General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

workingnonstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
Honestly I wouldn't let it get you down. Fitness means different things to different people. For instance, I need to be able to take hit after hit from rugby and still be effective. That sort of shit doesn't matter to most other folks.

Haha I know man... but I appreciate the kind words. I'm a long way from being a Vendetta, and just do what I can. Even when I was in school and going to the gym all the time I couldn't do this whole list.

I'm honestly just happy when I can get out of work to exercise a few times a week. I would love to be ripped etc etc, but I'm satisfied enough at getting exercise whenever I can.

"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." -- Robert Wilensky

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingnonstop View Post
Haha I know man... but I appreciate the kind words. I'm a long way from being a Vendetta, and just do what I can. Even when I was in school and going to the gym all the time I couldn't do this whole list.

I'm honestly just happy when I can get out of work to exercise a few times a week. I would love to be ripped etc etc, but I'm satisfied enough at getting exercise whenever I can.

It really depends on goals and what you have to train for. If you just want to train for overall levels of fitness, I think it's a good list. I myself train with weights every day for strength and appearance. I also train to be quick on a soccer or rugby field. But I rarely have need for sustained running, even something like a 5k, at a sustained pace.

It's funny, running these 5 milers or whatever with the wife, I will always vary the speed. I'll flat out sprint part of it, and then slow down. I never trained the other way.

Malne

I can (or could atleast) do a 7 minute mile before my asthma kicked in and I had to stop.

I have bad shoulders and probably would top out at ~130lb bench right now before they would start sticking.

Squat and Deadlift - haven't been in an actual gym for a while but squat probably, deadlift definitely.

Pushups - maybe, asthma/shoulders would probably kick in but I'd say 50/50 chance to complete. Might try this out and see how the wrist feels. Oh yeah, recently broken wrist could get in the way as well.

Pullups - Probably, I only ever do them at the end of a climbing session and manage 4-5 so 10 when I'm fresh shouldn't be a big deal. I need to get a bar back in my house, I used to do them everyday whenever I was bored and was easily up to 15-20 w/ full extension.

On the other hand, I regularly spend 2-3hrs 3-4 days a week climbing in my local bouldering gym and I just spent 5+ hours hiking, skinning and skiing Saint Mary's glacier/James' Peak today, and I'll be hitting up Berthoud Pass tomorrow.

I'm a little overweight but I consider myself pretty fit, I just like food a little more than I maybe should.

SemperFly

no kipping on the pullups

dead hang, elbows fully extended

-=Antimatter=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFly View Post
2 miles? 3 miles at an 8 minute pace would be more appropriate

Usually the zombies give up after 2 miles

workingnonstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
It really depends on goals and what you have to train for. If you just want to train for overall levels of fitness, I think it's a good list. I myself train with weights every day for strength and appearance. I also train to be quick on a soccer or rugby field. But I rarely have need for sustained running, even something like a 5k, at a sustained pace.

It's funny, running these 5 milers or whatever with the wife, I will always vary the speed. I'll flat out sprint part of it, and then slow down. I never trained the other way.

Thanks. I had always erred on the side of running more because I'm naturally a bigger guy and wanted to be a bit leaner... maybe not the best choice but just recently started doing more with weights. That said I can still run a distance, which is nice - did a 10 mile run today since I had the time. I was running 4x7 minute miles a few months back before slowing down, which I thought was good considering I'm not really built like a runner (~6'2" ~215lbs). I might be able to still squeak out 2 in a row, but I'm working 90+hrs a week, and it's getting harder to push myself that much even when I can get to the gym, unfortunately. Nowadays my goal is just to match or beat the prior workout, makes things a bit more satisfying from day to day, and I guess I'm healthy enough.

"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." -- Robert Wilensky

gribly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFly View Post
2 miles? 3 miles at an 8 minute pace would be more appropriate

Last time I ran was about two years ago, at about an 8 minute pace on a shattered heel and ankle. For 7 miles and then some. I'm still limping, been 6 months since I gave up my cane, but at least the VA is taking care of my busted ass. If I wasn't concerned with flaring up my arthritis, I still meet the requirements on that original list, with no breaks in between tests. If you ain't CAV, you ain't SHIT.

Forgot to mention, I'm not some skinny little fuck, either. I'm 215lbs, 73" tall. I can only work out my upper body safely now, though. I hate seeing people with perfectly good feet that don't take advantage of them.

SemperFly

think vibrams might help once you're healed up?

gribly

Not a chance, I can't even stand comfortably without drugs and custom molded graphite inserts. According to my latest MRI, my left foot has a bone that did not quite end up as the same shape it was before after the bone grew back together. Thank goodness I have no bone necrosis.

SemperFly

<3

gribly

Well, it's not as bad as it sounds. If I take my meds and wear the right shoes I can even work a full day on my feet, if I go easy and am careful. I'm 25, I can deal with it.

coalesce

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Antimatter=- View Post
Curious if there are major differences of opinion here, particularly between US folks and other countries.

I would consider a person to be "in shape" if they can do all of the following as a basic test:

- Run at least 2 miles at a 7 minute pace (or better)
- Bench press body weight
- Squat body weight
- Deadlift body weight
- 40 pushups without pause
- 10 strict form pullups

What's your criteria?

I think those standards are a little too high with the exception of the deadlift your own body weight. That seems really low to me lol.

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

body fat and vo2 max, don't really care about how much someone can lift.

U Caught The Gay

Round is a shape...

Clos
cheezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeawesome View Post
body fat and vo2 max, don't really care about how much someone can lift.

It's not so much the amount someone can lift, it's that they routinely do resistance exercise. Someone who routinely does resistance exercise will (likely) have stronger muscles and joints compared to someone who is sedentary or only does cardio exercise.

You're setting yourself up to being less prone to injury by lifting weights. I'm fairly strong (1200+ bench/squat/deadlift total), and spent Friday night loading up two trailers with 200-300lb cuts of downed tree. That's not a practical or daily practice for most, but I didn't tire or have to "watch out" for my back. I just picked up the crap and put it on the trailer.

Being in shape to me means finding an even ground between having muscular strength, cardiovascular endurance, and practical bodyweight strength and endurance.

I always make sure I can go for a quick run (7:30 over 3 miles) because I like to know that I will be able to make military standards, and I'd be able to cover a bit of ground quickly if SHTF or whatever else.

I always make sure I'm trained well enough to be able to overcome natural obstacles. If I'm holding on to the edge of a cliff with one hand, I have the strength to pull myself back up.

I make sure that most objects wouldn't give me difficulty in moving. If something needs to be moved, I want to be able to move it.

One of the best parts of being a man to me is trying to become a strong man. Men are supposed to be strong and able to take care of whatever life throws at them.