential appraisers to know that this is one of those things that does not really count, except insofar as it reflects the overall quality and condition of the property.

$150/year equals a 76 year payback. If you actually account for the time value of money your house will be a pile of kindling before you would realize a return on your investment.

If you had two identicla houses and one had these windows and the other were the normal windows, would you pay $10,000 more? $5,000 more? Ultimately this is what an appraiser is trying to figure out. I'll bet you'd be lucky if it added even a few thousand dollars to the value. Certainly nowhere near enough to recongize a return on your investment.

AbortTheFetus

Have you shopped around and tried to find a better deal. Maybe it's just regional differences but I think 11,500 seems a bit high. It's more than $700 per window but you'd think if your'e getting 16 done they'd throw you some kind of discount. I'd reply back and say that at that price it isn't practical to get the work done and see if they'll drop the price or otherwise sweeten the deal.

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbortTheFetus View Post
Have you shopped around and tried to find a better deal. Maybe it's just regional differences but I think 11,500 seems a bit high. It's more than $700 per window but you'd think if your'e getting 16 done they'd throw you some kind of discount. I'd reply back and say that at that price it isn't practical to get the work done and see if they'll drop the price or otherwise sweeten the deal.

TSRH,

Get quotes elsewhere. Hell, hit up your local (b)Lowe's or HomoDepot, and pit them against each other. IIRC, lowes'll do it for about $220 per (normal) window, and the windows themselves aren't much more than 100-200 per. That's in the vicinity of $5k, before taxes and shit.

You are getting if you take that deal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

Ž~~~ Ž~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex Ž~~~ Ž~~~

Axel'en

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbortTheFetus View Post

Seems a bit high in my opinion, too. And well, I normally do have the money. I just bought one of those beautiful Breitling watches, because I could not resist and because they are worth their money. But I would not throw my money down that rathole for windows like that. Just look somewhere else, ask in different shops. Get informations before you spend so much money.

Xcric
i have 3 girlfriends but they dont know it yet

just cover the window openings with garbage bags and duct tape. problem solved

silencer82

only a moreon spends that much on windows.

1337rider

No, only a moron would pay the 19,200 they original quoted me. I balked, they dropped it to 16K, then 14, the 11,500.

I still told them no in the end - over-bidding the job by that much and only coming down when I started ushering them to the door means they didn't bid in good faith.

I'll be replacing them myself, for ~$4000, for a much nicer window.

Xcric
i have 3 girlfriends but they dont know it yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337rider View Post
No, only a moron would pay the 19,200 they original quoted me. I balked, they dropped it to 16K, then 14, the 11,500.

I still told them no in the end - over-bidding the job by that much and only coming down when I started ushering them to the door means they didn't bid in good faith.

I'll be replacing them myself, for ~$4000, for a much nicer window.

wait so let me get this straight. they bid. they bid too high. you knew it was too high and you declined it.

...then you asked genmay if it was too high... only to say you declined it after so many people said you were a moron if you considered that an option?

well either you're a moron that didn't really realize it was too high and genuinely wanted to know if it was, or you made a thread for no reason.

either way i'm betting you give up installing your own windows after the 3rd one and call a contractor to finish it for you.

1337rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcric View Post
wait so let me get this straight. they bid. they bid too high. you knew it was too high and you declined it.

...then you asked genmay if it was too high... only to say you declined it after so many people said you were a moron if you considered that an option?

well either you're a moron that didn't really realize it was too high and genuinely wanted to know if it was, or you made a thread for no reason.

either way i'm betting you give up installing your own windows after the 3rd one and call a contractor to finish it for you.

No, I asked Genmay if I'd get at least 90% of my money back on resale of the house... If I would get 90% of my money back when I resold the house, the PITA I'd avoid by having the contractor do it would have been worth it, including the energy savings in the meantime.

I had two other quotes given to me on equivalent windows after posting the thread... one was 10K, one was 13K. I declined them all, since discussions with several real estate agents said that it wouldn't make a big difference in the speed or sale price of the house.

I want the new windows, so after I do the roof and siding next summer, I'll replace the windows the following summer.