General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

VanFanel
THERE IS NO DATA HERE - NONE AT ALL! \o/

whoa - did you know that outlook does not encrypt passwords?

If you have an email accounts setup to be retrieved by outlook; beware of the fact that outlook does not encrypt your passwords - essentially anyone with a packet sniffer can pick your password and user name up w/o a problem...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Shad0w

Welcome to POP.

Now try every other client out there and realize the same thing. There's a reason that smart people run it over SSL.

jkoebel

Neither does any other mail client. Even mail clients with authentication just base64 your password. The only times it's encrypted is if your server uses SSL or SPA for authentication.

That's why the old addage used to be "e-mail is as private as a postcard."

It's not an Outlook thing, it's an e-mail thing.

Shad0w

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoebel
Neither does any other mail client. Even mail clients with authentication just base64 your password. The only times it's encrypted is if your server uses SSL or SPA for authentication.

That's why the old addage used to be "e-mail is as private as a postcard."

It's not an Outlook thing, it's an e-mail thing.

So beaten.

VanFanel
THERE IS NO DATA HERE - NONE AT ALL! \o/

wtf then - that's dumb is there anyway to force my email accounts to use SSL? I.e. I have SBC email accounts - do they offer SSL connectivity?

edit: wait wtf - I just found out that i can decrypt my password from my domain based email which DOES use SSL connectivity

Shad0w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Jew
wtf then - that's dumb is there anyway to force my email accounts to use SSL? I.e. I have SBC email accounts - do they offer SSL connectivity?

Try it and see. Just look for an option saying "Use encryption"

Komataguri

I love how you people usurped his attempt to bash Microsoft with cold hard facts.

Makes me tingle somewhere deep inside.

jkoebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad0w
So beaten.

Indeed, props you beat me by 1 minute.

Shad0w

Quote:
Indeed, props you beat me by 1 minute.

Fuck, this is what happens when I'm bored at work. Given the option of debugging plsql or sitting on genmay, i'll choose genmay almost every time.

jkoebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Jew

edit: wait wtf - I just found out that i can decrypt my password from my domain based email which DOES use SSL connectivity

Most applications don't use any "major" encryption on passwords entered into them -- mainly because they don't need to.

In a sensitive environment, your PC is going to be secured by group policy with positive trusted access, and in a normal environment, you secure physical access to the PC with a network login (requiring DC authentication when returning from Lock, for instance) to keep people from messing around.

If you can't trust the people sitting right at your workstation, then it fundamentally isn't your computer any more. Pretty much all locally-cached passwords can be recovered, it is just a matter of knowing which cache to look in and what to XOR it with.

Shad0w

Quote:
Most applications don't use any "major" encryption on passwords entered into them -- mainly because they don't need to.

In a sensitive environment, your PC is going to be secured by group policy with positive trusted access, and in a normal environment, you secure physical access to the PC with a network login (requiring DC authentication when returning from Lock, for instance) to keep people from messing around.

If you can't trust the people sitting right at your workstation, then it fundamentally isn't your computer any more. Pretty much all locally-cached passwords can be recovered, it is just a matter of knowing which cache to look in and what to XOR it with.

What he said.

You have to keep in mind that your computer needs to be able to access that password to use it, therefore there's always going to be a way for it to decrypt it unless it prompts you for the password every time. SSL is a network encryption method, it's got nothing to do with your local machine's security.