General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Forget the pool, how about a moat?

I dont know if this was already asked but, is it cheaper to build a whole new house or buy one already built?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

DreamWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
Forget the pool, how about a moat?
Haha...if I can have moat monsters then I shall dig a moat. However, given they may eat our dog, I don't think the wife will let me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
I dont know if this was already asked but, is it cheaper to build a whole new house or buy one already built?
Depends, probably cheaper to buy one already built. With what we'll spend to finish the backyard, if we bought something that had the fence, pool, landscaping, etc already then we probably would have come out ahead. However, we also wouldn't have had the luxury of customizing it. So we would have spent a lot of money customizing it to our liking; possibly new floors, knocking out walls, re-doing rooms, etc.

That said, if we could have found a house that was pretty close to what we wanted we'd have bought it. Alas, we couldn't, so we built. The wife and I looked at several real estate listings prior to building and every house had something one of us didn't like. It was typically my dislike for the layout, which is not easily fixed. However, sometimes we would just look through the rooms and see nothing but stuff we wanted to change. Unfortunately, however, the variety of homes for sale at the time with lots of land was minimal and lots of land was a primary requirement for both of us. Had we been willing to give that up, we would have had many more options and probably could have held out for the last year and purchased something outright, especially with the way the market has continued to decline. However, new homes with lots of land around here are far and few in between as "house farms" are the norm. Most developments with anywhere near 1 acre lots start over $500k, and we will be under that even after putting in the fence, shed, pool, and deck.

Anyway...to summarize, in this area, I'd say it's cheaper to buy if you can find what you want. But, finding what we wanted was hard, so it was build or compromise. We had the money, the choice seemed obvious, lol.