General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

DepecheMode

Snadboy's Revelation...

Greetings,

After researching and acquiring this handy Wi-Fi packet sniffer/Analyzer, I went to install it and AVAST promptly picked up Malware.

The message read: "Win32:Snadboy [Tool] has been found in...."

My question is as follows: Should this be considered an attack on my laptop and the program be discarded?

TIA.

Dm

c636f0d2d45c7827681c3ed40e049f60

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Assyrian

You tried installing it. Unless you don't think friendly fire is an attack, then don't consider it an attack.

twitter.com/thespazz

SnarkFish
This post probably contains a URL

snadboy's revelation is a tool to view the passwords hidden behind the *********
if you consider that malware and you did not put it on there, then treat it as such

DepecheMode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assyrian
You tried installing it. Unless you don't think friendly fire is an attack, then don't consider it an attack.

My apologies sir, I consider "Hidden Gems" such as Malware...an attack.
My initial goal for this thread was to asses whether AVAST incorrectly judged the executable file for the program as Malware.
I hoped that past experiences from the sage advisors on this board could direct me in the correct action to take.

Thank you,
Dm

Zypher

most virus scanners will pick up stuff like port scanners and remote administration tools and treat them as viruses. you can usually turn off this 'feature' somewhere in the virus scanner preferences

DepecheMode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnarkFish
snadboy's revelation is a tool to view the passwords hidden behind the *********
if you consider that malware and you did not put it on there, then treat it as such

Thank you for the correction, I incorrectly described the program, confusing it with my recent acquisition of EtherPeek.

SnarkFish
This post probably contains a URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepecheMode
Thank you for the correction, I incorrectly described the program, confusing it with my recent acquisition of EtherPeek.
really the only way i can see snadboy's revelation as malware was if there was also a remote control or VNC client installed. otherwise it serves no purpose to a remote attacker (unless there's some backdoor in it, but i don't think it even tries to go online, or has an online component at all)

edit: well, if your physical security was compromised, it could also be considered malware

DepecheMode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnarkFish
really the only way i can see snadboy's revelation as malware was if there was also a remote control or VNC client installed. otherwise it serves no purpose to a remote attacker (unless there's some backdoor in it, but i don't think it even tries to go online, or has an online component at all)

edit: well, if your physical security was compromised, it could also be considered malware

I will keep that in consideration.
Thank you.

Dm