General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Namtaru

Post your spring home projects

Bought a new home a couple months ago and am starting to get into all the fun of owning and maintaining a house.

The weather is finally starting to get nice out here in Illinois west of Chicago and I have been dying to start having some fires out back.

I was at Home Depot today and found a great deal on retaining wall bricks, about 80% off so i bought a bunch and built a firepit.

Also went to Ikea and bought a Galant for a new desk in the office, and a wall mount for my 4th monitor that I've never had anywhere to put on my old small desk.

Currently in the process of installing a 19" touchscreen setup in my garage with a mac mini mounted on the back running Windows7 and XBMC. It will be nice to have when I'm working on stuff in the garage and want to stream something or listen to some tunes.
Up next after that, new paint throughout the house and new window treatments.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

malamute face
Long time. Me lobe yoy long time.

I love that fire pit! Nice jerb.

We have a Galant desk in our office, too.

First spring project happens in a few weeks. Going from:

To:

Can't wait.
Growler & I hate olives <3
Pyramid is my speakerhumper BFF

Total: 24

cokezeroholic

Remodeling our guest bathroom. Hit a snag last night, but correcting it over the next few days. Will post pics on it when I'm done, also the pictures from the master bath renovation we did earlier this year.

bumpirate

I like the quad monitor setup!

mech

firepit looks cool...get it, looks cool?

computer setup is A+

cokezeroholic

Not really a fire pit, just an enclosed campfire area.

Sarah Palin

I did my first floor powder room over the weekend, the plan for this spring is to get the rest of the first floor painted, and curtains made.

before:

After:

Lilly helped!

illig

not really my project since i just paid my landlord to do it - but a significant boost to my apartment's comfort:

went from this (useless POS):

to this (amazing and spacious ):

the landlord still needs to put together a filler panel for the left side of the new dishwasher - but that can wait - the important thing is i don't have to deal with a sink full of dirty dishes ever again

Namtaru

What was there before hand? Cupboard space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsiholic View Post
Not really a fire pit, just an enclosed campfire area.

Quote:
firepit(fire·pit)
noun
a pit dug into the ground or made from stones, masonry, etc., for keeping a fire used for cooking or warmth.

illig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namtaru View Post

Standard 30" cabinet - and dishwashers are 24" so there's a bit of extra space that needs to be filled in - i'm thinking about a small narrow shelf for cutting boards and cooling racks - but it's only about 5.5" and once you add sides it may be too narrow to be useful

landlord is very handy (residential construction trades person) so if he may think of something.

Pigs
this broccolis is sufficient

re-did our wood white "picket" fence. It involved, power washing, removing and replacing rotten slats, then repainting. Took us forever. Not really worth it actually. Should have just replaced it. Course it was probably cheaper than replacing it. We spent about 150 on wood and paint.

Jehannum

My kitchen: a 3 phased approach.

I have to build a new cutout for my refrigerator, as none of the "princess" sized ones were worth a crap, so I picked up a bigger badder one.

1) I will remove the doorframe seen in the picture below, and fill it in with frame, drywall, an electrical outlet (for the fridge), and a water line (also for the fridge). Also I will have to demolish the pantry (crap-ass white cabinet between the doorframe and the refrigerator).

As a bonus, I will set up the other side of that doorframe with a coat closet, to replace our coat rack.

I will also remove most of the wall and all of the cabinets in the picture below, and relocate the stove there. On the other side of that wall is my living room.

Phase 2: tile and demolition

I will remove all of the floor cabinets, pull up all the linoleum, and tile the kitchen from wall to wall.

I will use the same tile as in the dining room (in fact, continuing the tiling pattern from that room, thus avoiding the need to worry about a threshold)

Phase 3: cabinetry and countertops

I will rebuild the cabinets in alder ply (though in a different configuration, and not nearly as a shitty), and replace the countertops with either granite or concrete.

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

cokezeroholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namtaru View Post

It looks like it's just flush with the rest of the ground. Lighting doesn't help either. Whatever, splitting hairs here.

imsusan

Wow, it's a great project! It's a pity that I don't have my own house.

illig

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsusan View Post
Wow, it's a great project! It's a pity that I don't have my own house.

QFT - i'd kill for a backyard