General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
RedEyes
Boner Provider
 
RedEyes's Avatar
 
ITT: share a recipe for ribs

Been enjoying ribs lately when we've been out and wanted to try our hand at making them at home. Everyone seems to have their own spin on ribs. What does genmay say is the best way to make them?
__________________
RIP BS Pegasus
10/20/06 NEVAR FORGET


We will make contact with this frequency every twelve hours. Prepare sitrep for command authority. Have hope. We're coming for you.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:36 PM RedEyes is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

U Caught The Gay
 
U Caught The Gay's Avatar
 
I made beef ribs last week. Cook them in the oven with a double foil wrap for 6.5 hours at 225.

Grill immediately:
Preheat grill to 300.
Place ribs, brush with BBQ, wait for grill to return to 300.
Flip. Brush.
Wait for grill to return to 300.
Flip. Brush.
Wait for 300.
Flip. Brush.
Enjoy.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:41 PM U Caught The Gay is offline  
Reply With Quote
#2  

RedEyes
Boner Provider
 
RedEyes's Avatar
 
so you have an oven thermometer and a grill top? or some kind of thermometer on your grill?
__________________
RIP BS Pegasus
10/20/06 NEVAR FORGET


We will make contact with this frequency every twelve hours. Prepare sitrep for command authority. Have hope. We're coming for you.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:49 PM RedEyes is offline  
Reply With Quote
#3  

U Caught The Gay
 
U Caught The Gay's Avatar
 
Old 07-08-2011, 06:50 PM U Caught The Gay is offline  
Reply With Quote
#4  

RedEyes
Boner Provider
 
RedEyes's Avatar
 
very good article, thanks. how would you simulate the grill portion if you don't have a grill? we just moved to a new apartment. could I do it in a frying pan? would I need some kind of special thermometer?

I wonder why you wrap them in tin foil twice but loosely?
__________________
RIP BS Pegasus
10/20/06 NEVAR FORGET


We will make contact with this frequency every twelve hours. Prepare sitrep for command authority. Have hope. We're coming for you.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:02 PM RedEyes is offline  
Reply With Quote
#5  

U Caught The Gay
 
U Caught The Gay's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEyes View Post
very good article, thanks. how would you simulate the grill portion if you don't have a grill? we just moved to a new apartment. could I do it in a frying pan? would I need some kind of special thermometer?

I wonder why you wrap them in tin foil twice but loosely?

To radiate the heat but avoid direct exposure to the drying hot air, allowing the steam to not be wasted.

You need a grill. Otherwise you're just wasting your time.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:05 PM U Caught The Gay is offline  
Reply With Quote
#6  

Jehannum
 
Jehannum's Avatar
 
Southwestern BBQ sauce:
1/2 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup tomato sauce (smooth, not chunky)
1/3 cup "pompeiian" red wine vinegar (used to use progresso, so if you can find that, bully for you)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup lime juice
2 tablespoons Chimayo red chili powder
2 teaspoon cumin
salt (to taste)

whisk together over light heat, simmer to desired thickness

Baste your ribs in that on a smoker (5 hours, ~200).
__________________
Your powers are useless! I'm wearing my tin foil underwear!

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:24 PM Jehannum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7  

JPF_
 
JPF_'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEyes View Post
Been enjoying ribs lately when we've been out and wanted to try our hand at making them at home. Everyone seems to have their own spin on ribs. What does genmay say is the best way to make them?

What kinda ribs first off?

Regular pork spareribs? They really need no prep work per say, some have boiled them in water before taking them to the grill or oven. You don't want to cover spare ribs because they have quite a bit of fat, and you want that to render out. So never cover them in foil.

+++++ Low/slow oven at/around 200-250 for a few hours, basting with your fav sauce.

+++++ If you have a smoker, toss em in there for a few hours, basting once again.

+++++ Crock Pot, and your fav sauce, cut them into "fingers" and let them go for a few hours.


Babyback Pork Ribs? These are not "really" ribs, they come from the Loin of a pig, not a small baby pig or anything of that nature. They basically will cook just like pork spare ribs, only difference is these need to be covered with foil, due to lack of fat for the most part. However, the last 1 hour or so of cooking you should un cover them and baste them and kinda let it form a nice crust. So same cooking methods as above for the spareribs.



Beef Back Ribs? These can be tough if not cooked right. There are a few versions of them. It comes off directly from the rib eye cut of beef. Think bone in rib eye. Not a whole lot of meat, but the bones are nice to gnaw on.

+++Roast them in an oven at/around 300-350 for 2-3 hours, basting here and there with your fav sauce.

+++ Boil them for a few min's, then roast them in the oven on a pan with some mixed veggies like onions, garlic, potato's, carrots.....almost like a beef stew minus a lot of liquid.

+++++ Toss em on the grill, low heat.....baste here and there.....3-4 hours.


Beef Short Ribs? These guys are kinda the pork spareribs of beef. Lots of meat, can have lots of fat, so I would look back at cooking methods of pork spareribs, and try those.



If you want tender ribs, slow and low is always the way to go. It will take hours. Seasoning depends on what you like.....i prefer dry seasoning because the fat that comes off the ribs will cause most of the wet seasoning to fall off due to the fat rendering. But dry it will soak into the fat causing not only the meat to be moist. But the meat to be flavorful because the seasonings are not running off.

Normally if I want a wet seasoning, I wait till last min, blast the broiler or grill to high. And slather on the wet, and get a crust on it on both sides.


From a butchers stand point, I like pork spareribs vs all of the others, just because they are meaty. And why buy something when bone/fat > meat?
Also, from a butchers stand point, try hollywood ribs.......if your butcher doesn't know what they are, tell him its a quarter pork loin cut in half, then into rib pieces....
those are dam good too......and country style pork ribs......same cooking methods for pork spareribs.


And for what you said about "spin" no one really has a "spin" or super innovative way of cooking ribs. Lot and slow, and whatever seasonings you want.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:32 PM JPF_ is offline  
Reply With Quote
#8  

malamute face
Long time. Me lobe yoy long time.
 
malamute face's Avatar
 
We love beef back ribs. We have tried all types of ribs, and those beef back ribs are just the lil' nuggets of ribby goodness that we desire.


Edit- These ribs I found on Google look fattier than the ones we get.


I start by making a double batch of this rub, saving the leftover in the fridge if I don't use it all.

Anne's Classic Rib Rub

2 TBS paprika (smoky preferred)
2 TBS Kosher salt (regular is ok)
3 TBS granular sweetener
2 TBS brown sugar (or Splenda mix)
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1 TBS pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 TBS onion powder
1 TBS garlic powder
1 TBS celery salt (opt)
1 tsp oregano (I only use a few dashes of this)
I take the ribs out and remove that silver skin membrane layer thingy. It's easy to remove when you use a paper towel to pull on it (versus your bare hands).

I put the ribs on a big piece of foil and then I sprinkle and rub the rub (lolz) on both sides. Then I fold the foil up like a pouch. Usually, I let the ribs sit in the fridge with the rub on them for an hour or sometimes even overnight. I put the foil pouches on a baking sheet and bake at 275 for around 2 hours.

Take them out of the oven, then brush your favorite BBQ sauce on them while on the grill. If you only have an oven, the broiler would work just fine. (Our sauce of choice is a raspberry chipotle sauce).






They are quite the hit.
__________________
I breathe my husband Serv0h's soul and I sniff his boxers + farts
Zerokewl is my twin at everything and my long-lost BFF that I never knew I had until like March
I luv uterus
Growler & I hate olives <3
Pyramid is my speakerhumper BFF

Total: 24

Last edited by malamute face; 07-08-2011 at 09:07 PM..
Old 07-08-2011, 08:59 PM malamute face is offline  
Reply With Quote
#9  

RedEyes
Boner Provider
 
RedEyes's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by U Caught The Gay View Post
http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Mak...ver&id=2941634

Sauce ingredients:
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup mustard
1 tablespoon worcestershire
1/4 cup orange juice
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup honey

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/2941634
So we used this as a sort of guide. I used this recipe but I doubled it and added half a cup of chocolate syrup, and the better half says she could definitely taste it. I wanna thank everyone for their input, especially jpf and malamute. I sort of took ideas from everyone to bring it all together. Since we didn't have a grill, we had to make do. We put them in the oven around 6:20 am at 200 degrees, and tried to flip and baste them every 4 hours or so. With our schedules, it ended up being about 9 pm before we pulled them out. So they were in for around 15 hours. Around then we set them to broil and flipped them a couple times for about 15 minutes. They turned out super super tender, fall off the bone, like you might expect. Was hoping to get the sort of caramelized crust around them, but I think that's a function of the kind of heat from a grill? One of the pans looked like it would have had it, during the broil cycle but I flipped it early because I was nervous about overdoing it. By this time the pans had a bit of a juice pond thing going on. Served them with home made apple sauce, bread sticks, green beans, and scalloped potatoes from a box. All in all, very yummy/satisfying, with plenty of leftovers.

edit: I think, iirc for the last 8 hours or so, I dialed the heat down to 175ish - if that matters.
edit2: better half says the store didn't have beef ribs, which is why we had to go with pork. I think I'll do the shopping next time, and make sure we get beef.
__________________
RIP BS Pegasus
10/20/06 NEVAR FORGET


We will make contact with this frequency every twelve hours. Prepare sitrep for command authority. Have hope. We're coming for you.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:09 PM RedEyes is offline  
Reply With Quote
#10  

JPF_
 
JPF_'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEyes View Post
So we used this as a sort of guide. I used this recipe but I doubled it and added half a cup of chocolate syrup, and the better half says she could definitely taste it. I wanna thank everyone for their input, especially jpf and malamute. I sort of took ideas from everyone to bring it all together. Since we didn't have a grill, we had to make do. We put them in the oven around 6:20 am at 200 degrees, and tried to flip and baste them every 4 hours or so. With our schedules, it ended up being about 9 pm before we pulled them out. So they were in for around 15 hours. Around then we set them to broil and flipped them a couple times for about 15 minutes. They turned out super super tender, fall off the bone, like you might expect. Was hoping to get the sort of caramelized crust around them, but I think that's a function of the kind of heat from a grill? One of the pans looked like it would have had it, during the broil cycle but I flipped it early because I was nervous about overdoing it. By this time the pans had a bit of a juice pond thing going on. Served them with home made apple sauce, bread sticks, green beans, and scalloped potatoes from a box. All in all, very yummy/satisfying, with plenty of leftovers.

edit: I think, iirc for the last 8 hours or so, I dialed the heat down to 175ish - if that matters.
edit2: better half says the store didn't have beef ribs, which is why we had to go with pork. I think I'll do the shopping next time, and make sure we get beef.

You're welcome, glad they turned out great!


Also, as I said in my post. Just turn the broiler on for the last 15 mins or so of cooking......flipping it every 4ish min's.....maybe go longer then the 15 mins till the desired "crust" is formed.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:16 PM JPF_ is offline  
Reply With Quote
#11  

RedEyes
Boner Provider
 
RedEyes's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPF_ View Post
You're welcome, glad they turned out great!


Also, as I said in my post. Just turn the broiler on for the last 15 mins or so of cooking......flipping it every 4ish min's.....maybe go longer then the 15 mins till the desired "crust" is formed.

copy.dat

also, another thought - if you live in a shitty apartment with a really crappy cheap counter top, don't leave a splash of barbecue sauce on the counter unless you like a neon yellow/highlighterish mark to stick around.
__________________
RIP BS Pegasus
10/20/06 NEVAR FORGET


We will make contact with this frequency every twelve hours. Prepare sitrep for command authority. Have hope. We're coming for you.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:20 PM RedEyes is offline  
Reply With Quote
#12  

RedEyes
Boner Provider
 
RedEyes's Avatar
 
should I pour beer on them this time?
__________________
RIP BS Pegasus
10/20/06 NEVAR FORGET


We will make contact with this frequency every twelve hours. Prepare sitrep for command authority. Have hope. We're coming for you.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:24 PM RedEyes is offline  
Reply With Quote
#13  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:41 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.